GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS3... what can it do?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/07/05 at 15:05
"MSR"
Hi I'm Eseer and what the hell can the PS3 do that is so great?

Can it play PS1 games and PS2 games?

Can it play DVDs?

When is it coming out?

What does it look like?

What are the graphics like?

Can it play only one region?

Can it do anything else?
Sun 07/08/05 at 14:19
"High polygon count"
And they're working on an Xbox 360 emulator for it, too, don'cha know.
Sun 07/08/05 at 14:16
Regular
they say that the ps3 will be about 30 times fastest then the ps2 and it can play all of the ps1 n ps2 games already out
Tue 02/08/05 at 09:08
"For the horde!!!!"
Everthing except iron your boxers :D
Sun 31/07/05 at 00:58
Regular
"Yes you are"
It apparently took them just 2 months to convert the Unreal Engine into usable and interactive PS3 code, so middleware shouldn't be a problem.

Expect several smaller/independent companies to fall by the wayside, though. Not necessarily a bad thing, given the ratings most of their games get.

Despite the issues Bonus raises, the PS3 is allegedly much easier to develop for than the PS2 is (or was, when first released).
Thu 28/07/05 at 16:14
Regular
The PS3 could be a capable beast, but it wont show much more in terms of gameplay improvements other than graphics over what is currently possible with the PC, maybe even Xbox.

It has had the out of order execution stripped and branch prediction mechanisms from the IBM core which could limit performance in math intensicve situations such as physics and collision data.

It will be a very capable rendering beast however, with algorithmic modelling possible in real-time.

Shaders will make the graphics looks immense, and as for everything it will cost an absolute fortune to make a good game untilising the hardware unless good middleware is put into place. Which is slowly happening, but not on the scale of Microsoft's XNA.
Thu 28/07/05 at 15:20
Regular
[URL]http://specialreserve.co.uk/playstation-3/[/URL]

Pics of PS3 on this very site.
Thu 28/07/05 at 15:19
Regular
Eseer Yonnos Sllim wrote:
> Hi I'm Eseer and what the hell can the PS3 do that is so great?

Don't know yet. Its likely to be able to match the tech demos shown at E3 and should easily be capable of reproducing gameplay like the footage seen in Killzone 2. Time will tell on all that though.

> Can it play PS1 games and PS2 games?

Looks very likely that it'll be fully backwards-compatible.

> Can it play DVDs?

Almost certainly again. This is something I'm less sure of, but isn't it going to do blu-ray as well? The two new formats, blu-ray and hd-dvd seem to be the way forward for quality of dvd, and Sony are one of the biggest supporters of blu-ray (don't rely on all that I've said there though, I just put that together form bits I've read).

> When is it coming out?

Who knows! Ken maybe? My guess would be Christmas 2006 here.

> What does it look like?

There are pictures everywhere on ps3.ign.com and probably on this site too under the PS3 section. Look around!

> What are the graphics like?

Excellent if the Killzone 2 demo is anything to go on. What do you expect? The specs wipe the floor with any other console (although I'm saying it that way to see if there is a console war on the cards for this topic) and should look excellent.

> Can it play only one region?

The PSP went on a different more flexible route, but I expect PS3 will stick to the narrower path.

> Can it do anything else?

The PSM2 version could make toast.
Thu 28/07/05 at 15:05
"MSR"
Hi I'm Eseer and what the hell can the PS3 do that is so great?

Can it play PS1 games and PS2 games?

Can it play DVDs?

When is it coming out?

What does it look like?

What are the graphics like?

Can it play only one region?

Can it do anything else?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.