GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best. Uni Project. Ever."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 28/03/03 at 12:24
Regular
"Do something creative". That's the brief we were given by our eccentric Sound and Music lecturer. "But what?", we asked. "Audio, video, combinations of the two?". My imagination went into overload! So I've decided to do possibly the most ambitious thing I've ever done - a music video with me playing all the instruments! Imagine that - 4 mes monging about on screen playing drurms and guitar and stuff. Its gonna be ace, I can see it all now. I spent the morning putting a little demo together of how I plan to do this kind of blue-screen technique that works quite well. Obviously the finished version won't be in my hallway and it'll be gooder, but it shows that it can be done with the crappy equipment that I have! All I have to do now is record the music, film the video and edit it all together!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ paul.whiston/videos/guitar_walkpast.zip

Look - there's 2 of me!
Sat 29/03/03 at 15:12
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
Number 1) sounds good. But that new Quotsa vid? It's... dodgy.
Sat 29/03/03 at 08:57
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Heh that is a cool assignment :-)
Sat 29/03/03 at 08:46
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
OK, I've had a couple of ideas so I need your opinions.

1. Multiple Mongs
A band made up entirely of the same person playing all the instruments. 16 colours person set on a white backdrop.

2. Wire frame band.
The band playing is made up of only their outlines, which are just black on white and pixelated. Would be very interesting, but I'd also need to decide if their inards are see-through or not.
Fri 28/03/03 at 16:52
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Yes. Think that new QOTSA video...but crapper :P
Fri 28/03/03 at 16:40
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
Very nice.
Fri 28/03/03 at 16:23
"slightlyshortertagl"
hmmmm

Interesting... has some potential :-D
Fri 28/03/03 at 15:03
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Long time no see :-)

(Unlike you I have to do boring university work. And I still have tonnes to do...)

Anyhow, if you want to make your video look rock then you'd be best off using Adobe After Effects.. (Premiere can do blue-screen stuff but it's not very good at it). After Effects lets you have layers and you get plug-ins for it that will key out blue or green screen stuff rather well. You can also go for the full blown rotoscoping (poncy name for going through footage frame by frame and masking out the bits you don't want) approach as used by pro's such as Michael Gondry (the genius behind the multiple Kylies video and the Chemical Brothers video with the multiple people in. Also you may find that green screen works slightly better for DV video cameras, and that the whole process will be improved if you use the best available camera, as some of the cheaper ones aren't too hot at giving accurate colours.

If you want to give After Effects a go then I can e-mail you some cool plug-ins. (For legal reasons I'll just add that the plug-ins are demos and even so you should delete them after 24 hours yadda yadda.)
Fri 28/03/03 at 13:53
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Cool, sounds like fun!

Much more fun than my "investigation into 2d lighting algorithms for games programming" which involves pages upon pages of code similar to: -

pDestRed = (*pDest & red_mask);
if (pSourceRed > 2047 && pSourceRed < 63489){
t = (
pDestRed +
(pSourceRed *
(pTempPointLight->iR * intens))
);

if(t > red_mask) t = red_mask;
tdest |= t & red_mask;
}

My head is *battered*
ARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fri 28/03/03 at 12:31
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Yip, they're both me! not as good as I hoped, but it can definitely be improved on.
Fri 28/03/03 at 12:28
Regular
"cachoo"
Is that you in the background too?! It's good.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.