GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What The Lock Have You Done to Rainbow?!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Rainbow Six: Lock Down'.
Fri 05/08/05 at 15:04
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
If you're one of the people complaining about the direction of Rainbow Six in Lockdown, why are you?

Let's face it, while Rainbow Six 3 was 'fun' online, it sucked as a game. The controls were stiff and lacked any sort of fluidity, the graphics were awful and the hit detection was inconsistent - let's not start about lean-walking and glitching! Things improved a little in Black Arrow, but with it being the same engine and all, the poor controls remained and the grpahics didn't get much better.

The older PC versions of Rainbow were fairly good but you couldn't call the matches tactical!

[I] JUST BECAUSE A GAME DOESN'T REQUIRE YOU TO FIRE A MILLION BULLETS TO KILL SOMEONE DOESN'T MEAN IT'S TACTICAL! [I]

... I don't understand why people are complaining about the direction of RS LD? Have you ever actually played Rainbow online on your PC? It's not tactical. You get about three types of people on RAINBOW:

1. People who camp and keep their crosshair over an enterance or doorway.
2. The people who rush in, maybe get a kill, but rarely last a round.
3. The people who play at a reasonable pace but always do the same thing.

So why is Rainbow tactical... you have No.1 who gloats about his K/D ratio but camps so he's a loser. Number 2, I imagine, has a lot of fun but gunning it alone is hardly tactical, and you have No.3 who runs in a set path every game and spends his 9 frag-grenades blowing up one of the maps choke-points with the hope of a cheap kill.

A number of things can be classed as tactics. You can have tactics in a run and gun game like HALO 2, or even in Burnout 3.. but on PC or on XBOX, Rainbow has never been truly tactical. The potential has always been there, but few people play the game how it was intended to be played.

So on to Lockdown and the new character classes. In my eye, this is an excellent addition and a dream come true for all the Battlefield players who despise vehicles/armour/aircraft. Okay, so RS4 won't touch BF2 for fun, but you can see why character classes have been introduced. For one, it expands the gameplay and encourages more team-play:

Two of your team members rush in and get killed (n00bs!! WTF!) which leaves 4 of you to combat the 6 members of Red Team. You're holed up in your spawn and the enemy is approaching. There's two routes in so you get your Medic to Nerve Gas enterance A so the engineer has time to set up his turrent while your Spec-Ops and Commando guys cover enterance B. The gas is clearing but before it does your engineer has had time to lay a proximity mine at enternace A, BOOM! - two Red members were holding hands - 4 vs 4. Two red members rush in at B, your commando with his M249 and your Engineer on his turret mow them down. You're up 4 to 2 and the tables have turned.

Okay, granted, this won't happen every time, but don't people see that with character classes and more weapons (plus unlocks?) the gameplay will expand.

Maybe the Rainbow veterans from the PC and XBOX are upset because they can't just camp out somewhere and guarantee their 2 kills? Maybe they're scared that if Player X reaches a certain milestone and is awarded better armour or faster reload times he might actually KILL him.

That's another gameplay addition. Unlocks. Think Battlefield 2 more physical and more to about ability. In BF2, you don't actually gain any other abilities (or increase the ones you have) when you rank up. You get a gun each time and a different badge. In Rainbow you get better at things, you experience counts for something and, just like in REAL LIFE (the greatest tactical game of them all) you get better at stuff!

So here we are, Rainbow Six Lockdown and it's looking good. You can finally throw grenades on the fly (Like a SWAT/SO19 team should be able to!), guns are more accurate and the LIVE play, complete with Persistent Elite (Charachter) Creation is looking better than ever. From the videos, the controls look a lot smoother and the animations are better still.

Ubisoft are a bit of an odd company. You can understand why so many people love them. Their undeniable efforts to make what the gamers want (in general) are much appreciated. Most of their titles are LIVE Enabled or at least LIVE Aware (PoP: WW), they push the boundaries of graphics and game play and, from scratch, have created some of the better franchises seen this generation. I applaud the direction they've taken with Rainbow. I've yet to play it, so I reserve judgement on the score, but things are looking good.

