GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-Box = PC?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 20/01/01 at 13:02
Regular
Won't the X-Box just be a glorified PC. I wouldn't wast my money on one. I am getting a GameCube, simply due to my trust in Nintendo, and my knowledge that they have the best games. I also have a PC. It's great. So I am not getting an X-Box. My PC is faster.
Sun 28/01/01 at 17:41
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Hey man... what am I supposed to do If not talk about specs?!?!?! ... Youd think there was some other use for consoles... there not toy for people who wanna play games you know!
Sun 28/01/01 at 17:38
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Yeah, didn't they drop the cpu down to something more like 400Mhz? Anyway, can people stop posting the specs over and over, they're already in loads of other topics.
Sat 27/01/01 at 22:55
Regular
"^_^"
You do have a point there but I want to say that Microsoft aim to release the XBOX for hristmas this year. Meaning that the things you said maight not ahve happened. Also I think that Microsoft after selling the XBOX in America are going to use more updates in the PAl conversion. I mean look at Microsoft everything is updated. Windows 1998 is now out classed by Windows 2000 and graphics chips are getting beter all the time like you said. So lets wait and see.
Sat 27/01/01 at 22:10
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Kind of but not quite. the X-Box has a good spec today, but you've got to remember that its not going to be released until late next year.

NVida themselves have been quoted as saying that the graphics chip inside the X-Box is 2 generations ahead of their current GeForce2 and since a new generation 3D card tends to pop up every 6 months or so, by the time the X-Box get into the market, the same spec or better graphics card with be avalible for purchase.

Also by which time a P3 733 Mhz PC will be out of date. besides, havnt Microsoft decided to use a slower chip?

DVD drives are already popular enough for magazines to be producing DVD versions. DVD drives themselves are already dirt cheap.

You'll be hard pressed to get a res of 1920x1080 on a good 17 inch monitor and you'll have no chance of getting that res on a TV screen. its just a max available spec. Not a expected standard.

I'm not trying to have a go at the X-Box. I'm very interested in its progress and am a potential customer. But I'm not going to lie to myself that its better than it actually is.
Sat 27/01/01 at 21:59
Regular
"^_^"
How fast is your Pc? The X-box is the eqivlant of a Pentium III 733 mhz Pc. With the best Pc graphics card you will be able to get. The graphics is 250Mhz custom-designed chip, developed by Microsoft and nVidia it haas a total memory of 64MB. It has a memory Bandwith of 6.4GB a sec 125 M per second, 4 simultaneous textures, a pixel fill rate of 4.0 gb per second, all memory cards are 8MB, 256 audio channels, 4 game controler slots, 64 3D channels, DVD playback but you need a controller and a maximum resolution of 1920x1080.
Sat 20/01/01 at 13:28
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Kind of... more like a PC is a glofied X-Box... Mind you couldnt that be said of all consoles) However, I dont think thats really the point... otherwise consoles would never sell, and everyone would just buy a PC.
Sat 20/01/01 at 13:02
Won't the X-Box just be a glorified PC. I wouldn't wast my money on one. I am getting a GameCube, simply due to my trust in Nintendo, and my knowledge that they have the best games. I also have a PC. It's great. So I am not getting an X-Box. My PC is faster.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.