GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is the game industry in trouble of colapse"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/01/01 at 15:28
Regular
I went into my local EB the opther day, and what did I see? Hundreds of rubbish, poor quality games, with one or two great ones stuck in.

Last year marked a real downfall for industry profits. Sega were the worst performing company in all of Japan, and several others lost millions. Their answer to this is simply to produce more games. The games they already have are being rushed to make some money and the general trend of games' quality is decreasing.

Like the car industry, the only way to stop this downwards trend is for a majority of companies to slow games production. But this will never happen. There will always be games like Superman 64. Unless the industry gets its act together, then the proportion of poor games will only increase. We could see a crash in companies like never before!

SonicRav
Wed 17/01/01 at 15:28
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I went into my local EB the opther day, and what did I see? Hundreds of rubbish, poor quality games, with one or two great ones stuck in.

Last year marked a real downfall for industry profits. Sega were the worst performing company in all of Japan, and several others lost millions. Their answer to this is simply to produce more games. The games they already have are being rushed to make some money and the general trend of games' quality is decreasing.

Like the car industry, the only way to stop this downwards trend is for a majority of companies to slow games production. But this will never happen. There will always be games like Superman 64. Unless the industry gets its act together, then the proportion of poor games will only increase. We could see a crash in companies like never before!

SonicRav
Wed 17/01/01 at 15:59
"High polygon count"
Are you having a laugh?
Wed 17/01/01 at 16:11
Regular
No... he's quite right.

The more popular games become, then the more likely crap ones are going to come out... the Playstation was a great example of this, and anyone arguing can't tell light from day.

The PS1 was easy to program for, so many games were made for it, and still are. For every Metal Gear Solid, there are 10 spiceworlds, or Barb... no. Won't say it.

I completely agree Rav, good point, and good post.
Wed 17/01/01 at 16:11
Regular
Spot the interesting mistake...
Wed 17/01/01 at 17:17
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Anyway, Surely only the companies producing poor games will fall? Okay so Sega lost a fortune, but Nintendo and Sony made a mint. As for the companies producing exclusively games, big market = more sales. - and the market is definiely getting bigger.
Demand causes supply.

Anyone who disagrees surely can't tell night from dark.
Wed 17/01/01 at 17:59
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Losses are bigger... but then so are the profits... at one point PS1 was making 40% of all Sonys profits... Mind you its the same for most entertainment products... for every good film/music CD/books/etc theres a million dodgy films/music CD's/books/etc...
Wed 17/01/01 at 18:11
You said spot the mistake...

Grix Thraves wrote:
> No... he's quite right.

You agreeing with anyone apart from your brain?

The more popular games become, then the
> more likely crap ones are going to come out...

This is true

the Playstation was a
> great example of this

Thatnks Grix :(

, and anyone arguing can't tell light from
> day.

Ahh hah, light from day, hmmmmmm odd i could of sworne they were the same...

The PS1 was easy to program for, so many games were made for
> it, and still are. For every Metal Gear Solid, there are 10
> spiceworlds, or Barb... no. Won't say it.

Say what? Go one you know you want to say "Teletubbies"

I completely agree Rav,
> good point, and good post.
Wed 17/01/01 at 22:02
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Does anyone know of anywhere where games companies profts can be found? It would be kinda interesting...
Thu 18/01/01 at 07:35
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I saw this guy running down the road yesterday with a big chest under his arm with coins falling out of it. This man had a wooden leg, a hook in place of one of his hands, and a patch over one eye.

Apparently, the remaining profits from the gaming industry are ploughed back into developing better consoles, R&D, wages, technology, packaging etc.

Unless we are discussing Sega, in which case the profits are split into two main areas; paying off the bar tab for the advertising department, and paying people to knock on Nintendo's door with peace offerings.
Thu 18/01/01 at 09:27
Regular
"not dead"
Grix Thraves wrote:
>then the more likely crap ones are going to come out.

He's right.

Only the other day was I in HMV when Clayfighter 33 1/3 looked at me, and confessed to being gay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

On a more serious note, it wouldn't be the first time that the games industry took a tumble either, back in the days of the Atari 2600's popularity it all went a bit titsup.

Proves the cyclic nature of the games industry really, doesn't it?

MD PQMS8/00

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.