GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are domains chosen based on what yout going to do with them?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/03/03 at 20:50
Regular
I just recently registered a org.uk domain and I was starting to wonder what it ment? Am I saying that the name I registered is an organistion even though it isn't? Or doesn't it matter? My site which is in early development rite now is basicly going to be a games reviewing site so I'm not sure if I've chosen the rite suffix.
Mon 10/03/03 at 02:24
Regular
.at - Austria
.it - Italy
.ie - Ireland (Republic)
.DK - Denmark
.tv - Used by many media sites (eg www.channel5.tv)
.de - Germany
.fr - France
.be - Belgium

These can be rigistered in any country!
Mon 03/03/03 at 12:56
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Whooo! wrote:
> .com = american commercial site, or international

I'm commercial!

Yay!
Mon 03/03/03 at 12:51
Regular
"How Handy."
.com = american commercial site, or international
.org = non profit organisation
.net = internet service
.gov = government

.ac.uk = accademic institute (ie. uni)
.sch.uk = school
.co.uk = UK company
.org.uk = non profit organisation
.gov.uk = government

Those are the ones i can remember...

Obviously these are only guidelines, you can do whatever you want with them, but that's the idea.
Mon 03/03/03 at 08:53
Regular
"where's my tag?"
lol, that explains it all. Thanks, people!
Mon 03/03/03 at 03:40
Regular
"bing bang bong"
There are certain expectations about what sort of site you might find at the end of a .something extension. You'd be pretty suprised to find a site written in Chinese with a .co.uk extension, just as you might not expect to find a library with .tv on the end. org.uk implies some kind of non-commercial UK organisation, if your site is quite obviously not a business (like a fansite, say) then you're okay, otherwise your extension could be construed as inappropriate (and people will think you're a tightwad :O)
Sun 02/03/03 at 21:37
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
.org.uk are reserved for large organisations only, and should you be found using one without good cause, you may find yourself in court, because you're using a Domain extension which isn't specific to you.

:) just kidding.

Previously, there were different extensions for specific sites, .co.uk being a general UK based site, .org.uk being a UK based organisation, .com for American sites and/or internatinal sites.

However, more and more are being created just to make more money, and attempt to be more specific. But it doens't make a difference what extension you choose nowadays ... so they one you have is fine :D
Sun 02/03/03 at 20:57
Regular
i dunno too much about this but i personally dont think it really matters. i think they just bring out new suffixes because of the .coms and .co.uks mostly gettin used up or sumet.

thats cud be absolute ******** tho so i aint sure.
Sun 02/03/03 at 20:52
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Basically* Typing too fast I don't check my spelling :S
Sun 02/03/03 at 20:50
Regular
"where's my tag?"
I just recently registered a org.uk domain and I was starting to wonder what it ment? Am I saying that the name I registered is an organistion even though it isn't? Or doesn't it matter? My site which is in early development rite now is basicly going to be a games reviewing site so I'm not sure if I've chosen the rite suffix.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.