GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Graphics Card"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/08/05 at 13:27
Regular
Hi there,
I have a 2 year old system, and I was not really into PC gaming as i own all the other consoles, but I do play a few online games.

I bought San Andreas the other day, and I didnt realise how slow it was runnin on my pc, I only get a decent framerate when the settings are on the lowest.

I realised i enjoy playing GTA on the pc rather than the PS2 so i was considering getting a new gfx card.

Can anyone give me some ideas of what graphic cards would be best?

My current system:
2.66 Ghz P4
512MB Ram
Win XP Home SP2
ATi Radeon 9200 128MB (came with the pc)

My budget is around £100 although I may go up higher if i need to.

I just want to be able to play games like GTA SA on top quality smooth and play games like splinter cell & KOTOR.

Thank you
Sat 20/08/05 at 01:02
Regular
"woody woodpecker"
What is the best graphic card in stores, this very minute
Sun 14/08/05 at 13:37
Regular
"bot"
ReEsIe2005 wrote:
> Would that be a 128MB 6600 or a 256MB?

Memorandum! wrote:
> 6800

ReEsIe2005 wrote:
> My AGP seems to be only 4x, would getting a PCI-Express improve the
> quality or would I just need a AGP...

...oh god.
Okay, PCI-E is a completely different interface that would require you to get a new motherboard and PSU, and if your CPU is Socket 478 (which it is), you'd need a new one of those too...so no, you CANNOT get PCI-E.

[URL]http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/GeForce_6800.html[/URL]
code 'GX-033-LT', third one down.

In modern games 512mb RAM will limit you as well, but for now upgrading your graphics card will provide a much bigger benefit. You should think about getting another 512mb when you can afford it though.

And by the way, don't expect marvels with that card. It's a hell of a lot faster than your current one (5+ times...) but 'top quality' settings are not synonymous with "£100 card". For that sort of performance you're looking at the Geforce 6800GTs/Ultras or Radeon X800+ ranges.
Sun 14/08/05 at 10:55
Regular
Would that be a 128MB 6600 or a 256MB?

My AGP seems to be only 4x, would getting a PCI-Express improve the quality or would I just need a AGP...

Thanks
Thu 11/08/05 at 13:42
Regular
"bot"
If that's an AGP card (I'm assuming it is), you could upgrade to a vanilla Geforce 6800 for £117.
Thu 11/08/05 at 13:27
Regular
Hi there,
I have a 2 year old system, and I was not really into PC gaming as i own all the other consoles, but I do play a few online games.

I bought San Andreas the other day, and I didnt realise how slow it was runnin on my pc, I only get a decent framerate when the settings are on the lowest.

I realised i enjoy playing GTA on the pc rather than the PS2 so i was considering getting a new gfx card.

Can anyone give me some ideas of what graphic cards would be best?

My current system:
2.66 Ghz P4
512MB Ram
Win XP Home SP2
ATi Radeon 9200 128MB (came with the pc)

My budget is around £100 although I may go up higher if i need to.

I just want to be able to play games like GTA SA on top quality smooth and play games like splinter cell & KOTOR.

Thank you

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.