GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Watching a film Retro-stylee!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/01/01 at 19:01
Regular
The other day, when I got bored of watching something on TV I had seen at least 3 times before, I decided to entertain myself with a cinematic release I had purchased. In a mad turn I decided not to use one of my DVDs but instead turned to use another black box I had not used for some time. I took a large bulky dark cartridge that contained some ribbon of some sort and inserted it into the orifice of the waiting black beast.
After some strange whirring eventually a slightly fuzzy image appeared on my TV. But wait, this was not the beginning of the film as I remembered it! No, this was, somewhere just before the end! That meant, that it had not been...rewound. So I undertook it myself to complete the task of rewinding and set the beast to perform the task. As I waited, I decided to refresh myself with an invigorating cup of tea. Sometime after I had drank my tea, wahsed the cup and settled down with an interesting magazine, the beast had stopped whirring and groaning. Yes, I thinnk the film could now be watched. Tossing aside my semi-interesting magazine I pressed play and watched as the TV once again flickered to life. Bang, an explosion, some more explosions, then some tough guy talking. I don't remember the film being this intense straight away, but hold on. It's just a trailer. What's this, another one! Hang on a minute, this isn't a film I know of! Isn't that David Ginola, didn't know he acted. L'Oreal! Strange name for a film. No, wait, I've heard of these things...they're called advertisements I think, yes that's it!
Finally, after 20 minutes of endless images I'm sure weren't on the case, the screen goes black. And then, some guy saying that there may be swearing and violence in the film! Goodness, if I had known, I never would have bought it! Despite the warning I continued, adamant that I would see this thing through. After an hour and twenty minutes of enjoyable entertainment, I was only left with a little emotional scarring due to the word 's@*£', an urge to blow up some things and strange feeling that I needed to wash my hair.
Many people complain about the price of DVD movies today. But I say that if you compare them to videos, it's not a bad deal. New releases are only £3 or £4 morethen the video, yet the image and sound are so much better. Don't forget that there are no pesky trailers or adverts. Once you pop that little disc in you can get straight to the action. Or you can play with some of the extras that are so often being added. Many film distributors are realising the value of a good well stocked DVD. Just look at the Alien releases, and Gladiator, and of course The Matrix. If you look around on the web you can get a pretty good deal, usually no more than £15 a disc. Even on the high street, loads of shops are nearly always offering 3 for 2 offers and so on. All in all I don't think we are having it too bad. And even so, you could always order from the States.
Mon 15/01/01 at 22:28
Regular
I think this is a marketing choice. With cinema, and to some extent videos the viewer has to watch the trailers. The hope is that a trailer for an unheard of film will get the viewer interested enough to see it or at least find out more. However put this on a DVD, with the ability to skip the trailers all together, and it doesn't work. Trailers are about impact marketing. If on a DVD menu screen you have a choice to look at a trailer of a movie you have heard of you may watch it. Put one on that most people haven't heard of, and they may not watch it. Market figures suggest that if a viewer hasn't heard of a film, they will not be interested. I'm not saying it's good or anything, but it seems to be the case. When it comes to selling something marketing ethics rule.
Mon 15/01/01 at 21:54
That's one thing I've missed from DVDs, the Trailers. Zorro came with a free disc with loads of trailers for Tri-Star films, and you do get trailer discs on all the magazines these days too (well, on What DVD? anyway) Why can't they put trailers on the discs? Is it the space, or can't they be bothered?
If you think of how well trailers go down in the cinema, and the fact that the original trailer for the film is sometimes included as an extra on a DVD, it's ludicrous not to put trailers for other films on the disc too. Big budget action movies would make excellent trailers, just show a couple of big explosions in surround and a little bit of dialogue and people would be falling over each other to get the film. The Star Wars Episode 1 trailers were actually better than the film itself, building up tension for the movie and doing a far better job at a storyline than the whole film did!
So lets start a protest movement to get our trailers. Knock on the door at Warner, Hammer the windows of Sony, we want trailers, now! That should get their attentions!
Mon 15/01/01 at 21:03
Regular
Err.. cheers
I think that trailers would be good, seeing as you would probably have the option to skip them. I mean some can be fun. Adverts though, they would be a bit pointless as I'm sure most people would choose to not view them.
Mon 15/01/01 at 19:26
Congratulations on winning Film-a-Day for the day of 15/01/01, you may choose the DVD film of your choice.

By the way, I think adverts/trailers would be a good addition to DVD's.
Mon 15/01/01 at 19:01
Regular
The other day, when I got bored of watching something on TV I had seen at least 3 times before, I decided to entertain myself with a cinematic release I had purchased. In a mad turn I decided not to use one of my DVDs but instead turned to use another black box I had not used for some time. I took a large bulky dark cartridge that contained some ribbon of some sort and inserted it into the orifice of the waiting black beast.
After some strange whirring eventually a slightly fuzzy image appeared on my TV. But wait, this was not the beginning of the film as I remembered it! No, this was, somewhere just before the end! That meant, that it had not been...rewound. So I undertook it myself to complete the task of rewinding and set the beast to perform the task. As I waited, I decided to refresh myself with an invigorating cup of tea. Sometime after I had drank my tea, wahsed the cup and settled down with an interesting magazine, the beast had stopped whirring and groaning. Yes, I thinnk the film could now be watched. Tossing aside my semi-interesting magazine I pressed play and watched as the TV once again flickered to life. Bang, an explosion, some more explosions, then some tough guy talking. I don't remember the film being this intense straight away, but hold on. It's just a trailer. What's this, another one! Hang on a minute, this isn't a film I know of! Isn't that David Ginola, didn't know he acted. L'Oreal! Strange name for a film. No, wait, I've heard of these things...they're called advertisements I think, yes that's it!
Finally, after 20 minutes of endless images I'm sure weren't on the case, the screen goes black. And then, some guy saying that there may be swearing and violence in the film! Goodness, if I had known, I never would have bought it! Despite the warning I continued, adamant that I would see this thing through. After an hour and twenty minutes of enjoyable entertainment, I was only left with a little emotional scarring due to the word 's@*£', an urge to blow up some things and strange feeling that I needed to wash my hair.
Many people complain about the price of DVD movies today. But I say that if you compare them to videos, it's not a bad deal. New releases are only £3 or £4 morethen the video, yet the image and sound are so much better. Don't forget that there are no pesky trailers or adverts. Once you pop that little disc in you can get straight to the action. Or you can play with some of the extras that are so often being added. Many film distributors are realising the value of a good well stocked DVD. Just look at the Alien releases, and Gladiator, and of course The Matrix. If you look around on the web you can get a pretty good deal, usually no more than £15 a disc. Even on the high street, loads of shops are nearly always offering 3 for 2 offers and so on. All in all I don't think we are having it too bad. And even so, you could always order from the States.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.