GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Illegal gaming and piracy"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/01/01 at 19:20
Regular
As a true gamer and an honest person,I am completely against the idea of piracy and illegal gaming.Alright I've watched the odd dodgey video, but it doesn't really count does it?Besides, I'm not exactly making money out of it.Unlike those who have poduced a complete underworld of gaming, making pirate video's and copied video games.But if you look at it, who can blame them.The prices on video games are becoming higher and higher these days,so if people can easily take advantage of illegal systems,whose stopping them.Prosicution is rare and nobody I know has ever been caught.I am not saying this makes it ok,but how do game companies expect a child to buy the latest games.
Also companies don't seem to be doing that much about it.The amounts of money Sony game dealers must have been ripped off when the chip was invented is unimaginable.I believe you can get your playstation chipped at a price of about ten pounds now,and to buy a copied game is about a fiva.Therefore,instead of getting 5 video games for christmas for the price of 150 pounds,someone could get 30 games.Unbelievable.
Thankfully PC game producers have got wind of this black market business and have found ways to stop it.As most of you experienced gamers know,a PC doesn't even need a chip to played copied games.Therefore you can copy games off your mates and all your going to have to pay for is the price of a blank CD.I hate it.However,when a CD re-writer copies a disc it looks to copy the music files(as the machines were originally produced to copy music.)Now what companies are starting to do is program games so that the CD re-writable cannot recognise music files.However, I am sad to hear that patches can already be downloaded to get around this problem.
Luckily,none off the criminal masterminds of the gaming world have managed to design a chip that will play copied games on the PS2.Yess!Suckers!But,I can't help wondering how long it will be before they do,never I hope.I just don't think its fair that honest people like me and you are paying £40 for a game,while theeves are paying £5 and ripping us and honest companies, like special reserve off.
The copying problem seemed to have been solved on the N64 as cartridges are used.However,as the GC will be using CD's It looks like another company will be ripped off.
How can we stop them?
Tue 16/01/01 at 19:20
As a true gamer and an honest person,I am completely against the idea of piracy and illegal gaming.Alright I've watched the odd dodgey video, but it doesn't really count does it?Besides, I'm not exactly making money out of it.Unlike those who have poduced a complete underworld of gaming, making pirate video's and copied video games.But if you look at it, who can blame them.The prices on video games are becoming higher and higher these days,so if people can easily take advantage of illegal systems,whose stopping them.Prosicution is rare and nobody I know has ever been caught.I am not saying this makes it ok,but how do game companies expect a child to buy the latest games.
Also companies don't seem to be doing that much about it.The amounts of money Sony game dealers must have been ripped off when the chip was invented is unimaginable.I believe you can get your playstation chipped at a price of about ten pounds now,and to buy a copied game is about a fiva.Therefore,instead of getting 5 video games for christmas for the price of 150 pounds,someone could get 30 games.Unbelievable.
Thankfully PC game producers have got wind of this black market business and have found ways to stop it.As most of you experienced gamers know,a PC doesn't even need a chip to played copied games.Therefore you can copy games off your mates and all your going to have to pay for is the price of a blank CD.I hate it.However,when a CD re-writer copies a disc it looks to copy the music files(as the machines were originally produced to copy music.)Now what companies are starting to do is program games so that the CD re-writable cannot recognise music files.However, I am sad to hear that patches can already be downloaded to get around this problem.
Luckily,none off the criminal masterminds of the gaming world have managed to design a chip that will play copied games on the PS2.Yess!Suckers!But,I can't help wondering how long it will be before they do,never I hope.I just don't think its fair that honest people like me and you are paying £40 for a game,while theeves are paying £5 and ripping us and honest companies, like special reserve off.
The copying problem seemed to have been solved on the N64 as cartridges are used.However,as the GC will be using CD's It looks like another company will be ripped off.
How can we stop them?
Tue 16/01/01 at 19:28
This has been said about 3 times this week. Although it took time yu have wasted it.

By the way yu cannot ever stop piracy. It is like stopping every illegal web site on the net but harder
Tue 16/01/01 at 19:32
I know piracy will never be completely stopped, but there are ways to reduce it. For instance sony have taken one step and stopped people from recording DVD's clearly onto video. Also the use o cartridges make piracy a lot harder
Tue 16/01/01 at 21:02
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
But nobody buys a consloe that uses carts (anyone remeber the SNES floppys?)... And chipped DVD players are a breeze... DVD writers are comming down in price faster than 'who wants to be a millionares' ratings...
Tue 16/01/01 at 21:15
Regular
The Gamecube DOES NOT USE CDS!!!!

It uses a VERY anti piracy propriety disc. For gods sake, do your research.
Tue 16/01/01 at 21:20
I think Sony have eradicated piracy with the new PS2. The electronics inside probably have some fancy anti-piracy measures, but the disc tray (as opossed to the flap) has stopped the easy way of playing pirate games: disc-swapping. I doubt the console hackers will be able to create a MOD chip for the PlayStation any time soon.

I think Nintendo have also avoided piracy with their small CDs, which wont work in CD Copiers. It's finny how the best solutions are always so simple...

jake
Tue 16/01/01 at 21:35
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Read my article: "FACT: Developers cause piracy". This is true, and I'll post a message in a min to make it the top topic.

As for the PS2... you are having a laugh??? It WILL be chipped without a doubt... even the DC with propriety format has been. With the cheaper DVD-Rs now, anyone can copy PS2 games, and company's are already beginning to test chips. There has yet to be a console to avoid this!

SonicRav
Tue 16/01/01 at 21:40
Regular
GAMECUBE USES A ENCRYPTED CODE TO STOP PIRACY. IT IS NOT JUST BECAUSE IT HAS "SMALL DISCS".

I will crack if some else comes on here with their head full of crap.
Tue 16/01/01 at 21:44
"possibly impossible"
heheh, gamecube has small discs. I'm sure that will be the headline in one of tomorrow's tabloids.
Tue 16/01/01 at 21:46
Regular
shut up pb. your brain need some tweaking a bit! Sony Zealot blatantly. IT uses special disks designed by nintendo if Sony want to copy it let it be so, but we won't be wowing like you.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.