GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Diouf Was Wrong But So Were All Those Fans."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 27/03/03 at 11:42
Regular
They are scared. Terrified, some of them. Speak to players and there is a very genuine fear one of their number is about to get seriously hurt by a spectator. That is the one mitigation missing from the fevered condemnation of Liverpool’s El-Hadji Diouf.

A quick recap of recent events shows Diouf had good reason to be afraid as he went cartwheeling into the parkhead crowd when Liverpool played Celtic at home a couple of weeks back.

Thierry Henry, struck by a coin thrown by Chelsea fans at Highbury (where Liverpool’s own Jamie Carragher had been hit the year before), Newcastle’s black players racially abused in Milan, Robbie Savage confronted by a Aston Villa thug during the Birmingham derby, then the recipient of death threats.

How was Diouf, 22 and from Senegal, meant to decipher in seconds that the slap on his head from a Celtic fan was an act of fun, not aggression?

In West Africa it’s one of the biggest insults that can be paid to a man, as demeaning and vile as being spat upon is here. The fans weren’t to know that and it does not diminish Diouf’s disgusting behaviour. But the fact remains – had the punters kept their hands to themselves it wouldn’t have happened.

One Celtic fan said “ we tried to help the player up and lift him back on to the wall – some of them gave him a pat on the back”
Of course they did. And the Crystal Palace fan that inspired Eric Cantona’s Jung-Fu kick, really did shout nothing more that “off you go, Cantona – it’s an early shower for you” as he claimed.

It just doesn’t wash. What Diouf did was wrong and Liverpool’s action was swift and appropriate. But too many football grounds these days are full of liberty takers looking to hurl abuse and worse at fit, young men who would take them to the cleaners in any fair fight.

When these guys get into trouble off the filed, I don’t see many tales where they come off second best. That’s why the half –wit who managed to reach Savage at Villa Park danced around him nervously rather than throwing a punch. He took a look and didn’t fancy it.
He was a coward. Like the guys with the coins and the monkey chants. They enjoy safety numbers and total anonymity.

I have no time for what Diouf did, but I know why he did it. Players have had enough. Next time there is a pitch invasion, perhaps the police should let the yobs on one at a time.

I know who my money is on.

Thanks for reading.
Thu 27/03/03 at 18:32
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Yes, this is clearly copied due to the huge difference in quality from this and your usual posts.

BAN HIM!
Thu 27/03/03 at 16:55
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I agree with the point you made.

But what Diouf did was wrong. Very wrong, speaking to friends who were at the game and very close to the incident they said nobody said anything racist at all about the player.
One gave him a pat on the head, not a slap and others helped lift him up. If they had slapped him I would have expected his reaction to be a little closer to when they done it and not after he was up and heading back towards the pitch.

Fans shouting racial abuse is one things, but for others to use it as an excuse when they know it would be hard to prove it was or wasn't is another thing.

Also the point wookiee made, I was in a pub watching the game and fans were shouting racist comments at the tv after it.
I asked "What about Balde, does that make him a ....."

No they replied, he's one of ours.

These are the folk who give football fans a bad name and spoil it for everyone who goes for the entertainment of the football game.
Thu 27/03/03 at 16:46
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I agree that there wasn't as much talk of the supporter being to blame then there should have been. They have no reason to touch the opposing teams players even if that are joking or being playful. For all they know they could be being attacked rather than getting a nice pat on the back or being helped back on the pitch. Sure Diouf was wrong to spit at him but the supporter provoked it.

By the way good post, can't remember which sunday paper you copied it from but it was a good point made then and is now.
Thu 27/03/03 at 16:24
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
I agree. But racism is something that will never be taken out of football unfortunately.

Whether it be from the fans or other players trying to get a fellow player red carded.

What Diouf did was wrong, no getting around that. But we have to remember that players are human. Some people say they should let it roll of their backs and its part of the game.
Well people can be arrested for racial abuse why should it be any different in a football stadium. Maybe these types of people think because they have paid money to watch this event that this gives them the right to treat players as they wish.

Anyway, good post mate.
Thu 27/03/03 at 16:17
"High polygon count"
Agree totally.

What really puzzles me is that a lot of these fans that hurl racial abuse have black players in their own teams. How the hell do they balance that?

Do they somehow make their players 'honorary white men' or something?

If, just for example, Jimmy Floyd was to hear Chelsea fans shouting racial abuse at Toure - how do they think he would feel?

You have to wonder about these 'people'.
Thu 27/03/03 at 13:08
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
You're absolutely right there, Elephant Man.

Racism is sick and racists shouldn't be allowed to exist, let alone be allowed to go to football matches in which there will be many black players.
Some people can't understand that black players are now as common as white.

Good topic Elephant Man.
Thu 27/03/03 at 11:42
Regular
They are scared. Terrified, some of them. Speak to players and there is a very genuine fear one of their number is about to get seriously hurt by a spectator. That is the one mitigation missing from the fevered condemnation of Liverpool’s El-Hadji Diouf.

A quick recap of recent events shows Diouf had good reason to be afraid as he went cartwheeling into the parkhead crowd when Liverpool played Celtic at home a couple of weeks back.

Thierry Henry, struck by a coin thrown by Chelsea fans at Highbury (where Liverpool’s own Jamie Carragher had been hit the year before), Newcastle’s black players racially abused in Milan, Robbie Savage confronted by a Aston Villa thug during the Birmingham derby, then the recipient of death threats.

How was Diouf, 22 and from Senegal, meant to decipher in seconds that the slap on his head from a Celtic fan was an act of fun, not aggression?

In West Africa it’s one of the biggest insults that can be paid to a man, as demeaning and vile as being spat upon is here. The fans weren’t to know that and it does not diminish Diouf’s disgusting behaviour. But the fact remains – had the punters kept their hands to themselves it wouldn’t have happened.

One Celtic fan said “ we tried to help the player up and lift him back on to the wall – some of them gave him a pat on the back”
Of course they did. And the Crystal Palace fan that inspired Eric Cantona’s Jung-Fu kick, really did shout nothing more that “off you go, Cantona – it’s an early shower for you” as he claimed.

It just doesn’t wash. What Diouf did was wrong and Liverpool’s action was swift and appropriate. But too many football grounds these days are full of liberty takers looking to hurl abuse and worse at fit, young men who would take them to the cleaners in any fair fight.

When these guys get into trouble off the filed, I don’t see many tales where they come off second best. That’s why the half –wit who managed to reach Savage at Villa Park danced around him nervously rather than throwing a punch. He took a look and didn’t fancy it.
He was a coward. Like the guys with the coins and the monkey chants. They enjoy safety numbers and total anonymity.

I have no time for what Diouf did, but I know why he did it. Players have had enough. Next time there is a pitch invasion, perhaps the police should let the yobs on one at a time.

I know who my money is on.

Thanks for reading.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.