GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Smoking"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/03/03 at 10:29
Regular
What do the government recon they can achieve by these new smoking warnings on packets? Do you think that people who already smoke are going to read them and think 'Oh. Smoking kills? I'd better stop then.'

No. These adverts have been on cig packets since before I started smoking, and while I know they are there, I still choose to smoke because I want to, and I will quit when I want to. The day that I quit is allready decided, it's the day the docter tells me I'm going to be a father, and warnings that cover half the packet instead of a fifth isn't going to influence me or anyone else.

The only reason that these new warnings have been added to the cigarettes is that they are under pressure from anti-smoking groups. The thing is, is that the government want people to continue smoking. It's a massive earner for them in the extortionate tax they apply to cigarettes, in the full knowledge that because many people are dependant on them, people will buy them regardless of the price. If it wern't for this, they would have been banned from sale a long time ago.

These new warnings do nothing to change the views of existing smokers, and new people choose to start smoking regardless of the warnings for their own personal reasons. It's like when they banned cigarette advertising in Formula 1. How many smokers do you know started because their favourite F1 team had it plastered down the side of their cars? The removal of the ads had a massive impact on Formula 1, with companies struggling to keep in the season from lack of funds.

The government will continue to rob and mock smokers as they please, and there's nothing smokers can do about it other than quit. Doesn't that suck?

Right, I'm off for a fag.

ps. Don't you just hate it when your enjoyment of a cig is taken away by a desperate need for a whizz?
Thu 06/03/03 at 10:29
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
What do the government recon they can achieve by these new smoking warnings on packets? Do you think that people who already smoke are going to read them and think 'Oh. Smoking kills? I'd better stop then.'

No. These adverts have been on cig packets since before I started smoking, and while I know they are there, I still choose to smoke because I want to, and I will quit when I want to. The day that I quit is allready decided, it's the day the docter tells me I'm going to be a father, and warnings that cover half the packet instead of a fifth isn't going to influence me or anyone else.

The only reason that these new warnings have been added to the cigarettes is that they are under pressure from anti-smoking groups. The thing is, is that the government want people to continue smoking. It's a massive earner for them in the extortionate tax they apply to cigarettes, in the full knowledge that because many people are dependant on them, people will buy them regardless of the price. If it wern't for this, they would have been banned from sale a long time ago.

These new warnings do nothing to change the views of existing smokers, and new people choose to start smoking regardless of the warnings for their own personal reasons. It's like when they banned cigarette advertising in Formula 1. How many smokers do you know started because their favourite F1 team had it plastered down the side of their cars? The removal of the ads had a massive impact on Formula 1, with companies struggling to keep in the season from lack of funds.

The government will continue to rob and mock smokers as they please, and there's nothing smokers can do about it other than quit. Doesn't that suck?

Right, I'm off for a fag.

ps. Don't you just hate it when your enjoyment of a cig is taken away by a desperate need for a whizz?
Thu 06/03/03 at 10:33
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
If everyone stopped smoking like the government seems to be encouraging, they would have a hard time trying to raise the money from elsewhere. They would save money on the NHS i guess, but would it be enough?
Thu 06/03/03 at 10:35
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Nowhere near. Tax on cigarettes is about £2.80 per pack.
Thu 06/03/03 at 10:36
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
*sits back, lights up a cig and blows smoke rings around the office, with their concentric circles getting bigger and bigger. Gandalf would be proud of Unbeliever*
Thu 06/03/03 at 10:38
"Darkness, always"
*sigh*

The government puts warnings on packets through moral obligation. The tobacco companies don't care because all it does is act as a huge bold disclaimer preventing people from claiming damages when their lungs fail and they develop heart disease.

The government will continue to pile on tax on cigarettes, and the useless dopes addicted to them will blindly pay the tariff.

Works for me.
Thu 06/03/03 at 10:39
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Slaveunit wrote:
> Nowhere near. Tax on cigarettes is about £2.80 per pack.

Christ! And you will continue to pay that?
Thu 06/03/03 at 10:43
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Didn't we already do this argument this week?

*checks back through threads*
Thu 06/03/03 at 10:44
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
cookie monster wrote:
> Christ! And you will continue to pay that?

No, me and a few mates go on a booze cruise every 3 months or so and get them on the cheap.
Thu 06/03/03 at 10:45
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Goatboy wrote:
> Didn't we already do this argument this week?

SOrry, Diddn't know that. Ignore this one then.
Thu 06/03/03 at 11:48
Regular
"I ush!"
I was in a pub yesterday and a casual smoker got a packet of cigarettes with one of the new extra large warnings on them and commented on it being depressing. I think that if they take the fun out of smoking it might go some way towards helping, and with deterents like that and extra tax etc it might go some way towards helping.

Does anyone remember death tar cigarettes.

Warning, Smoking these cigarettes WILL kill you

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.