GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SEQUELS: Should they be made"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/01/01 at 15:38
Regular
As you should know, I love SEGA NiGHTS- it's my favourite game ever. Yet however much people ask for a sequal, Yuji Naka refuses. He does so on the grounds that he will only make a sequel if a game can be truely improved upon. Improved with more features, better gameplay and more variety- NOT better graphics.

For this reason, should games like Gran Turismo 3 be made? It may have better graphics that GT2, but has the same gameplay and options. Maybe if GT3 were to have far more modes and maybe online play then I'd agree that it should be made, but as it stands it is only a remake of GT2 on the PS2.

And take the FIFA series... updated every 6 months, and for what? New players and more up to date teams. I think that this should be a free feature- after buying the game you should be able to download new players etc from the web. After all, for $40 you don't just buy lots of 1s and 0s do you?

Well, that's my opinion anyway,

SonicRav
Wed 17/01/01 at 15:38
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
As you should know, I love SEGA NiGHTS- it's my favourite game ever. Yet however much people ask for a sequal, Yuji Naka refuses. He does so on the grounds that he will only make a sequel if a game can be truely improved upon. Improved with more features, better gameplay and more variety- NOT better graphics.

For this reason, should games like Gran Turismo 3 be made? It may have better graphics that GT2, but has the same gameplay and options. Maybe if GT3 were to have far more modes and maybe online play then I'd agree that it should be made, but as it stands it is only a remake of GT2 on the PS2.

And take the FIFA series... updated every 6 months, and for what? New players and more up to date teams. I think that this should be a free feature- after buying the game you should be able to download new players etc from the web. After all, for $40 you don't just buy lots of 1s and 0s do you?

Well, that's my opinion anyway,

SonicRav
Wed 17/01/01 at 18:07
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
You've got to bear in mind that people dont make games so you can enjoy them... they make games to make money. If sequels make money, people will make sequels...

Equally, should one mans view affect the enitre industry?
Wed 17/01/01 at 18:30
Regular
But if that were true, then every single person on Earth would be in the highest paid job.
Wed 17/01/01 at 18:31
Regular
"I like cheese"
SonicRav wrote:
> As you should know, I love SEGA NiGHTS- it's my favourite game ever.
> Yet however much people ask for a sequal, Yuji Naka refuses. He does
> so on the grounds that he will only make a sequel if a game can be
> truely improved upon. Improved with more features, better gameplay
> and more variety- NOT better graphics.

For this reason, should
> games like Gran Turismo 3 be made? It may have better graphics that
> GT2, but has the same gameplay and options. Maybe if GT3 were to
> have far more modes and maybe online play then I'd agree that it
> should be made, but as it stands it is only a remake of GT2 on the
> PS2.

And take the FIFA series... updated every 6 months, and for
> what? New players and more up to date teams. I think that this
> should be a free feature- after buying the game you should be able
> to download new players etc from the web. After all, for $40 you
> don't just buy lots of 1s and 0s do you?

Well, that's my opinion
> anyway,

SonicRav

I completely agree. Even though I loved GT and GT2, I got a little bored after a while, and I think that GT3 is just an add-on of GT2, but the graphics are literally amazing, and it runs over almost every other racer around.

People who haven't got GT 1 or 2, or Ridge Racer 5 or MSR, should get it. Otherwise, think about whether you should spend around £40 on a game you already have (not literally, of course. It's a term of speech).

Anyway, sequels to games like Metal Gear Solid (GIMMEGIMMEGIMME!!), are brilliant. As you can add things like a completely new plot, new weapons, added gameplay options and of course, better graphics.

Games like Tomb Raider and FIFA are a prime example.
Tomb Raider 1 was great, but they've rushed 5 sequels, which are shoddily made and poorly done.
Where as Konami have take their time with MGS2, and when it finally comes out, it will probably be the greatest game ever.
FIFA makes me laugh. I have got FIFA 2000, and I played FIFA 2001, and there's no difference between them!!

