GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Edutainment? I Think Not"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 18/03/03 at 23:00
Regular
With my GCSEs coming up in a couple of months I decided to begin my revision, and I plunged straight into my 100-age IT Theory workbook. Why IT? Well, thanks to the ignorant monkey cretin that is my IT teacher (hello Mr Daniels if you're reading) we've done absolutely no theory this yeat whatsoever, so my current level of knowledge is equal to that of...well, Mr Daniels.

Anyway, I was working out my brain by subjecting it to 10 reps of Backup Memory and Storage, when I noticed how unbelievably dull this booklet was. It wasn't just dull, it was more boring than an hour of Bottom. Unreal, I know, but true.

And teachers ask why our concentration spans are so short? It's no surprise that my mind had wandered onto subjects including football, girls and battery powered sex aids (the last two possibly being related), when the work they give us to do is so utterly langweilig...excuse my German.

In fact, the most enthralling part of the booklet is the front cover, which is why we spend most of the time looking at it. Compared to what lies inside, the front cover can provide hours of endless entertainment for me and my adolescent chums, especially when the booklet is written by a certain Mr McWeeney.

Lets give some examples shall we, Ant? Throught the endless streams of text I actually came across a diagram that drew my mind away from whether a Kit Kat actually tastes more chocalatey than an original Rocky bar (you may debate over which conclusion I reached). Unfortunately, I was soon back to my confectionary thinking, because the diagram didn't exactly grab my attention. It was a black and white (I discovered later that there is no colour to be found inside the booklet whatsoever) Excel table that was showcasing some sort of processed data.

"The diagram shows a Query by Example that selects pupils who are in tutor grou..."

Sorry, what?

Oh, look! The table is about pupils and school!

And look at my practise maths paper! Mr Patel wants to buy a CAR PARK from Sarah! WOW!

C'mon! Put some effort into it, please! I know that the purpose of these exmaples/questions is not to entertain us, but think about it, wouldn't it be much more interesting if Sir Alex Ferguson wanted to buy Harry Kewell from Leeds...although, then again, that would be a bit easy if we consider the factor Peter Ridsdale.

Or what about something like, "Kanu plays for Arsenal FC, but he's not very good at football so he never gets picked. So how many of his teammates's backs does he have to climb to get his grinning mug at the top of the winning team photo every year?"

Maybe that's a little over the top, but still, do they purposefully make our questions as dull as possible?

And going a little off-topic, but do they really expect us to work through Mental Arithmetic books in Junior School when the main character in half the questions has been aptly named 'Sundeep?'

Well, I'm glad I've got this nonsensical rubbish off my chest, because it does get to me sometimes. Because I reckon that if people like Mr McWeeney took time to make their questions more interesting then we teenagers would stop vandalising people's homes, beating each-other up, swearing at passers-by in their flashy git cars and shouting "aww fittie!" at every nice-looking girl that walks by, and instead start to concentrate on our studies, vandalise people's homes, beat each-other up, swear at passers-by in their flashy git cars and shout "aww fittie!" at every nice-looking girl that walks by.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Wed 19/03/03 at 17:14
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
On that note I think I'll tell you all that in my Maths exam there was a question where the guys name was Asif. As-if. HA HA. The question went something like Asif has 100 beans and wants to share them with his sister... etc.

HA HA! Best bit of the exam.

Oh and yeah IT sucks, GCSE it's alright but A Level it sucks so bad, blerghh.
Wed 19/03/03 at 17:03
Regular
"Hallelujah"
one that i love is 'Sanjeb has £100, he was given it by his dad, he must give 50% to his brother rikmayalshir, but his mum shalashakni wont...' until by the end of the question names that you will never find on gods green earth are here in this book, why not just make it Bob and Tim!? whats the point!?
Wed 19/03/03 at 15:55
"slightlyshortertagl"
Ant wrote:
> And thanks to HHAT for the link he's e-mailed me, should help with my
> IT, cheers dude.

;)
Wed 19/03/03 at 15:55
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Kit Kat is more chocolately
Wed 19/03/03 at 15:51
Regular
"I like cheese"
Unbeliever wrote:
> Nice post Ant.
>
> BTW I reckon Kit-Kats ARE more chocolatey than the original Rocky bar.

