GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Turin Brakes"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 18/03/03 at 01:17
Regular
Just saw these guys perform live here at Exeter.

Good, but not great. Started off with a few not-so-impressive songs, but then moved on to the ones everyone really wants to hear (Long Distance, Self Help, etc). Aside from the dubious standard of their lyrics, and the underuse of drums (in my opinion at least), they were good.

Thing is, they were playing rather than performing. They ploughed through the set in record time with virtually no pause between songs. Almost no banter with the crowd, little variety on stage, nothing to really milk the audience. Maybe it's because the venue wasn't huge. Maybe it's because they're drawing to the end of an absolutely huge UK tour. Maybe it's something else. Either way, I felt they could've done better. Don't get me wrong, they weren't bad. They just weren't stunningly impressive.

Anyone else seen them and have any other thoughts?
Wed 19/03/03 at 09:21
Regular
"smile, it's free"
They weren't originally going to be playing at the great Hall in Exeter, it was originally Scheduled for the Lemon Grove (which in my opinion would have made a much better venue). Someone then decided that they couldn't fit so many people in the Lemmy, so they were shifted to allow extra tickets to be flogged.

I'm not sure how crowded it was at Exeter, I was near the front and I couldn't see that far back in the lighting. I can't remember the name of the support band either, but they had a really good guitarist.
Wed 19/03/03 at 00:40
Regular
"Sexy Mexican Worker"
Seen them 5 times on current tour(Manchester, Birmingham, Cambridge, Bristol, Exeter) and have two more to go - both at Brixton.

The gig at Exeter wasn't their best, but then again it isn't a great venue, but the drink is cheap (students) and the idea of the two bars is good. Most of the people at the gig also didn't know alot of the new stuff especially when Ether song was played, but that is to be expected as it is a new album and this had an effect on the atmosphere.

They dont talk much between songs either as they have 19 to play, usually within a 100 minute time limit and that includes an interval.
Tue 18/03/03 at 20:52
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Pain Killer is alright

Except when that bloke sings 'bacon and eggs'

You can't have that in lyrics unless its a comedy song
Tue 18/03/03 at 19:31
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I like Turin Brakes, if only because they're almost unbearably twee and nice, and probably wear cardigans and rescue drowning kittens. And sometimes you want that from a band. It ain't rock 'n' roll, but I like it. Never seen them live, but plans to at some point.
Tue 18/03/03 at 17:39
Regular
"smile, it's free"
lol!

Not what I was expecting or hoping for, but definitely more entertaining.

At the current rate, it'll be another six months before I post another thread in this forum, so make the most of this one :)
Tue 18/03/03 at 15:32
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
You're too nice.

However when he comes back he will think he has a few replies about Turin Brakes but sadly we were just being kind.
Tue 18/03/03 at 11:51
Regular
I haven't seen them, but I thought perhaps you deserved a reply.
Tue 18/03/03 at 01:17
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Just saw these guys perform live here at Exeter.

Good, but not great. Started off with a few not-so-impressive songs, but then moved on to the ones everyone really wants to hear (Long Distance, Self Help, etc). Aside from the dubious standard of their lyrics, and the underuse of drums (in my opinion at least), they were good.

Thing is, they were playing rather than performing. They ploughed through the set in record time with virtually no pause between songs. Almost no banter with the crowd, little variety on stage, nothing to really milk the audience. Maybe it's because the venue wasn't huge. Maybe it's because they're drawing to the end of an absolutely huge UK tour. Maybe it's something else. Either way, I felt they could've done better. Don't get me wrong, they weren't bad. They just weren't stunningly impressive.

Anyone else seen them and have any other thoughts?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.