Sequels should be made, but only for the appropriate games.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Wed 17/01/01 at 18:36
Regular
"Whatever!"
I think sequels should be made, but they should charge only half the price!!
Thu 18/01/01 at 00:41
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Grix Thraves wrote :
"But if that were true, then every single person on Earth would be in the highest paid job."
Do what?

Any rushed game is bad... the problems sequals usually provide is that they are often as not the same game aswas done before, with updated graphics, so you feel a touch riped off when you get to play... equally when they change the gameplay a lot of people feel they wanted to play a game in the style f the oringinal... people have expectations of a sequal, they want it to feel as fresh as it felt playing the original, and as fun...

-- Rehab is for quitters
Thu 18/01/01 at 08:01
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Of course sequels should be made.

Take a bad example, Tomb Raider. Why so many sequels?
Well, if you enjoyed the first one, then after a time you get to play it fluently from start to finish without any problems, and it starts to loose it's challenge. So you want more.

The sequel gives developers the chance not only just to add on a few more levels, but to tweak and refine the gameplay, enhance the graphics as they develop more powerful game engines, and to totally redesign the game if a new platform becomes available to them.

So you play TR2, and the same thing happens, although harder than the first game, the challenge wanes, and more levels are required. TR3 was slated by a lot of players because no more graphical enhancements were really made, but then there's only so much you can do with a PS1, and many gamers were satisfied with the extra levels that came with the 3rd Lara outing.

When a new platform becomes available, then all gamers expect a big jump in presentation, but not necessarily gameplay, so Core, if they get it right for the PS2, will not only keep existing TR players happy, but introduce a whole new generation of TR virgins who have only ever played on the PS2 to some of Lara's delights.

So, if a game sells well on it's first outing, then a sequel is acceptable, even if it is just more of the same. Gran Turismo 2 is a classic example of exactly the same gameplay, but more content than the original, but it still sold in droves because people liked the first GT, and GT3, judging by the graphics released for our perusal on the web recently, will be the biggest seller of the lot, even though the gameplay is probably exactly the same as the first two versions, because the developers seem to have really got to grips with the new platform of the PS2 and greatly enhanced the graphics of the original game.

Also, if a game sells badly on its first outing, if enough feedback is given by gamers to the developers as to WHY the game was bad, the sequel could still be a success if steps were taken to correct the original faults.

So my answer to the original question is obviously 'yes'.
Thu 18/01/01 at 09:44
Regular
"not dead"
It also depends on the genre.

Some games i want to see a sequel to, because the story was so amazing, that I want it to continue!

Other times it's simply a case of you getting to know the game inside out, so you can beat it all too easily, so you want a new challenge, but in the same style.

I think that when EA release games like FIFA every 6 months they don't actually expect people that bought the previous version to buy it!

They want to have a product that will sell copies, and having all of the latest players and stats means that people are more likely to buy that game when they buy a new system, or after missing a few years!

If you buy a new console, and you want a football game, you'll hardly be attracted to one that has all of the teams in the wrong divisions, and one in which Gazza is still a good player, are you?

You'll want the latest version, that's why they update, because the product has a limited lifetime.

meka_dragon PQMS8/00
Thu 18/01/01 at 10:41
"High polygon count"
On the subject of GT3, for those that don't already know the story...

Bear in mind that GT3 has never really been claimed as a true GT3. It was originally called GT2000, and it's creators have always said that it's basically an update of GT2 for the PS2.

Due to the development times slipping into this year, it obviously couldn't be called GT2000, so the marketing people decided on GT3 - but it's really GT2.5

Whatever the reasons for the recent slippage from February/March to June/July, I for one am willing to wait.

As with MGS2, I'm prepared to wait as long as it takes for them to make the game 'perfect' before it is released. I think that these two games alone will have PS2's flying off the shelves.
Thu 18/01/01 at 13:59
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
System Shock 2 is a perfect example of why seuqals are valid! :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.