GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[FILM] Four Christmases"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/12/08 at 10:39
Regular
"THFC"
Well it is almost Christmas and what more would you expect than a Christmas comedy in cinemas. But not the usual PG, Santa filled experience where Christmas is saved. This is more of a montage of dysfunctional families going through Christmas in their own way. The plot is an original one, Brad and Kate (Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon) are a young couple in love who never plan on getting married or having kids, they has distanced themselves from their families for the past few years by feeding them lies of why they can’t make Christmas. Instead they go to a paradise location and have a nice relaxing Christmas, just the two of them.

Brad and Kate are prepared to go to Fiji this year, they have the hotel booked, the welcomes couples massage on arrival and could not be more happy. Until all flights are grounded and they are stuck in the city, then to make matters worse, a live news crew captures them at the airport and within seconds their families are on the phone inviting them round. The couple have never met their in-laws and are in for a real shock. The film follows the couple through the day when they see the mothers and fathers and learn about their other half. This is where the comedy in the film stems from – the families being over the top in what they do and revealing truths about their children which the other did not know. With the usual douse of slapstick thrown in for good measure. If you have seen the trailer then you will know the kind of thing I mean, with Vince Vaughn being body slammed by his macho brothers.

But while it is a simple form of comedy, it really works, it is mixed well with great one liners and events that had me laughing most of the way through. The film does take a slight serious turn about 30 mins from the end but then goes back to being funny shortly after. Vince and Reese play a great couple on screen, they work really well with each other and make it all seem believable, which in a comedy is very important I think. While it is a Christmas film, this is one film which can be enjoyed all year round. I had heard some bad things about this film and was not really looking forward to watching it, but I was happily surprised and came out of the film thinking it was a worthwhile experience going to see it, as I was laughing out loud which makes it a good comedy. The plot is not the deepest but that’s a good thing and the comedy is suitable for all ages so the whole family can enjoy it.

I have to recommend this film because I laughed so much and enjoyed it. For me Vince Vaughn was really on top of his game and does steal the show from Reese but she was still a fun character to have in the film. For any fan of family comedy or the Vince Vaughn style (for a 12a) then this is a comedy that you will not want to miss. Not an essential cinema viewing but a film to pick up when it is on DVD. If you do fancy seeing this then it gets a big approval from me. It does fall down on being a family comedy and not being someone who has kids then I have to deduct a few points and so it gets a well deserved

8/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 17/12/08 at 10:39
Regular
"THFC"
Well it is almost Christmas and what more would you expect than a Christmas comedy in cinemas. But not the usual PG, Santa filled experience where Christmas is saved. This is more of a montage of dysfunctional families going through Christmas in their own way. The plot is an original one, Brad and Kate (Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon) are a young couple in love who never plan on getting married or having kids, they has distanced themselves from their families for the past few years by feeding them lies of why they can’t make Christmas. Instead they go to a paradise location and have a nice relaxing Christmas, just the two of them.

Brad and Kate are prepared to go to Fiji this year, they have the hotel booked, the welcomes couples massage on arrival and could not be more happy. Until all flights are grounded and they are stuck in the city, then to make matters worse, a live news crew captures them at the airport and within seconds their families are on the phone inviting them round. The couple have never met their in-laws and are in for a real shock. The film follows the couple through the day when they see the mothers and fathers and learn about their other half. This is where the comedy in the film stems from – the families being over the top in what they do and revealing truths about their children which the other did not know. With the usual douse of slapstick thrown in for good measure. If you have seen the trailer then you will know the kind of thing I mean, with Vince Vaughn being body slammed by his macho brothers.

But while it is a simple form of comedy, it really works, it is mixed well with great one liners and events that had me laughing most of the way through. The film does take a slight serious turn about 30 mins from the end but then goes back to being funny shortly after. Vince and Reese play a great couple on screen, they work really well with each other and make it all seem believable, which in a comedy is very important I think. While it is a Christmas film, this is one film which can be enjoyed all year round. I had heard some bad things about this film and was not really looking forward to watching it, but I was happily surprised and came out of the film thinking it was a worthwhile experience going to see it, as I was laughing out loud which makes it a good comedy. The plot is not the deepest but that’s a good thing and the comedy is suitable for all ages so the whole family can enjoy it.

I have to recommend this film because I laughed so much and enjoyed it. For me Vince Vaughn was really on top of his game and does steal the show from Reese but she was still a fun character to have in the film. For any fan of family comedy or the Vince Vaughn style (for a 12a) then this is a comedy that you will not want to miss. Not an essential cinema viewing but a film to pick up when it is on DVD. If you do fancy seeing this then it gets a big approval from me. It does fall down on being a family comedy and not being someone who has kids then I have to deduct a few points and so it gets a well deserved

8/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.