GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I just finished reading The Subtle Knife"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/03/03 at 17:31
Regular
I felt sort of out of place reading Northern lights at my age, but I did, I enjoyed it and I brought The Subtle Knife as a result of my enjoyment.

It's a damn fine book. The Subtle Knife itself is cool, the Spectres are a cool idea, the AEshaetrr thing is quite cool, keeping you in suspense. There are some truly great action moments descirbed atmosperically by Pullman's excellent writing style. A bit sad to see a certain character die at the end of the Almano Gulch chapter, and a bit sad to see another charatcer die right at the end.
Built up suspense for the Amber Spyglass as well, which i shall buy within the week.
I also like the way that many ends meet, like the fact that Grumman has a connection with both Lyra and Will.

Only thing wrong with it is that it is basically a build-up to the next book. But then, it makes the next book seem that much more tempting to buy.

Excellent stuff. Not quite as good as the Northern Lights in terms of action, but probably beter in terms of imagination and descriptive writing. Brilliant.
Tue 11/03/03 at 17:31
Regular
I felt sort of out of place reading Northern lights at my age, but I did, I enjoyed it and I brought The Subtle Knife as a result of my enjoyment.

It's a damn fine book. The Subtle Knife itself is cool, the Spectres are a cool idea, the AEshaetrr thing is quite cool, keeping you in suspense. There are some truly great action moments descirbed atmosperically by Pullman's excellent writing style. A bit sad to see a certain character die at the end of the Almano Gulch chapter, and a bit sad to see another charatcer die right at the end.
Built up suspense for the Amber Spyglass as well, which i shall buy within the week.
I also like the way that many ends meet, like the fact that Grumman has a connection with both Lyra and Will.

Only thing wrong with it is that it is basically a build-up to the next book. But then, it makes the next book seem that much more tempting to buy.

Excellent stuff. Not quite as good as the Northern Lights in terms of action, but probably beter in terms of imagination and descriptive writing. Brilliant.
Tue 11/03/03 at 17:33
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
How many books are there in that series?

I haven't read any entertaining fiction for at least a month, and there's only so much I can learn about Zen Buddhism before my head starts hurting. I could do with a few books to read over a weekend.
Tue 11/03/03 at 17:36
Regular
Three. Northern Lights, Subtle Knife, Amber Spyglass. Get the three pack, it's cheap and looks cool.

The books are fairly long, although you'll be surprised how quickly you read them. Took me about 2 hours to read 100 pages, and I don't even read very fast.
Tue 11/03/03 at 17:41
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
When the two towers came out, I decide I should remind myself of the story. So I read the Lord of the rings - including the appendix of course - in a weekend. 100 pages in an hour is an average rate for me reading. It can ruin some amazingly good books, and make some other poor books much better.
Tue 11/03/03 at 17:46
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
Northern Lights was good, Subtle Knife was imaginative but boring, Amber Spyglass was alright.
Tue 11/03/03 at 17:48
Regular
It'll take you about 7 or 8 good hours then, maybe more as sometimes you read something and you remember it from a previous chapter, and you check to find out what it was. I found myself doing this about six times, even referring back to Northern Lights when trying to find out where I recognised Stanislaus Grumman from.
Tue 11/03/03 at 18:04
Regular
I hated that they were so fun of allegory. Instead of reading them, just read this sentence:

"Pullman hates religion. He makes no secret of it."
Tue 11/03/03 at 18:30
"period drama"
YeY Asher.
These are some of my favorite books, bar the Sword of Truth series (Terry Goodkind - go read. Now).

I thought they'd be too childish, but it's not like that at all.
The final ending is darn good. I'll say no more.
Tue 11/03/03 at 18:39
Regular
I love philip Pullman books and robin jarvis books there both really exciting. Anyone read the Depford Mice trilogy? An absolute classic!
Tue 11/03/03 at 18:55
Regular
anyone reas the play

Unman wittering & zigo

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.