GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"World Poverty"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/03/03 at 22:12
Regular
Watching Newsnight last night and they had a documentary about N Korea and i really didnt know it was so poverty stricken. I'm not naive i know that a great deal of this world lives on peanuts, well they wish they lived on peanuts. I've done many an A2 essay on it. I thought that they would be better off than they are. Not quite sure why i thought this.

Another thing that concerned me was the total lack of any sort of care for the people of the country. They talked about possible wars with China and the USA coming in to disarm them after Iraq and the N Korean guy who looked to be in charge (not quite sure of his position) basically said that they would risk anything to defend themselves. I'm pretty sure they didnt mean defend their people, more like their land. Seemed odd to me. Even dictators care a little for their people, i mean arent they a resource that must be looked after?

The speaker towers in the street also took me by surprise. I know it is common in dictatorial far eastern countries to have these but i would have imagined that they would have been pulled down. Seems a little "ancient" to have this sort of propaganda instruments in place. Saying that though you can see the sort of conditions people are living in and how they are working. For those who didnt see it they showed a coal mine in operation where people are basically working in conditions like they did in Victorian England. Dirty, dangerous conditions for very little money i should imagine. It makes you think how little countries in this World can progress, or how slowly it can take to change nations from a trend they have been set in for years.

Not sure why this piece of film got to me, i've seen many documentary's on starving African people, and migrating homeless refugees from middle east but none of them have got to me really. It may sound very harsh of me to say that but sometimes you dont think about it sitting their in your nice comfy chair with all the modern comforts. Red nose day is coming up and even though its probably the worst line up of programmes just take a minute to think about people in this world. People may give a few pounds but this isnt going to help a lot in the long run. Sure it will build a well for a village but the well will just break. It may even pay for vaccinations to be sent to families in India but they will just get diseased again. Trying not to sound like a preacher here but people need to stand back, think, then do. Not just give a few pounds because some fat guy got naked on TV. Get involved personally, could be a lot more satisfying.

Odin

ps. Newsnight and Question time rule!
Thu 13/03/03 at 10:09
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Well, when the only way to fend off interference from overbearing
> nations such as the USA is to pump all available cash into the
> military, this sort of thing is the inevitable result.

Erm, Grenada anyone ?

No one in America was even remotely concerned until they decided they needed a vast pile of military hardware and airfields which larger than those needed by civilian aircraft.

During the cold war many nations sought to play off America and the USSR, and to take out huge loans which, if anyone had any financial sense at the time, we're impossible to pay back when it was considered what the money went into.

Why is always other nations fault for this financial disaster ? No one considers that those taking out the loans should have held back instead of seeing dollar signs in their eyes.

Think of it like this. If I spend more on my credit card than I know I can afford to pay back, and knowingly do this, then is it BArclays fault I'm poor, or mine ? Mine, obviously. But when a third world nation does this, well it's the guys who lent them the money.
Wed 12/03/03 at 22:45
Regular
Surely you can look at it from the point of view that if they didnt pump all their cash into the military then overbearing nations such as the US wouldnt be so overbearing. Why would they bother if there was no nuclear facilities being "miss-used".

Then again i guess you could say that if there wasnt a military force they would leave themselves open from other countries. Tricky one though
Wed 12/03/03 at 22:40
"Darkness, always"
Well, when the only way to fend off interference from overbearing nations such as the USA is to pump all available cash into the military, this sort of thing is the inevitable result.
Wed 12/03/03 at 22:12
Regular
Watching Newsnight last night and they had a documentary about N Korea and i really didnt know it was so poverty stricken. I'm not naive i know that a great deal of this world lives on peanuts, well they wish they lived on peanuts. I've done many an A2 essay on it. I thought that they would be better off than they are. Not quite sure why i thought this.

Another thing that concerned me was the total lack of any sort of care for the people of the country. They talked about possible wars with China and the USA coming in to disarm them after Iraq and the N Korean guy who looked to be in charge (not quite sure of his position) basically said that they would risk anything to defend themselves. I'm pretty sure they didnt mean defend their people, more like their land. Seemed odd to me. Even dictators care a little for their people, i mean arent they a resource that must be looked after?

The speaker towers in the street also took me by surprise. I know it is common in dictatorial far eastern countries to have these but i would have imagined that they would have been pulled down. Seems a little "ancient" to have this sort of propaganda instruments in place. Saying that though you can see the sort of conditions people are living in and how they are working. For those who didnt see it they showed a coal mine in operation where people are basically working in conditions like they did in Victorian England. Dirty, dangerous conditions for very little money i should imagine. It makes you think how little countries in this World can progress, or how slowly it can take to change nations from a trend they have been set in for years.

Not sure why this piece of film got to me, i've seen many documentary's on starving African people, and migrating homeless refugees from middle east but none of them have got to me really. It may sound very harsh of me to say that but sometimes you dont think about it sitting their in your nice comfy chair with all the modern comforts. Red nose day is coming up and even though its probably the worst line up of programmes just take a minute to think about people in this world. People may give a few pounds but this isnt going to help a lot in the long run. Sure it will build a well for a village but the well will just break. It may even pay for vaccinations to be sent to families in India but they will just get diseased again. Trying not to sound like a preacher here but people need to stand back, think, then do. Not just give a few pounds because some fat guy got naked on TV. Get involved personally, could be a lot more satisfying.

Odin

ps. Newsnight and Question time rule!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.