GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Just can't get excited...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/07/05 at 16:28
Regular
...about any new Xbox releases.

Was looking forward to GTA, but hardly played it as I'm addicted to Juiced, but there doesn't seem to be anything on the horizon that I'm looking forward too. Before, there's always been one or two games that I've had my eye on. But not so any more.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm growing out of gaming. Been doing it for the last 12 years, so maybe I've just had enough.

Who knows.

All the hyped releases just don't seem to have done anything for me. Halo 2, Ninja Gaiden, Prince of Persia, Forza even GTA just don't seem to have got me hooked like I thought they would. Not helped, admittedly, by my being hyped up by that shitmag OXM, which I have now cancelled my subscription to.

Maybe it's because I just don't have enough time to play games anymore. Part of me would love to be able to sit down for a couple of undisturbed hours and roam San Andreas, or play through Albion again ( which I really enjoyed the first time round).

Maybe it's because the games are all so similar. Think about the most hyped games of the last year:

Halo 2 - sequel.
Splinter Cell - Sequel
GTA - Sequel
Pop - Update, then two sequels.
Ninja Gaiden - Update.

Then the yearly EA stuff. Fifa, Tonty Hawks, Madden etc etc. Let's face it, Forza was just a GT clone. I didn't want to go off on a "There's no originality in games anymore", but that seems to be the conclusion I'm drawn to.

I'm not really all that excited about the 360 either. Most of the things hyped about the machine seem to revolve around Live. Which I don't have. And after my car going to the scrapheap in the sky, I won't be getting for sometime, either. And look at the early titles for th 360 - Halo 3, PGR 3, NFSU 2, FIFA 2006. Sequel, sequel, sequel, update....

But after this ramble, I guess the point I'm getting to is that are there any games out there I should be getting excited about? The sort of game that sneaks under the radar, sort of how Phantom Crash did - that's a great little game - easy yo get into and so much fun.

It's all very well having great graphics and all that, but games need to be more fun. Less complicated and more fun.

The end.
Thu 28/07/05 at 12:50
Regular
So you'll be able to play on Live for free?

I thought that was only included in the Gold membership?
Thu 28/07/05 at 12:28
"Was the man of marz"
Forza had too many multiplayer glitches and San andreas wasn't the improvement the past ports where. I wasn't excited about the 360 until I heard the words standard, live and free
Thu 28/07/05 at 11:23
Regular
Sometimes sequels are changed for the worse when they do something new.

Command & Conquer Generals for example was inferior to Red Alert 2. They took out the cutscenes which, although were cheesy, gave a point to playing the game instead of generic mission text. And the upgrade to an all 3D graphics engine just changed the game too much to be classed as a Command & Conquer...

...anyway, what my point is, is that sequels can be great if they're very similar with just a few necessary tweaks such as the graphics engine and stages (obviously)
Thu 28/07/05 at 10:14
Regular
There's plenty of original games around, especially coming out on 360. I'd hardly call Ninja Gaiden or Prince of Persia sequels, all they did really was take the name of an old game and do something completly different with it.

I'm never bothered with sequels though, as long as they do enough new stuff and do it well. San Andreas for example is an excellent example of a sequel, or by the looks of it PGR3 and Call of Duty 2.
Thu 28/07/05 at 03:26
Regular
"8==="
Serious Sam 2 should be good too.

Still another sequel but that's what you get with games that have sold well + a console reaching saturation point with it's users/user-base.
Thu 28/07/05 at 02:34
Regular
"£££"
Im kinda in the same position as Your Honour, nowadays i hardly ever play my Playstation 2, the last time i played is almost 3 months ago, and all the new releases like the PS3 doesn't seem to 'turn me on' like i was when i first heard about the PS2, mybe's itz coz most games are now similar e.g James Bond EON and Splinter Cell. I just feel like im outgrowing games, because i dont have anymore time, coz of skol n all dat, sometimes that saddens me, its like how young people are afraid of getting older.........
Wed 27/07/05 at 23:45
Regular
"The definitive tag"
I think this is just one of the first signs of a console's life coming to an end.

The peak of what can be achieved on the current generation of consoles is most definitely behind us, there's no doubt about that. San Andreas, Halo 2 and any of the other heavyweights of this generation pretty much took the console's to their limits. Anything released post-San Andreas, Halo 2, Pro Evo 4 etc is just going to be more of the same because there simply is no room left for improvement.

There aren't really any more games I'm seriously excited about for the current generation. The only big one left for me is The Twilight Princess. I'll still take a look at Tony Hawks 7 this Christmas and maybe a few other sequels, but for me, that'll be it for the current generation.
Wed 27/07/05 at 22:03
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Fair enough YH, but I'd disagree you're growing "out" of gaming.
I've been playing since I got an atari and have been gaming for the past 20yrs or so with no sign of abating.
I've seen videogames grow from tennis being two bars batting a pixel from side to side right up to the 360 and been hooked all the way.
Perhaps you just dont enjoy the current crop of games? And with the launch of the 360 in a couple of months, there's not going to be any real killer apps released before then is there?

I'm loving San Andreas for the single player, and with Live I'm still thumping through Forza, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon2, Burnout 3 and a few others.
Each to their own I spose
Wed 27/07/05 at 21:17
Regular
"8==="
Deus Ex scored high across the board and sold well enough.

I preferred it to the original which was a little too square in most of it's environments.

Far Cry: Instincts has some extras on the Xbox does it not?

I expect Thief 3 works best on a console because it works best in third person most of the time.
Wed 27/07/05 at 21:13
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Deus Ex 2 was generally considered to be pretty much not worth it.

Far Cry is good but not amazing uber wow omfg.

I'd like Thief 3 on PC.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.