GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Howard Wilkinson - Gone at last!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/03/03 at 10:45
Regular
Sunderland fans (if there are any here...?) will be glad to see the back of former Leeds United and England caretaker-manager Howard Wilkinson today, after both he and his assistant have decided to walk-out on the bottom-of-the-league club, after only TWO measley wins, during their 24-game reign in-charge.

However, the Sunderland board believe they'll have a new-name in-place before this coming-Saturday's game at home to fellow strugglers Bolton.

Possible candidates include...
Former Ipswich manager George Burley (who has already said he'd be keen to take the job - today)
Ex-Ireland World Cup coach Mick McCarthy (who was linked with the vacancy back when Peter Reid's time came to an end)
And also David O'Leary, the former Leeds manager, once linked with the Ireland job.

Whether you're a Sunderland fan or not, I can bet you're just glad to see Wilkinson go, if if Sunderland will now be on the uprise.

But where do they go now? Who should be the next manager??

I reckon Burley'll be appointed, as McCarthy and O'Leary say 'no'...
Wed 12/03/03 at 16:27
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
He's a good manager- but I suppose he had never been with a bad club, so he couldn't cope. I think the worst position he ever got in the leagues was 14th with Leeds Utd (I don't say "Leeds"- they went bankrupt in 1912) some years ago. Just blame the players- Tommy Sorensen was injured, Tore Andre Flo lost form (STILL HASN'T SCORED) and performance was just bad.
Shouldnt've sacked Reid anyway. He was doing a good job- better than 2 wins in 20 games.
Tue 11/03/03 at 16:03
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Do you have to copy everything?

Why don't you actually write something yourself for once? :-)
Tue 11/03/03 at 15:28
Regular
Mick McCarthy is set to be unveiled as the new manager of Sunderland.

McCarthy will get the job which could have been his back in October, when Sunderland chairman Bob Murray instead made the surprise decision to appoint Howard Wilkinson and Steve Cotterill.

At that time, McCarthy was experiencing a rough ride in his post as manager of the Republic of Ireland, and the Stadium of Light seemed to present the ideal escape route.

However, two things conspired to prevent McCarthy from taking over the Black Cats.

Firstly, the Football Association of Ireland were asking for a large compensation package, believed to be in the region of £1million.

Murray then discussed the situation with his friend Wilkinson, and by the end of the conversation the FA's technical director had talked himself into the job instead.

McCarthy, who has been out of work since resigning from the Ireland job in November, will need to work a miracle - and work it quickly - if Sunderland are to avoid relegation, but his appointment will be long-term rather than just a quick fix.

Sunderland are bottom of the Barclaycard Premiership with just 19 points.

But with a further 27 up for grabs, McCarthy may have cause to believe he can pull off an escape act - especially as four of his new team's next five matches are against fellow strugglers Bolton, West Ham, Birmingham and West Brom.

McCarthy, who is likely to appoint his former Republic assistant Ian Evans as his deputy, will look to make the most of the Irish connection at the club.

Jason McAteer and Kevin Kilbane played for him at last summer's World Cup finals and Phil Babb also featured in some of his squads.

Sunderland also have a large number of Irish youngsters, including Thomas Butler and Sean Thornton, who have broken into the first team, plus the promising Cliff Byrne and Richie Ryan.

There is also the prospect of McCarthy persuading former Republic striker Niall Quinn, one of Sunderland's favourite sons, to delay throwing himself into the media work he has undertaken since retiring and instead return to the club in a coaching capacity.
Tue 11/03/03 at 13:13
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Sunderland made a mistake in getting rid of Reid in the firt place and how can they hope to improve by putting Wilko in charge?

it's their own fault and now they are going to desparate measures by sacking Wilko and looking for someone else to save their season.

Sorry black cats fans but the only people who have let you down is the brains behind Sunderland Football club.
Tue 11/03/03 at 10:49
"Darkness, always"
Neither McCarthy nor O'Leary will want to manage a second division team.

And my sources tell me that Wilkinson et al were booted out by the board who claimed the move was "in the best interests of the club"...
Tue 11/03/03 at 10:45
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Sunderland fans (if there are any here...?) will be glad to see the back of former Leeds United and England caretaker-manager Howard Wilkinson today, after both he and his assistant have decided to walk-out on the bottom-of-the-league club, after only TWO measley wins, during their 24-game reign in-charge.

However, the Sunderland board believe they'll have a new-name in-place before this coming-Saturday's game at home to fellow strugglers Bolton.

Possible candidates include...
Former Ipswich manager George Burley (who has already said he'd be keen to take the job - today)
Ex-Ireland World Cup coach Mick McCarthy (who was linked with the vacancy back when Peter Reid's time came to an end)
And also David O'Leary, the former Leeds manager, once linked with the Ireland job.

Whether you're a Sunderland fan or not, I can bet you're just glad to see Wilkinson go, if if Sunderland will now be on the uprise.

But where do they go now? Who should be the next manager??

I reckon Burley'll be appointed, as McCarthy and O'Leary say 'no'...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.