Humm...I'm not so sure to be honest...some Kit Kats come extra chocolatey though, I've found.

Anyway, Gangsta, it's not my fault - blame it on society. {:)

And thanks to HHAT for the link he's e-mailed me, should help with my IT, cheers dude.
Wed 19/03/03 at 08:53
Regular
"Not your monkey"
I do IT at uni (well, computer science anyway) and its definately one of those subjects you either enjoy, or really hate.

People like me are so dull that we are probably interested in the odd black and white picture. Honestly, the number of black and white diagrams I have looked at over the last three years is beyond belief. Most consist of a box or two and a few arrows to represent something like memory allocation within an o/s.

The idea of an Excel spreadsheet is positively enthralling ;-)

Girls and battery operated sex aids? At your age? Dear me :-P
Wed 19/03/03 at 08:51
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Nice post Ant.

BTW I reckon Kit-Kats ARE more chocolatey than the original Rocky bar.
Wed 19/03/03 at 08:08
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Ah yes, good old textbook examples.
Utterly pointless situations.

Langweilig.
Boring.
Mwahaha.
:-D

Seriously though, it's true. They complain about how pupils' attention/concentration span is so short, but no wonder!
Tue 18/03/03 at 23:00
Regular
"I like cheese"
With my GCSEs coming up in a couple of months I decided to begin my revision, and I plunged straight into my 100-age IT Theory workbook. Why IT? Well, thanks to the ignorant monkey cretin that is my IT teacher (hello Mr Daniels if you're reading) we've done absolutely no theory this yeat whatsoever, so my current level of knowledge is equal to that of...well, Mr Daniels.

Anyway, I was working out my brain by subjecting it to 10 reps of Backup Memory and Storage, when I noticed how unbelievably dull this booklet was. It wasn't just dull, it was more boring than an hour of Bottom. Unreal, I know, but true.

And teachers ask why our concentration spans are so short? It's no surprise that my mind had wandered onto subjects including football, girls and battery powered sex aids (the last two possibly being related), when the work they give us to do is so utterly langweilig...excuse my German.

In fact, the most enthralling part of the booklet is the front cover, which is why we spend most of the time looking at it. Compared to what lies inside, the front cover can provide hours of endless entertainment for me and my adolescent chums, especially when the booklet is written by a certain Mr McWeeney.

Lets give some examples shall we, Ant? Throught the endless streams of text I actually came across a diagram that drew my mind away from whether a Kit Kat actually tastes more chocalatey than an original Rocky bar (you may debate over which conclusion I reached). Unfortunately, I was soon back to my confectionary thinking, because the diagram didn't exactly grab my attention. It was a black and white (I discovered later that there is no colour to be found inside the booklet whatsoever) Excel table that was showcasing some sort of processed data.

"The diagram shows a Query by Example that selects pupils who are in tutor grou..."

Sorry, what?

Oh, look! The table is about pupils and school!

And look at my practise maths paper! Mr Patel wants to buy a CAR PARK from Sarah! WOW!

C'mon! Put some effort into it, please! I know that the purpose of these exmaples/questions is not to entertain us, but think about it, wouldn't it be much more interesting if Sir Alex Ferguson wanted to buy Harry Kewell from Leeds...although, then again, that would be a bit easy if we consider the factor Peter Ridsdale.

Or what about something like, "Kanu plays for Arsenal FC, but he's not very good at football so he never gets picked. So how many of his teammates's backs does he have to climb to get his grinning mug at the top of the winning team photo every year?"

Maybe that's a little over the top, but still, do they purposefully make our questions as dull as possible?

And going a little off-topic, but do they really expect us to work through Mental Arithmetic books in Junior School when the main character in half the questions has been aptly named 'Sundeep?'

Well, I'm glad I've got this nonsensical rubbish off my chest, because it does get to me sometimes. Because I reckon that if people like Mr McWeeney took time to make their questions more interesting then we teenagers would stop vandalising people's homes, beating each-other up, swearing at passers-by in their flashy git cars and shouting "aww fittie!" at every nice-looking girl that walks by, and instead start to concentrate on our studies, vandalise people's homes, beat each-other up, swear at passers-by in their flashy git cars and shout "aww fittie!" at every nice-looking girl that walks by.

Thanks for reading, Ant.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.