GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Life"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 18/03/03 at 21:01
Regular
Ok, for some reason, recently I've been feeling more depressed than usual, somethings really got me down and I don't know what it is. Also, this has made me think about life in a different way, and I want to share my views on life with you, maybe you have the same views as me, or are opposite.

I've been thinking about the meaning of life, and I've never thought of an explanation yet, people go on about "The Big Questions in Life" and I've been trying to answer them myself, but I can't. I've been hearing questions like - "What is our purpose?" and "What is the meaning of life?" but I've been asking myself - "Why are we humans and not something else?", "Why is there a God?" and "Why is there Earth?"

I've been thinking about my life, and other peoples as well. I don't want to sound offensive or anything but I've been thinking things like - no one else is real, nothing is real, I'm just on my own and I am living a life that has already ended. I think that things that happen everyday are just "obstacles" that you get through. I think this way because as far as I know, anything that happens away from my life doesn't exist. As if, If I'm not in a certain part of a country no-one else is, and no-one moves unless my creator knows that I'm going to go near them. I think also about how my life is this way because I wasn't born with any physical and mental problems and that I'm privileged because I am the only real one around and no-one else is real, because let's face it - there is no proof.

I guess if I had to explain it differently I'd say it's kinda like "The Trueman Show", it's the same daily routine and there are no "real" people. Some is watching me all of the time and everyone knows what happens to me in the future except me.

I'm also curious as to why we were led to believe that there was a God, and a Jesus when we can't actually prove it

I also think about death a lot. What actually happens when we die? What happens to our body? - We will never know because (obviously) we're not there to see it. Do humans still live on when I'm dead?, what happens to the world after I'm dead? What happens to ME when I die? I understand my body will be buried 6 feet under for hundreds of years but what actually happens to my mind, do I go to heaven or something?

Also, we've been led to believe that heaven is a wonderful place and that we watch over our loved ones until they join us, but does that really happen?

I hope I'm not boring you with this stuff because I'm sure others have thought that way. I think because I'm so depressed recently I just needed to get my opinons on life off of my chest. I just can't help think about what will happen in the future and if anything around me is real, or something fake that has the purpose of holding my life up.

Thank you for reading
Wed 19/03/03 at 20:43
Regular
"I ush!"
Thanks,

there is a theory about deja vu. I'm not sure how it works but basically the theory says that it could be a malfunction in your brian which splits the signal you are gaining from stimuli (seeing usually) and simultaneously lets you know what you are seeing and also sends it to your short or long term memory, so what you see you simultaneously remember.

I'm not sure how its all meant to work, but that's the basics of the theory I heard. It also offers an explanation as to why some people are more likely to experience deja vu.
Wed 19/03/03 at 19:27
Regular
"Severly mind-warped"
Oops, I forgot to add a little snippet out of my post, and seeing as you can't edit, I'll post it here:

Also, if we are led to believe that life is so wonderful and, more importantly, unpredictable or unforeseeable, then why is there Deja Vu? Surely, it can't be possible to see into the future if it is so unimaginable. I've always thought that (following on from my point about having a creator that knows my next move) there was a little "bug in the system" that allowed me to see or guess what would happen the next day, or whenever. Deja Vu really interests me because 9/10 it is exactly the same as the actual dream. I have Deja Vu all the time, and what's "wierd" about it is that you kinda get this funny feeling inside you when it takes place and you think "Hang on a minute, hasn't this happened before?". Maybe you know what I mean.

BTW, thanks for your opinions in the previous post Simon Says, I understand exactly what you mean and found your post very interesting
Wed 19/03/03 at 09:39
Regular
"I ush!"
I found this post quite interesting because I used to think the same thing a long time ago. Well, when I say think i really mean think about it. I didn't really believe what I was thinking but I considered it somehow interesting that it could be true. There was a twist though. When I thought about it there was no consideration of a creator. It was just me, and everyone else was potentially a figment of my imagination. I'm not a philosopher, but this is my interpretation of what des Cartes meant when he said "I think therefore I am" meaning that if there is any certainty, it has to be that because I am able to consider my own consciousness I must exist. Whether anyone else exists I would never really know.

A couple of other interesting things you wrote . .

Barker wrote:
>
> I've been thinking about the meaning of life, and I've never thought
> of an explanation yet, people go on about "The Big Questions in
> Life" and I've been trying to answer them myself, but I can't.
> I've been hearing questions like - "What is our purpose?"
> and "What is the meaning of life?"

My view is why does there have to be a meaning, or a big question, or a purpose. I don't see why there should be one. I don't think that there has to be a meaning.

> but I've been asking
> myself - "Why are we humans and not something else?",
> "Why is there a God?" and "Why is there Earth?"

