GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"We were all so sure...!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 19/01/01 at 00:09
Regular
You have all read the news, the comments from Japan, are that the X-Box, is too big for the Japanese living rooms! This spells trouble for Microsoft, they may have all the games companies but they won't be needed if people don't buy the games!

With the PS2 picking up I seriously now think that the NGC and the PS2 will be the two main contenders. I think that all the opinions on games come from Japan and the Fat Cats in America, and so if something gets round about the X-Box being too big...it will strike doubt into the hearts of gamers all round the world....doesn't sound too good Bill!

The Game
Sat 20/01/01 at 20:09
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Actually Vai, had I told you before the DC launch that the DC uses Windows I bet that you'd say it was rubbish. When u play a windows game on the DC you don't actuaklly see windows running... same thing on the xbox. It's simply a portal to Direct X programming that allowws direct hardware control. This is a vast improvement over an other system

SonicRav
Sat 20/01/01 at 17:37
SonicRav i do not care if it has had a complete overhaul but i do not like it because windows always crashes and Xbox will use MS2000
Sat 20/01/01 at 15:28
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
SNIPER wrote:
> It doesn't have a hard drive and OS duh!

Actually, the DC has windows CE operating system for half its games, Sega's own OS for another half. (PC developers prefer Win CE).

The Hard drive will be used as a large RAM. Games can be copied into it, and then played from there. This reduces load times as DVDs take longer to read than hard discs (which are faster than anything else). Hence this improves load times and leaves NO CRASHING and slowdown!

Vai said:
Na i still do not want an Xbox 2 reasons 1 i hate bill gates and 2 my laptop always crahes or illigal operations me and i hate it!

The laptop crashing wil not happen on the Xbox, which uses an adapted OS. The DC uses windows CE and doesn't crash, and the PS2 uses Sony's own OS (which is poor). The fact u don't want an Xbox cos of Bill gates it very bad. It's like not buying a DC because you are a Sony fanboy. The fact it will have some great games means that you should keep an open mind. Personally I won't buy one because of expense (esp. after getting a GC)

SonicRav
Sat 20/01/01 at 15:14
Regular
The DC, not the X-Box
Sat 20/01/01 at 13:15
Na i still do not want an Xbox 2 reasons 1 i hate bill gates and 2 my laptop always crahes or illigal operations me and i hate it!
Sat 20/01/01 at 13:10
Regular
It doesn't have a hard drive and OS duh!
Sat 20/01/01 at 12:52
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
This is all rubbish. The DC is based on PC archetecture (still can't spell!) and does that crash??? It also used windows for some of it's games! The Xbox is a static console, not a PC that can have billions of different combinations of components (the reason for your concerns). It has been made by developers for developers and WILL be easier to program than the PS2. The real problem is lack of Japanses developers.

SonicRav
Fri 19/01/01 at 12:18
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Equally I heard they were shrinking the gamepads... and console for asian release?... Besides too big for Japanese living rooms... how many people in the world have acutally seen the console enough to grab an accurate decision? ... Sounds like the Japanese press getting on the defensive to me?
Fri 19/01/01 at 09:53
Regular
"Complete Banker"
True, but I don't think the X-Box is dead yet (It hasn't even been born!) With the money that Microsoft and Bill have they'll keep throwing money at it until it sticks and until people buy their box of X.
Fri 19/01/01 at 08:02
Regular
"not dead"
And the reason it's so big?

Overheating / cooling issues.

Base a console on a PC, get PC problems.

MD

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.