GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SCART or RFU? That is the question!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/01/01 at 19:01
Regular
Hello Everyone,

Eversince the start of last Septembers pre-ordering campaign for the PS2, I have been anticipating the moment where I tear open the blue box and put the first disc into my new PS2. I have heard many rumours about the DVD capabilities of the PS2, some good and some bad, however I must say that I was reasonably impressed at the quality of the picture and sound. It beats videos by miles.

Anyway, I was wondering whether it really made any difference at all whether you use a SCART lead or an RFU cable. When I first got my new PS2, all I had was a small TV in my room with no SCART socket. Just when I thought I had to fork out an extra 20 quid for an approved RFU cable just to play the damn thing, someone reliably informed me that my old RFU cable on the PS1 would work just as well. So, I plugged it in and sat there for a week or two marvelling at the amazing graphics before me and how jealous my friends would be. However, this was not enough for me though. I wanted to show-off the full graphical'power of the PlayStation'. I wanted my mates to cry with awe at the sharpest pictures. I wanted to blow people away with crystal clear sound. I wanted SCART!

After Christmas I went to the January sales with my newly aquired wealth and bought a 21" TV with SCART socket and all the trimmings. Immediately, I chucked my old box out the window and linked up the PS2 with the new TV using the lead provided. Expecting to see my PS2 in a whole new light, I switched the machine on... only to find that the picture looked exactly the same only abit bigger. Damn!

Anyone care to comment on my dream-shattering predicament?
Sun 14/01/01 at 19:01
Hello Everyone,

Eversince the start of last Septembers pre-ordering campaign for the PS2, I have been anticipating the moment where I tear open the blue box and put the first disc into my new PS2. I have heard many rumours about the DVD capabilities of the PS2, some good and some bad, however I must say that I was reasonably impressed at the quality of the picture and sound. It beats videos by miles.

Anyway, I was wondering whether it really made any difference at all whether you use a SCART lead or an RFU cable. When I first got my new PS2, all I had was a small TV in my room with no SCART socket. Just when I thought I had to fork out an extra 20 quid for an approved RFU cable just to play the damn thing, someone reliably informed me that my old RFU cable on the PS1 would work just as well. So, I plugged it in and sat there for a week or two marvelling at the amazing graphics before me and how jealous my friends would be. However, this was not enough for me though. I wanted to show-off the full graphical'power of the PlayStation'. I wanted my mates to cry with awe at the sharpest pictures. I wanted to blow people away with crystal clear sound. I wanted SCART!

After Christmas I went to the January sales with my newly aquired wealth and bought a 21" TV with SCART socket and all the trimmings. Immediately, I chucked my old box out the window and linked up the PS2 with the new TV using the lead provided. Expecting to see my PS2 in a whole new light, I switched the machine on... only to find that the picture looked exactly the same only abit bigger. Damn!

Anyone care to comment on my dream-shattering predicament?
Sun 14/01/01 at 19:30
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
SCART should offer a very noticeable improvement in picture quality. When I first switched to it on my old PS the difference made me think how I ever suvived without it - especially when it came to on-screen text.

If you think you're getting the same picture from SCART and RF then there's something wrong somewhere because there is no way this should be happening. SCART splits the signal up into different parts whereas RF shoves it all down one way. Patronising example time! (sorry) Imagine a motorway with only one lane forcing three cars at a time down it at once - they'll all get there but they'll be a bit scratched by the end of the journey.

I don't own a PS2 so I don't know to what extent the setup can be changed but I'd have a fiddle about if I were you. With it being a DVD player as well maybe it is outputting a composite signal through the SCART lead (composite is what the RF lead outputs). If nobody in these forums with a PS2 can help try posting at one of the following:

www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk (in the hardware forum)
www.thedvdforums.com

I know they are DVD forums but the guys in there know a lot about signal types - more than I do anyway.
Sun 14/01/01 at 19:46
Hi, thanks for your reply SmokedKipper. I'd best go get my eyes tested...after I've had another go at SSX (thanks to special reserve for the prize in the gameaday competition!)
Sun 14/01/01 at 20:13
SCART, not RF. Youll notice the quality difference. Ive tried copying family home vids with both connections and RF degrades badly particularly in the sound department. The picture with a Scart connection is also much crisper.
Sun 14/01/01 at 20:14
Regular
Some how this has nothing to do with DVD's just the PS2!
Mon 15/01/01 at 19:30
I see your point SNIPER but I was only commenting on the DVD side for the PS2. The gaming part is fine. Maybe I should buy a dedicated DVD player.
Tue 16/01/01 at 08:56
Regular
"not dead"
SNIPER wrote:
> Some how this has nothing to do with DVD's just the PS2!

Actually it has a fair amount to do with DVD's, I was curious as to how much better quality a picture I could get on my VCR with a scart lead, as it's recommended in the manual.

Would a cheap Scart lead be worth picking up?

meka_dragon PQMS8/00
Tue 16/01/01 at 14:53
I think that it would be worth picking up a cheap SCART lead. I've had a fiddle around with my DVD player on the PS2 and SCART is definitely better then RF.

Bye.
Tue 16/01/01 at 21:52
"possibly impossible"
Any signal would be improved from a SCART connection. I was dubious at first, but even before I had my DVD player I tried using Scart on my video instead of RF. This improved picture quality on all my (decent) pre-recorded tapes, but the effect it had on DVD is amazing.

Obviously, the bigger your TV the more change you will notice, but it's certainly clearer and it also means that most TVs will switch over to the DVD as soon as it is turned on, instead of having to switch to another channel, how lazy is that!?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.