I thought this was quite interesting, especially the fact that you've been asking "Why is there a God?" instead of "Is there a God?" or "Given that there is a God, why is he/she/it there?". I don't really want to talk too much about religion because it upsets people to much. I think that religion is very important for use as a tool to "heal the soul" and to help people, but that is all.

>
> I'm also curious as to why we were led to believe that there was a
> God, and a Jesus when we can't actually prove it
>

My answer to this would be because the clergy could control the people by telling them there is an all powerful god, and all the paraphernalia that goes with him. He is the ultimate motive and the ultimate scape goat. This is only my opinion however.

Interesting post however. When I was thinking of these sorts of things I was more interested in the theory being potentially true. About the possibility that I was the only entity anywhere, ever. About how I could be in a dream, or a coma, and everyone and everything else just my own imagination amusing me. I didn't ever really think that it was true.
Wed 19/03/03 at 08:51
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Barker wrote:
> I think
> this way because as far as I know, anything that happens away from my
> life doesn't exist. As if, If I'm not in a certain part of a country
> no-one else is, and no-one moves unless my creator knows that I'm
> going to go near them.

Careful, you don't want to turn into a 'solipist'. Solipism is a philosophical term for someone who thinks that nothing else exists except his own 'being/mind'. Not the best outlook to have on life.

> I also think about death a lot. What actually happens when we die?
> What happens to our body?

After death we return to what we were before birth. Whether that's oblivion or something else we can't comprehend, only time will tell.
Wed 19/03/03 at 08:31
Regular
"Severly mind-warped"
I DO think about the here and now but I can't help but think about the future because my life now isn't exactly "good"
Tue 18/03/03 at 21:12
Regular
Have you ever wondered why we worry about things we really don't have any control over?

Yeah, times can be hard, but well, what if you knew what would happen to you when you die? What if you knew the secret of the universe, what happens then?

Well, not a lot. Maybe you'll stop worrying, but well, does it even matter? It's like playing an old video game to reach the end, but when you reach it, it's just a "THE END, CONGRATULATIONS" screen. Was it worth it? Were you just playing just to see what happened at the end?

Perhaps you were. So perhaps, maybe, you'll have more fun if you just played the game. Perhaps it's better to concentrate on the here and now, instead of the future. Stop worrying about the destination, and live for the journey. Or something. :0)

All in all, be alright. Advice is advice is advice, but you've got to work stuff out for yourself, I guess. Good luck.
Tue 18/03/03 at 21:01
Regular
"Severly mind-warped"
Ok, for some reason, recently I've been feeling more depressed than usual, somethings really got me down and I don't know what it is. Also, this has made me think about life in a different way, and I want to share my views on life with you, maybe you have the same views as me, or are opposite.

I've been thinking about the meaning of life, and I've never thought of an explanation yet, people go on about "The Big Questions in Life" and I've been trying to answer them myself, but I can't. I've been hearing questions like - "What is our purpose?" and "What is the meaning of life?" but I've been asking myself - "Why are we humans and not something else?", "Why is there a God?" and "Why is there Earth?"

I've been thinking about my life, and other peoples as well. I don't want to sound offensive or anything but I've been thinking things like - no one else is real, nothing is real, I'm just on my own and I am living a life that has already ended. I think that things that happen everyday are just "obstacles" that you get through. I think this way because as far as I know, anything that happens away from my life doesn't exist. As if, If I'm not in a certain part of a country no-one else is, and no-one moves unless my creator knows that I'm going to go near them. I think also about how my life is this way because I wasn't born with any physical and mental problems and that I'm privileged because I am the only real one around and no-one else is real, because let's face it - there is no proof.

I guess if I had to explain it differently I'd say it's kinda like "The Trueman Show", it's the same daily routine and there are no "real" people. Some is watching me all of the time and everyone knows what happens to me in the future except me.

I'm also curious as to why we were led to believe that there was a God, and a Jesus when we can't actually prove it

I also think about death a lot. What actually happens when we die? What happens to our body? - We will never know because (obviously) we're not there to see it. Do humans still live on when I'm dead?, what happens to the world after I'm dead? What happens to ME when I die? I understand my body will be buried 6 feet under for hundreds of years but what actually happens to my mind, do I go to heaven or something?

Also, we've been led to believe that heaven is a wonderful place and that we watch over our loved ones until they join us, but does that really happen?

I hope I'm not boring you with this stuff because I'm sure others have thought that way. I think because I'm so depressed recently I just needed to get my opinons on life off of my chest. I just can't help think about what will happen in the future and if anything around me is real, or something fake that has the purpose of holding my life up.

Thank you for reading

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.