GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Veldt"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/03/03 at 21:33
Regular
This is a really nice story that I made up that will twist your head. Enjoy!

The moment I walked in the room, I had a sense of unease. I could feel the anger, pain and cruelty. I am David Mclean. George had called me over to take a look at the veldt. I had seen the nursery a year ago. Before I walked into the room, George asked me if I had noticed anything peculiar about it before.
"Can't say I did; the usual violence's, a tendency toward a slightly paranoia there or there, usual in children because they feel persecuted by parents constantly, but, oh, really nothing."
While we were walking down the hall, a terrible screaming was heard.
It was erriee. I felt like I knew the people who were screaming but I couldn't quite place why it was so familiar.
We walked in on the children in the nursery, while George told the children to get out, I looked around the room. I could feel the perspiration start on my brow because of the hot yellow sun. I could smell the grass, animals and dust in the air. This was after all the future everyone had dreamed of. Joined by George, we studied the lions at a distance, eating whatever they had caught with great relish. The room didn't feel good. This was very bad. I advised George to have the whole room torn down and the children sent to me everyday during the next year for treatment.
I knew that George spoiled his children more than most parents. George must be letting the kids down in the same way. I told him this and asked him in what way he had let them down, and when he replied it all made sense to me. He said that he had refused to let the kids to go to New York and he had closed the nursery for a few days.
The nursery had replaced George and his wife in their children's affections. The room was now their mother's and father's. While we were talking, I saw the lions were finished with their red feast. They were standing on the edge of the clearing watching us. I felt the hair on my hands stand up watching the lions watch us. It was as if they really could hear us. I laughed silently, thinking how ridiculous I was being.
"I don't suppose there's any way that they could become real?" asked George breaking my thoughts. "Oh no" I rushed to assure him, but I had it in the back of my mind. Suddenly something on the ground caught my eye. It was a bloody scarf. When I showed it to George, he said in a tight voice that it was Lydia's. With determination we went to the fuse box and threw the switch that killed the nursery. I had a sense of relief that at least we didn't have to worry about lions trying to eat us. I left telling them that I would be back in half an hour to help George and his family move out and get to the airport.
When I came back I was still feeling uneasy. I didn't know why. The nursery was useless now, but I still couldn't shake away the feeling. I walked down the hall towards the nursery room, my steps echoing in the trepidation. Coming into the nursery doorway, I said hello to the two children seeing them seated in the center of the open glade eating a little picnic lunch. Beyond them was the water hole and the yellow veldtland; about the hot sun. I could feel my self begin to perspire again. "Where are you father and mother?" I asked them.
The children looked up and smiled innocently. "Oh, they'll be here directly." Looking up from the kids, I saw the lions fighting and clawing and then quietly settling down to feed in silence under shady eyes. I lifted a hand to my eyes. Vultures were dropping down the blazing sky. Could it be possible? I thought fearfully. Could the lions become real? And where were George and Lydia Hadley?
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sat 15/03/03 at 21:33
Regular
"The Gamemaster"
This is a really nice story that I made up that will twist your head. Enjoy!

The moment I walked in the room, I had a sense of unease. I could feel the anger, pain and cruelty. I am David Mclean. George had called me over to take a look at the veldt. I had seen the nursery a year ago. Before I walked into the room, George asked me if I had noticed anything peculiar about it before.
"Can't say I did; the usual violence's, a tendency toward a slightly paranoia there or there, usual in children because they feel persecuted by parents constantly, but, oh, really nothing."
While we were walking down the hall, a terrible screaming was heard.
It was erriee. I felt like I knew the people who were screaming but I couldn't quite place why it was so familiar.
We walked in on the children in the nursery, while George told the children to get out, I looked around the room. I could feel the perspiration start on my brow because of the hot yellow sun. I could smell the grass, animals and dust in the air. This was after all the future everyone had dreamed of. Joined by George, we studied the lions at a distance, eating whatever they had caught with great relish. The room didn't feel good. This was very bad. I advised George to have the whole room torn down and the children sent to me everyday during the next year for treatment.
I knew that George spoiled his children more than most parents. George must be letting the kids down in the same way. I told him this and asked him in what way he had let them down, and when he replied it all made sense to me. He said that he had refused to let the kids to go to New York and he had closed the nursery for a few days.
The nursery had replaced George and his wife in their children's affections. The room was now their mother's and father's. While we were talking, I saw the lions were finished with their red feast. They were standing on the edge of the clearing watching us. I felt the hair on my hands stand up watching the lions watch us. It was as if they really could hear us. I laughed silently, thinking how ridiculous I was being.
"I don't suppose there's any way that they could become real?" asked George breaking my thoughts. "Oh no" I rushed to assure him, but I had it in the back of my mind. Suddenly something on the ground caught my eye. It was a bloody scarf. When I showed it to George, he said in a tight voice that it was Lydia's. With determination we went to the fuse box and threw the switch that killed the nursery. I had a sense of relief that at least we didn't have to worry about lions trying to eat us. I left telling them that I would be back in half an hour to help George and his family move out and get to the airport.
When I came back I was still feeling uneasy. I didn't know why. The nursery was useless now, but I still couldn't shake away the feeling. I walked down the hall towards the nursery room, my steps echoing in the trepidation. Coming into the nursery doorway, I said hello to the two children seeing them seated in the center of the open glade eating a little picnic lunch. Beyond them was the water hole and the yellow veldtland; about the hot sun. I could feel my self begin to perspire again. "Where are you father and mother?" I asked them.
The children looked up and smiled innocently. "Oh, they'll be here directly." Looking up from the kids, I saw the lions fighting and clawing and then quietly settling down to feed in silence under shady eyes. I lifted a hand to my eyes. Vultures were dropping down the blazing sky. Could it be possible? I thought fearfully. Could the lions become real? And where were George and Lydia Hadley?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.