You hear of the phrase 'Kill two birds with one stone.' But never four birds like I believe UBI have done:

1. They've breathed life into a franchise that, while treasured by many hardcore fans, pushed no benchmarks and was poorly made.

2. They've boosted the LIVE play with P.E.C and character classes.

3. Contrary to popular thinking they've added more room for tactics and team-play with things like Nerve Gas, Healing Posts, Turrets and Proximity Mines.

4. They've saved a franchise before it went into the depths of Hardcore!! land never to be touched br Mr. Casual again.

Okay, so point 4 might mean that a few of the veterans are upset with the direction, but we've not heard of the direction the PC version is taking. After a lot of feedback on the XBOX version, and some deep MP-Beta testing, things might sway in the favour of the Rainbow old-school fans, you never know.

As it stand, i'm impressed with what UBI have done with Rainbow. Just from looking at videos, screens, reading up on features and and getting the heads up from the likes of IGN you can see that Rainbow is becoming a better franchise. If Lockdown proves to be a success, which i'm sure it will, then more funding and man-hours can be put into the franchise in the future. Rainbow Six 3, and even Black Arrow sucked offline. Above all the controls and rigidity of the characters was poor. This time around things have been sped up, and it's a touch more run and gun (apparently) than it was before. The controls are evidently more fluid and the LIVE play has been boosted.

Wrong direction for Rainbow? HECK NO!!
Sat 06/08/05 at 14:29
Regular
"8==="
No doubt a couple of rounds near one will set it off.

Or they'll show up on heat vision mode, if that's in there.
Sat 06/08/05 at 13:59
Regular
Was it not possible to disarm the bombs from distance with a bullet?
Fri 05/08/05 at 17:53
Regular
Proximity's are for gaylords.

It was bad enough in Rainbow Six 3 when you walked along a corridor, only to find some little bummer sitting in the corner ready to detonate a remote mine in your face.
Fri 05/08/05 at 17:46
Regular
Proximity Mines and Turrets? Well there's the live play smashed and spat on.
Fri 05/08/05 at 17:02
Regular
"\\"
Game wrote:
> 3. Contrary to popular thinking they've added more room for tactics
> and team-play with things like Nerve Gas, Healing Posts, Turrets and
> Proximity Mines.

Oh they just suck.

:(
Fri 05/08/05 at 15:04
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
If you're one of the people complaining about the direction of Rainbow Six in Lockdown, why are you?

Let's face it, while Rainbow Six 3 was 'fun' online, it sucked as a game. The controls were stiff and lacked any sort of fluidity, the graphics were awful and the hit detection was inconsistent - let's not start about lean-walking and glitching! Things improved a little in Black Arrow, but with it being the same engine and all, the poor controls remained and the grpahics didn't get much better.

The older PC versions of Rainbow were fairly good but you couldn't call the matches tactical!

[I] JUST BECAUSE A GAME DOESN'T REQUIRE YOU TO FIRE A MILLION BULLETS TO KILL SOMEONE DOESN'T MEAN IT'S TACTICAL! [I]

... I don't understand why people are complaining about the direction of RS LD? Have you ever actually played Rainbow online on your PC? It's not tactical. You get about three types of people on RAINBOW:

1. People who camp and keep their crosshair over an enterance or doorway.
2. The people who rush in, maybe get a kill, but rarely last a round.
3. The people who play at a reasonable pace but always do the same thing.

So why is Rainbow tactical... you have No.1 who gloats about his K/D ratio but camps so he's a loser. Number 2, I imagine, has a lot of fun but gunning it alone is hardly tactical, and you have No.3 who runs in a set path every game and spends his 9 frag-grenades blowing up one of the maps choke-points with the hope of a cheap kill.

