GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DVD's or not to be's?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 16/03/03 at 15:10
Regular
The DVD, it has revolutionised home entertainment. Watch your favorite movie in crystal clear complexity, no need for re-winding, pause still for your chance to zoom in on a snippet of Catherine Zeta Jones flesh, select chapters, super slow-mo clarity, the list of special features that the DVD offers is endless. I'm here to put up an argument for bringing back the good old Video Cassette.

Remember the days of the massive VCR, taking up a third of the living room. Top loading ones were the best. So beautiful, sounding so powerful, this was the first space age piece of machinery. It allowed you to watch movies at home. How perfect was this device!? It was scary, how could this thing possibly work, it was ahead of its time, just looking inside the slot where the Video went in sent chills down my spine. The amount of engineering in of these babies was awesome. A mass of green board and silver metal, wires going everywhere. Delicate, yet able to withstand the harshest of blows it received from un-caring owners. The VCR was a god of its time.

Videos are so much cooler than DVD’s. The box is about four times as big making it four times as brilliant. A mega-collection of DVD’s are impressive but a collection of Videos, man that is a collection to be proud of. Towering high in your little bedroom, blocking out light from windows and becoming a hazard because of the sheer number of these black beauties. If you keep them in boxes you protect them well but run the risk of becoming a nerd, it’s out of the boxes that they come into their own. They can be thrown around, used as a coaster, used for stepladders, used as a barricade in times of war, you can even eat your lunch off them and they will not break. Imagine using your favorite DVD as a drinks coaster. It wouldn’t stand a chance. The wiener would scratch and die in an instant. You don’t see that from a Video do you!?

DVD’s have little printed labels on them, so cute aren’t they, NO! Videos don’t need labels they are that ‘ard!. The thrill of taping something and forgetting to label it is up their with chopping the head off a Maggie Thatcher statue, or running naked in an Art Gallery. Searching through the masses of tapes looking for the correct one, putting it in the VCR playing it for a bit, realizing it’s the wrong tape, then trying another. Sometimes you even find a Video that you haven’t watched in ages so you abandon the tape you were looking for and watch the two hour long epic film sitting on your knees about a meter away from the screen, knowing, but not caring, that you won’t be able to get up after two hours. It’s no fun with DVD’s, but with the introduction of the over priced DVD recorders the fun could begin, but not to the magnitude that the Video gave us.

I’m sure the DVD is just a fad like Pokemon, Kickers and floating Microwaves. I will always stay true to the Video Cassette and the faithful VCR. The Video we salute you!

Odin
Sun 16/03/03 at 21:30
Regular
"Spunkeh Monkeh"
I see that.

I have about 250 videos and 80 DVDs. I prefer DVDs though, in all seriousness. Smaller, less chunky, better quality. Only problem is that they're harded to copy, but not impossible, like some VHSs, with that sodding macrovision. :P
Sun 16/03/03 at 19:44
Regular
"She's a dog!"
i have 300 or so videos and 70 DVDs.

i like sharing pointless information with people I don't know.
Sun 16/03/03 at 15:22
Regular
Damn, forgot to mention them collecting enough dust to line the boxes of every tramp in the country, providing an adequate soft make-shift mattress.
Sun 16/03/03 at 15:17
Regular
"Towering high in your little bedroom, blocking out light from windows and becoming a hazard because of the sheer number of these black beauties"
It's funny cos it's true.
Sun 16/03/03 at 15:10
Regular
The DVD, it has revolutionised home entertainment. Watch your favorite movie in crystal clear complexity, no need for re-winding, pause still for your chance to zoom in on a snippet of Catherine Zeta Jones flesh, select chapters, super slow-mo clarity, the list of special features that the DVD offers is endless. I'm here to put up an argument for bringing back the good old Video Cassette.

Remember the days of the massive VCR, taking up a third of the living room. Top loading ones were the best. So beautiful, sounding so powerful, this was the first space age piece of machinery. It allowed you to watch movies at home. How perfect was this device!? It was scary, how could this thing possibly work, it was ahead of its time, just looking inside the slot where the Video went in sent chills down my spine. The amount of engineering in of these babies was awesome. A mass of green board and silver metal, wires going everywhere. Delicate, yet able to withstand the harshest of blows it received from un-caring owners. The VCR was a god of its time.

Videos are so much cooler than DVD’s. The box is about four times as big making it four times as brilliant. A mega-collection of DVD’s are impressive but a collection of Videos, man that is a collection to be proud of. Towering high in your little bedroom, blocking out light from windows and becoming a hazard because of the sheer number of these black beauties. If you keep them in boxes you protect them well but run the risk of becoming a nerd, it’s out of the boxes that they come into their own. They can be thrown around, used as a coaster, used for stepladders, used as a barricade in times of war, you can even eat your lunch off them and they will not break. Imagine using your favorite DVD as a drinks coaster. It wouldn’t stand a chance. The wiener would scratch and die in an instant. You don’t see that from a Video do you!?

DVD’s have little printed labels on them, so cute aren’t they, NO! Videos don’t need labels they are that ‘ard!. The thrill of taping something and forgetting to label it is up their with chopping the head off a Maggie Thatcher statue, or running naked in an Art Gallery. Searching through the masses of tapes looking for the correct one, putting it in the VCR playing it for a bit, realizing it’s the wrong tape, then trying another. Sometimes you even find a Video that you haven’t watched in ages so you abandon the tape you were looking for and watch the two hour long epic film sitting on your knees about a meter away from the screen, knowing, but not caring, that you won’t be able to get up after two hours. It’s no fun with DVD’s, but with the introduction of the over priced DVD recorders the fun could begin, but not to the magnitude that the Video gave us.

I’m sure the DVD is just a fad like Pokemon, Kickers and floating Microwaves. I will always stay true to the Video Cassette and the faithful VCR. The Video we salute you!

Odin

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.