GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"i dont understand"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/08/05 at 12:08
Regular
"youngest regular"
in my game room there is a pool table and a playstation.my freind was there and we were finishing tony hawks underground 2.
my freind said he was going to play pool and i was going to play tony hawk.
so i go to new game and it says are u sure that u want to save over the old one.
i cancel a nd he says put in ur own memory card.
so i put mine in.
but then he says i should reset it first so i do.
then im waiting for it to come and it makes a noise and the game wont work.
i dont think that switching wud have broken it so what might have happened?
(it was working perfect before that)
Sat 06/08/05 at 01:26
Regular
"Ruddie1"
Well 1 out of 3 in my case!
Fri 05/08/05 at 09:13
Regular
"8==="
Then again MS can't even wire a plug properly. :S

(Well 1 out of every 10,000 they can't)
Fri 05/08/05 at 04:05
Regular
"8==="
Pfft, if pulling a controller/memory card out of a console damages it [the console] then that shows poor design by the manufacturer.

Most intelligent designers would forsee these things happening and take steps to make sure the machine wouldn't be damaged by such a thing happening.

Sure memory cards can get corrupted but that should be the worst possible outcome.
Thu 04/08/05 at 09:58
Regular
"youngest regular"
theres something wrong with the game not the memory card.

and it wasnt even loading/saving,i was on the main menu.
Wed 03/08/05 at 20:38
"High polygon count"
gr13ve wrote:
> Shouldnt they be designed to allow controllers to be unplugged
> considering you can accidently pull them out.

Not really. It's generally unwise to plug in or remove anything from an electrical appliance while power is being supplied to it - it can cause a surge through the circuits and damage the equipment.

Low power stuff (USB peripherals etc.) will probably be okay, but things like controllers will take more power because of the vibration motors, so I wouldn't risk it.

Memory cards are low power, obviously, but because it is known that they can be corrupted or even erased if inserted/removed while power is applied, I'd never risk it.

Regardless of whether it should or shouldn't be designed to allow it, the fact remains that it isn't (otherwise the manual wouldn't advise against it) and anyone doing so is inviting problems with their hardware. And that goes for all current consoles, because they all carry the same warning.
Wed 03/08/05 at 18:32
Regular
"hulagadoo"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> If you read the manual, it says quite clearly that you should never
> insert or remove anything while the machine is switched on.

Shouldnt they be designed to allow controllers to be unplugged considering you can accidently pull them out.
Wed 03/08/05 at 18:25
Regular
I know this is a different console but they say the same thing about my Gamecube.
But I've removed controllers during a game without much of a problem it's just that you shouldn't remove your memory card while it's loading or saving.
Wed 03/08/05 at 18:01
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Wookiee is right, although I've removed memory cards when no loading has been going on for ages and I've not had any problems with them.
Wed 03/08/05 at 17:56
"High polygon count"
If you read the manual, it says quite clearly that you should never insert or remove anything while the machine is switched on.

The only exception to this is anything connected to the USB ports, which are designed to allow it. Controllers and memory cards are a definite no-no.
Wed 03/08/05 at 17:30
Regular
"The definitive tag"
It's safe to unplug it when the PS2 is switched on, but it isn't safe if the memory card is being accessed for loading or saving.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.