GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"LEGO Games"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/12/08 at 13:30
"possibly impossible"
I really think the LEGO games are missing a trick.

Ok, so far the mix of lego design and famous film characters has worked pretty well, but surely the one big advantage of real lego is being able to build things?

Imagine the next Lego game (which looks to be Lego Harry Potter by all acounts) but with the ability to re-build the levels from scratch once you'd unlocked them.

Not quite as complicated as Little Big Planet (these games are designed for everyone) but with parts that can be earned throughout the games you could build on a set level (background and some buildings) just to play around with.

As a lot of the modern lego seems to be pre-fabricated specific bits these days, you wouldn't have completely free reign to build anything, just, say, the front of a ship or the middle, roof and floor of a building which you can mix and match. Think more along the lines of the recent Banjo Kazooie vehicle building.

Like LBP you could also upload levels and because you're not desiging anything new as such, just putting pre-created bits together, there would be less need to moderate it.

I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that this could be the next big thing for Lego games, they certainly need another gimmick now the standard game format is wearing a bit thin.
Fri 05/12/08 at 20:23
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
That would work.

Its a shame really that you can't actually build the minikits you collect in game. That would at least be a start. I don't really see the point in them being built automatically.
Fri 05/12/08 at 16:00
"possibly impossible"
I'm thinking more of something pre-fabricated. So you'd have a whole bridge or a conveyer belt or something.

The house example I used would be just the top middle and bottom seperate, really just for the purpose of building something that looks different.

You'd probably have a game mode where you collect studs placed around the level, rather than anything complicated like building too many puzzles.

In other words, something an 8 year old could build.
Thu 04/12/08 at 19:49
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Its an interesing idea, but I think the joy of the LEGO games so far is that they are quick to pick up and play, as such when you see bits jumping about, it usually means you can see where to go next with what you have created. Sometimes I struggle to fnd ut what the thing I have created does, so add in the idea of having to build something without a known idea of a function would be a bit difficult.

It probably would work if you had an on-screen prompt saying "use pieces to build a bridge/car/helicopter/switch etc" and you could go into some customisation of what you want, but it may slow the pace down.

And if the next one is Harry Potter, he'd probably use a wand to magically create the pieces.

However, I would like to see a lego game where you could build up items, but I think it would have to be in a different format to what the current games are like.
Thu 04/12/08 at 18:04
Regular
"WeAppearToBeOnFire"
That sounds like a good idea pb.
Thu 04/12/08 at 13:30
"possibly impossible"
I really think the LEGO games are missing a trick.

Ok, so far the mix of lego design and famous film characters has worked pretty well, but surely the one big advantage of real lego is being able to build things?

Imagine the next Lego game (which looks to be Lego Harry Potter by all acounts) but with the ability to re-build the levels from scratch once you'd unlocked them.

Not quite as complicated as Little Big Planet (these games are designed for everyone) but with parts that can be earned throughout the games you could build on a set level (background and some buildings) just to play around with.

As a lot of the modern lego seems to be pre-fabricated specific bits these days, you wouldn't have completely free reign to build anything, just, say, the front of a ship or the middle, roof and floor of a building which you can mix and match. Think more along the lines of the recent Banjo Kazooie vehicle building.

Like LBP you could also upload levels and because you're not desiging anything new as such, just putting pre-created bits together, there would be less need to moderate it.

I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that this could be the next big thing for Lego games, they certainly need another gimmick now the standard game format is wearing a bit thin.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.