GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Driving me mad 2"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 24/03/03 at 13:51
Regular
I'm still driving, despite all the things this government and local councils do to make it a less than pleasant experience. It's hard not to notice all the tricks they get up to, seemingly just to annoy the average road user.

I've been noticing that more speed checks are being done these days, on top of all the new speed cameras that are going up. It’s not so much this that really gets me though, yes I know that I should be driving at the right speed and all that, but you’d think it would be just a little bit helpful to put signs up actually telling you the speed limit? If I were just a little bit more cynical, I might suggest that they actually DID want to catch people speeding and that it might be something to do with the money they make from the fines.

With this in mind, it’s nice to see that they are still spending money on the roads. Friday happens to be one of the busiest days on our roads in the west-country, particularly when the whether has been as good as it is now. So you’d think that they would put up traffic cones and cordon off roads at the beginning of the week when the traffic was at its lowest. No, Friday morning saw one lane of the motorway closed off each side, roadworks on the local roads and just about every way imaginable of stopping the traffic from travelling. Fantastic. Not that any of it seems to make much difference to the road at all, and you know that a few weeks later they’ll be digging it all up again because someone forgot to lay one pipe.

No wonder racing games sell so well, the only chance you have of getting any enjoyment out of driving these days is to join the hoodie kids in their dad’s cars doing doughnuts in Tesco car-park (no thanks!) or become a kart racer (too much money). At least when I go over to Spain they know how to use their motorways, and are their roads any less safe because of it? No.

So I’ll continue to wince when I get into the car on a sunny day, knowing that sooner or later I’ll get stuck in a jam or have to look at my speedo every ten seconds because of a police sign that tells me I may find a speed trap within the next 100 miles (probably with both policemen having lunch). Happy driving people!
Mon 24/03/03 at 13:51
"possibly impossible"
I'm still driving, despite all the things this government and local councils do to make it a less than pleasant experience. It's hard not to notice all the tricks they get up to, seemingly just to annoy the average road user.

I've been noticing that more speed checks are being done these days, on top of all the new speed cameras that are going up. It’s not so much this that really gets me though, yes I know that I should be driving at the right speed and all that, but you’d think it would be just a little bit helpful to put signs up actually telling you the speed limit? If I were just a little bit more cynical, I might suggest that they actually DID want to catch people speeding and that it might be something to do with the money they make from the fines.

With this in mind, it’s nice to see that they are still spending money on the roads. Friday happens to be one of the busiest days on our roads in the west-country, particularly when the whether has been as good as it is now. So you’d think that they would put up traffic cones and cordon off roads at the beginning of the week when the traffic was at its lowest. No, Friday morning saw one lane of the motorway closed off each side, roadworks on the local roads and just about every way imaginable of stopping the traffic from travelling. Fantastic. Not that any of it seems to make much difference to the road at all, and you know that a few weeks later they’ll be digging it all up again because someone forgot to lay one pipe.

No wonder racing games sell so well, the only chance you have of getting any enjoyment out of driving these days is to join the hoodie kids in their dad’s cars doing doughnuts in Tesco car-park (no thanks!) or become a kart racer (too much money). At least when I go over to Spain they know how to use their motorways, and are their roads any less safe because of it? No.

So I’ll continue to wince when I get into the car on a sunny day, knowing that sooner or later I’ll get stuck in a jam or have to look at my speedo every ten seconds because of a police sign that tells me I may find a speed trap within the next 100 miles (probably with both policemen having lunch). Happy driving people!
Mon 24/03/03 at 13:59
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I was going to write something about driving today...

And mention that exact same point about the speed cameras!

I'd be driving along and I'll see the yellow glow of a speed camera, all so good but there's not a single sign telling me what speed it is!

I saw a 40 sign a bit back but it might have changed without me knowing, so I just slow down to 30 anyway with all the cars behind me slowing down and having a go at me for driving so slow...

Why can't they like paint the speed onto the back of the camera?
Mon 24/03/03 at 13:59
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
The road outside my house is being dug up again. They only just tarmacced (sp) the thing.

On another note I don't drive, I can't afford to. Lazy student scum me.
Mon 24/03/03 at 17:46
Regular
"everyone says it"
If someone is breaking the speed limit stupidly a huge brick wall should appear in front of them.

That'd be justice.
Mon 24/03/03 at 17:50
Regular
"Not your monkey"
I reckon that instead of airbags, they should put huge fat spikes in the steering wheel.

Airbags make everyone feel safer, so they speed. Whack a 30cm spike in there, and people would drive slower, I gaurentee it ;-)

Of course, some idiot would disable theirs and and go round hitting people to set the spike of, so admittedly, there are one or two flaws in the plan.
Mon 24/03/03 at 18:31
Regular
I could try to give a toss about speed cameras, but I'm happy enough not to.

However, the mention of them at that precise moment in time has given me the inspiration for a wicked angle to my dissertaion. So I thank you and all your road-hating kind.

:^)
Mon 24/03/03 at 18:58
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
After spending the last 30 mins trying to get to the station car park (not even 2 miles away!) just to get my dads phone out of the car because he left it in there while he went up London, I've decided that I can't be bothered to drive anymore today.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.