GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Spam on the rise..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/12/08 at 10:45
"Are you sure?"
Hello -
Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed SPAM seems to be on the rise.

In the past I think you've mentioned a 'server' going offline - or something similar.
Perhaps someone could check the status of the 'spam filtering'?

Subjects such as:
"1 neww messsage for you"
"Its wworks!"
etc.

Please let me know if you need any samples forwarding - but I'm receiving them over a wide range of Freeola accounts so I'm sure you will have some yourself.

Thanks in advance.

Search Freeola Chat My Freeola Instant Site
Mon 29/12/08 at 20:10
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I do agree with you pb, this may be a 'mild annoyance' to you but I have received 'far too many' over the last two years to these two addresses. I initially forwarded them to freeola as suggested but to no avail. I now deal with them daily and have come to the conclusion that I should delete these adddresses and start again..but why:-(
Mon 29/12/08 at 19:00
Regular
"I like turtles"
I suppose its tricky ?.Spammers will always attempt to find ways of getting there crap mails past filtering systems.If spam filters are made a little too robust they will falsely identify legitimate mail as spam.I did mention the rise in this problem on the forum a few weeks ago and it was suggested I should forward offending mail to Freeola to update their filters.May do this with some of the more persistent offenders.I was only joking before.This is not really a massive problem,more of a mild annoyance.
Mon 29/12/08 at 18:26
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Thanks for your time and explanation Eccles, but I'm still getting shed loads from two of my email addresses:-(

PS these two always seem to be the receipients of spam
Mon 29/12/08 at 18:15
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Unfortunately it does take some time for the spam filters to 'learn' how to recognise a new type of spam that is coming in. Any spam filter is always going to be one step behind, no matter how clever it is. It can only successfully filter what it knows is already spam and as over 90% of emails floating around the internet are now spam is a very tricky thing to combat.

Graylisting is a form of filtering that initially rejects any email that comes from an address the email server hasn't received email from before. If the sending mail server is configured correctly (which nearly all spam source servers aren't), then it will try resending the email a few minutes later. The receiving mail server, which initially rejected the email will now have a record that it graylisted the email address and now let it through to go through further filtering methods. This has proved to be very successful in combating spam.

I suspect the rise in spam is due to a new method of sending the emails (such as switching to images or modifying the headers in some way so that filters think the email is legitimate). Unfortunately this means we have to wait until a method is found that will get rid of this new spam but not filter out legitimate email and this take time.
Mon 29/12/08 at 16:56
Regular
"I like turtles"
I'm getting quite a bit of spam coming through on my Freeola email these days (much more than usual).Found some great deals though.I have ordered some herbal manhood enhancers,sent all of my banking details to some bloke in Nigeria who is going to deposit a million $ into it anyday soon,got a great mobile contract,bought some property in Spain and put in a claim in against Nike for tripping over my shoelaces !.
Sat 13/12/08 at 15:30
"Are you sure?"
When similar things have happened in the past improvements have been made - updating 'grey listing' filters perhaps?

Since starting this post I've seen some improvement - so either Freeola spam filtering has been tweaked or the spammers have been jumped on by their ISPs!

I appreciate dealing with spam is not easy and an on-going task; but thought it was worth bringing to Freeola's attention in case there was/is an issue.

Search Freeola Chat Freeola ADSL Central Pipe Status
Sat 13/12/08 at 13:28
Regular
"I crashed into a va"
Spammers are always changing their methods and it apears they are sending very short subjects like re: order and a html image or a simple link. The only way to combat this is to do URL lookups which for an ISP is not very easy to setup because it could affect the time it takes to process mail.
Thu 11/12/08 at 10:45
"Are you sure?"
Hello -
Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed SPAM seems to be on the rise.

In the past I think you've mentioned a 'server' going offline - or something similar.
Perhaps someone could check the status of the 'spam filtering'?

Subjects such as:
"1 neww messsage for you"
"Its wworks!"
etc.

Please let me know if you need any samples forwarding - but I'm receiving them over a wide range of Freeola accounts so I'm sure you will have some yourself.

Thanks in advance.

Search Freeola Chat My Freeola Instant Site

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.