GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The animals of gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/01/01 at 12:19
Regular
When you pick up a new game, do you think about the character that you will be guiding around on your adventure?

Would you rather play as a human character than another mammal? Or does it not bother you?
Some of the greatest games of all time have had animals as lead characters, and here are just a few:

Sonic the Hedgehog: Amongst the most famous of the animals of gaming, this blue hedgehog made his debut on the Megadrive.

Donkey Kong: You could control this ape way back in the 80's in the sequel to the original DK, in recent years Rare have done wonders with the DK licence,

Ecco the Dolphin: A remarkable game when it first made it's appearence, again of the Megadrive.

And some of the also rans:
Banjo (Kazooie)
Frogger
Bentley Bear (from Crystal Castles an arcade classic)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade)
Fox McCloud (Star Fox)
Psycho Fox

But unfortunately for every good animal out there, there's a Bubsy the Bobcat just waiting to tarnish the reputation of the animals of gaming....

meka_dragon PQMS8/00
Thu 18/01/01 at 12:19
Regular
"not dead"
When you pick up a new game, do you think about the character that you will be guiding around on your adventure?

Would you rather play as a human character than another mammal? Or does it not bother you?
Some of the greatest games of all time have had animals as lead characters, and here are just a few:

Sonic the Hedgehog: Amongst the most famous of the animals of gaming, this blue hedgehog made his debut on the Megadrive.

Donkey Kong: You could control this ape way back in the 80's in the sequel to the original DK, in recent years Rare have done wonders with the DK licence,

Ecco the Dolphin: A remarkable game when it first made it's appearence, again of the Megadrive.

And some of the also rans:
Banjo (Kazooie)
Frogger
Bentley Bear (from Crystal Castles an arcade classic)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade)
Fox McCloud (Star Fox)
Psycho Fox

But unfortunately for every good animal out there, there's a Bubsy the Bobcat just waiting to tarnish the reputation of the animals of gaming....

meka_dragon PQMS8/00
Thu 18/01/01 at 14:04
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Once you start playing I dont think it really matters what you play... Its used often as the original hook and as the premise... but once you get into a game, your often more interested i getting past the curent obsticle, than whether Sonic is a hedghog, or whatever...

When Tomb Raider came out, it was quite a shock to gameplayers that casual gamers were so interested in having a female lead... Quake played with a man or woman makes o difference... as long as you get to run around and kill inlarge numbers, the world is okay :)
Thu 18/01/01 at 14:24
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
The sheer excitement of playing a new game is enough. I mean as you may have read I bought 'Roadsters' for N64 for my little brother's B'Day, and just waiting to see the layout and the cars etc, Is great fun.

When you first get into the levels on say Mario 64 or Spyro, the sheer thrill of exploration and adventure completely takes your mind off the chrachter and in most cases the graphics. Whic way to go, what enemy to jump on...

Even if you pick and old '98' game up from a boot sale or an old electrics store, you don't think about anything other thn playing the new game...regardless of how many 'Top Games' you have on your shelf.

The Game
Thu 18/01/01 at 14:32
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I think that as long as the character you control fits the context of the game then it doesn't really matter.

If you had to control Crash Bandicoot instead of a Ford Focus on Colin McRae then that would be a different matter, or if you were trying to play FIFA 98 with Ecco the Dolphin as your centre back the game might not have sold as well.

So, if the face fits, play it.
Thu 18/01/01 at 14:34
Regular
"not dead"
Did Barbie suit Race and Ride?

m_d
Thu 18/01/01 at 14:44
Hey I thought Bubbsy the Bobcat was pretty cool on the Megadrive! Good topic by the way very original. Actually I think it does matter what charcter you play as for example

Sonic the Skunk, just wouldnt be the same!

However so long as a game character is designed well and fits in with the game surroundings, so as to provide the right atmosphere. Then it doesnt matter too much if the character is a Rabbit or an Earthworm. Earthworm Jim was pretty cool, but earthworms arent particularly cool!
Thu 18/01/01 at 14:57
Regular
"not dead"
How did I forget Jim!

And the games had humour!

Did you know that the makers of EJ have signed up to produce GCN games?

m_d
Thu 18/01/01 at 16:17
Regular
Shiny? That's news to me...
Thu 18/01/01 at 16:39
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Obviously sonic has to be a hedgehog. A skunk would be just absurd, wouldn't it?
It really doesn't matter what the character is. A worm in a 'special suit' is no more beleivable than a hedgehog with 'special shoes', or a cod that bears a striking resebelance to a certain secret agent, but it all works.
Thu 18/01/01 at 17:15
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
meka_dragon wrote:
> Did Barbie suit Race and Ride?

m_d

Funnily enough, no. I found that the game was much more playable if you hit it very hard with the new peripheral Mattel are selling, the Sony SledgeHammer.
The game is also unique in its ability to give greater pleasure if you never actually play it. But that's Sony for you, totally rad.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.