GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GeForce2 GTS 128mb?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/01/01 at 23:08
Regular
Nvidia claim that their GeForce2 GTS can take 128mb on-board DDR, and say on their website that they expect some companies to produce cards with 128mb, but has anyone actually found one, or even heard about one? Loads of 32/64mb about, but no 128...
Thu 25/01/01 at 23:12
Free connection

Angila Ploytechnic Univeristy Chelmsford
Thu 18/01/01 at 23:20
Regular
You get free connection? What uni is that?
Thu 18/01/01 at 21:11
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Just pointing out, ADSL is available in flavours up to 2mbps
Thu 18/01/01 at 21:03
Well in the future on line gaming is going sky rocket in popularity.
So what you need is fast connections. Pretty soon the ASDl and cable modems which operate at 512K will not be enough to run top end games.
However if your like me and go to university you can get FREE fast conncecton on a TTP1 line. And these are fast, none of this ASDL rubbish i'am talking 1.5MB per second.
So my point is it will only be the graphics card that is the driving force behind games.
Wed 17/01/01 at 23:37
Regular
RAM does not just increase the resolution of the card. Remember all those lovely new rendering features that you paid for to make things look hot, such as T&L and FSAA. These are also dependent on the onboard RAM too. What is important also is the achievable frequency or refresh rate. Not forgeting the achievable colour depth. Here is where the RAM and chip frequencies can come into play. These are also dependent on the data throughput to the RAM and to the chip. The newer cards (geforce and so on) will cache up the data in the RAM and then put it through to the system. The more RAM, the more rendering calcs you can perform quicker. The higher the FPS. This is balanced with the RAM dedicated to perform the T&L and FSAA calcs too.
The reason I think that you don't have any 128MB cards yet is that the rendering rate is not yet fast enough to fill all that space. Even the Geforce 2 Ultra, which renders at something ridiculous like 31 million triangles a second! comes with a 32MB version and still can produce 2048x1536 at 16million colours resolution. Whilst your monitor is not likely to support this, remember it's the 2D resolution quoted. Achievable 3D performance will not be that high. Top monitors should be achieving 1600 x 1280 with a reasonable refresh rate (85Hz).
If you can splash the dosh, I have seen Geforce 2 Ultras with 64MB DDR going for £350. A lot, but the increased FSAA performance is worth it. I've seen Geforce 2 Pro (64MB) versus Voodoo 5 ( 5000 I think) shots from Giants. The Voodoo 5 is supposed to support FSAA, but the difference is more than noticeable on just a still shot.
If true 32 bit colour is incorporated then I reckon 128MB may well be necessary. However I have heard that 64 bit colour is on the way, add in extra pipeline for multi path pixel shading and you've got one mother of a card there. It'll need cryogenic cooling or something!!!!
Tue 16/01/01 at 21:01
128MB of ram ah. Thats going to be intresting. remember that ram only will not make the game go any faster it only enables you to run games at higher resolutions . I think that the highest res you can achieve on todays cards is about 1600 by 1400 so with 128MB God only knows. But who has a moniter that can support these resolutions you might have the card to do it but if you force a poor old 17 inch or 19 inch into doing something haigh it CAN cause serve damage to moniter. It's all to do with refresh rates in the moniter can disply it it does not mean it likes it you will noitce flickering if you crank it up to high.
Also ££££ the top card at the monet is about £400 how much for a card with 128DDR? £500 £550?
Tue 16/01/01 at 21:01
128MB of ram ah. Thats going to be intresting. remember that ram only will not make the game go any faster it only enables you to run games at higher resolutions . I think that the highest res you can achieve on todays cards is about 1600 by 1400 so with 128MB God only knows. But who has a moniter that can support these resolutions you might have the card to do it but if you force a porr old 17 inch or 19 inch into doing something haigh it CAN cause serve damage to moniter. It's all to do with refresh rates in the moniter can disply it it does not mean it likes it you will noitce flickering if you crank it up to high.
Also ££££ the top card at the monet is about £400 how much for a card with 128DDR? £500 £550?
Sat 13/01/01 at 23:08
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Nvidia claim that their GeForce2 GTS can take 128mb on-board DDR, and say on their website that they expect some companies to produce cards with 128mb, but has anyone actually found one, or even heard about one? Loads of 32/64mb about, but no 128...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.