A number of things can be classed as tactics. You can have tactics in a run and gun game like HALO 2, or even in Burnout 3.. but on PC or on XBOX, Rainbow has never been truly tactical. The potential has always been there, but few people play the game how it was intended to be played.

So on to Lockdown and the new character classes. In my eye, this is an excellent addition and a dream come true for all the Battlefield players who despise vehicles/armour/aircraft. Okay, so RS4 won't touch BF2 for fun, but you can see why character classes have been introduced. For one, it expands the gameplay and encourages more team-play:

Two of your team members rush in and get killed (n00bs!! WTF!) which leaves 4 of you to combat the 6 members of Red Team. You're holed up in your spawn and the enemy is approaching. There's two routes in so you get your Medic to Nerve Gas enterance A so the engineer has time to set up his turrent while your Spec-Ops and Commando guys cover enterance B. The gas is clearing but before it does your engineer has had time to lay a proximity mine at enternace A, BOOM! - two Red members were holding hands - 4 vs 4. Two red members rush in at B, your commando with his M249 and your Engineer on his turret mow them down. You're up 4 to 2 and the tables have turned.

Okay, granted, this won't happen every time, but don't people see that with character classes and more weapons (plus unlocks?) the gameplay will expand.

Maybe the Rainbow veterans from the PC and XBOX are upset because they can't just camp out somewhere and guarantee their 2 kills? Maybe they're scared that if Player X reaches a certain milestone and is awarded better armour or faster reload times he might actually KILL him.

That's another gameplay addition. Unlocks. Think Battlefield 2 more physical and more to about ability. In BF2, you don't actually gain any other abilities (or increase the ones you have) when you rank up. You get a gun each time and a different badge. In Rainbow you get better at things, you experience counts for something and, just like in REAL LIFE (the greatest tactical game of them all) you get better at stuff!

So here we are, Rainbow Six Lockdown and it's looking good. You can finally throw grenades on the fly (Like a SWAT/SO19 team should be able to!), guns are more accurate and the LIVE play, complete with Persistent Elite (Charachter) Creation is looking better than ever. From the videos, the controls look a lot smoother and the animations are better still.

Ubisoft are a bit of an odd company. You can understand why so many people love them. Their undeniable efforts to make what the gamers want (in general) are much appreciated. Most of their titles are LIVE Enabled or at least LIVE Aware (PoP: WW), they push the boundaries of graphics and game play and, from scratch, have created some of the better franchises seen this generation. I applaud the direction they've taken with Rainbow. I've yet to play it, so I reserve judgement on the score, but things are looking good.

You hear of the phrase 'Kill two birds with one stone.' But never four birds like I believe UBI have done:

1. They've breathed life into a franchise that, while treasured by many hardcore fans, pushed no benchmarks and was poorly made.

2. They've boosted the LIVE play with P.E.C and character classes.

3. Contrary to popular thinking they've added more room for tactics and team-play with things like Nerve Gas, Healing Posts, Turrets and Proximity Mines.

4. They've saved a franchise before it went into the depths of Hardcore!! land never to be touched br Mr. Casual again.

Okay, so point 4 might mean that a few of the veterans are upset with the direction, but we've not heard of the direction the PC version is taking. After a lot of feedback on the XBOX version, and some deep MP-Beta testing, things might sway in the favour of the Rainbow old-school fans, you never know.

As it stand, i'm impressed with what UBI have done with Rainbow. Just from looking at videos, screens, reading up on features and and getting the heads up from the likes of IGN you can see that Rainbow is becoming a better franchise. If Lockdown proves to be a success, which i'm sure it will, then more funding and man-hours can be put into the franchise in the future. Rainbow Six 3, and even Black Arrow sucked offline. Above all the controls and rigidity of the characters was poor. This time around things have been sped up, and it's a touch more run and gun (apparently) than it was before. The controls are evidently more fluid and the LIVE play has been boosted.

Wrong direction for Rainbow? HECK NO!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.