GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why some DVD pictures are not always as good as should be"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 19/01/01 at 19:42
Regular
Someone asked me something along the lines of this earlier today so I thought I'd share the answer I gave with anyone else who was wondering the same thing.

I won't go over the top with any techie information but, as some of you will probably know, the video stored on DVDs is compressed to between 300K/second and 1000K/second depending on a number of factors, primarily the quality of the original video being compressed.

In being compressed, the data will lose some of it's clarity when it is decompressed. The more compressed it was, the more this will be noticeable. On older, less well produced films, the picture can be compressed a lot when stored (up to approx 300K/second) and retrieved with no noticeable loss in quality.

If a newer release was compressed to this degree the resulting picture would show a grainy picture on even the best players. That is why they are compressed to a less extent (nearer 1000K/second) so that less data is lost during the compression.

Now then, to the question, which you may have already worked out the answer to. Some new films show (usually very slight) signs of grain throughout (Gremlins is a good example). This is because the level of compression used was wrongly chosen (i.e compressed too much) and the decompressed picture shows signs of some data being lost in the process. It may be that, due to loads of extra footage, this was necessary to fit it onto the dics. If this was the case then the ideal solution would be to compress the extras to a higher extent than the main feature, but this is rarely done.

If this bored you then you've probably not read far enough to be reading this bit.
Mon 22/12/08 at 21:28
"The Boss Lady"
I forgot Tartan Video had owned the distributions rights to this film prior to going bankrupt in July/August this year. This is a company that refused to support Montage Film Reviews in the beginning (2006); so all I can do is laugh.

All the money and contacts in the world are useless without vision - of which they had none.

lol!
Mon 22/12/08 at 15:54
"The Boss Lady"
When I first rented this film I put it in watched the first ten minutes and then took it out saying to myself "S**t, why did I pick this. I hate war movies".

Having finally watched it last night I can recommend to you all. I love Korean cinema, including this film.

It follows the story of a Coast Guard who accidentally kills a guy who is making love to his girlfriend on the beach. As a result, she goes mad and he does also and a whole lot of other just plain wrong shit goes down...
Sat 20/01/01 at 21:17
Shouldnt there be some sort of Quality rating on DVDs then, so you could tell how good the quality is, after all nobody wants an overcompressed movie with lousey quality.
Fri 19/01/01 at 19:42
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Someone asked me something along the lines of this earlier today so I thought I'd share the answer I gave with anyone else who was wondering the same thing.

I won't go over the top with any techie information but, as some of you will probably know, the video stored on DVDs is compressed to between 300K/second and 1000K/second depending on a number of factors, primarily the quality of the original video being compressed.

In being compressed, the data will lose some of it's clarity when it is decompressed. The more compressed it was, the more this will be noticeable. On older, less well produced films, the picture can be compressed a lot when stored (up to approx 300K/second) and retrieved with no noticeable loss in quality.

If a newer release was compressed to this degree the resulting picture would show a grainy picture on even the best players. That is why they are compressed to a less extent (nearer 1000K/second) so that less data is lost during the compression.

Now then, to the question, which you may have already worked out the answer to. Some new films show (usually very slight) signs of grain throughout (Gremlins is a good example). This is because the level of compression used was wrongly chosen (i.e compressed too much) and the decompressed picture shows signs of some data being lost in the process. It may be that, due to loads of extra footage, this was necessary to fit it onto the dics. If this was the case then the ideal solution would be to compress the extras to a higher extent than the main feature, but this is rarely done.

If this bored you then you've probably not read far enough to be reading this bit.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.