GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"HTTPS"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 30/11/08 at 15:45
Regular
I am sure we have covered this before, but do Freeola supports secure servers? we are trying to create custom payment pages for paypal, and they Paypal prefer the images on secure servers, at present I cant get the images to work on normal servers so I assume that it needs HTTPS to make the custom pages work?

Digi
Wed 03/12/08 at 21:11
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
hiya digi,
if your lokking for a check out solution try "Roman Cart", they offer a free checkout service that includes paypal and many other optional payment methods, plus you can add it to your site for free.
Tue 02/12/08 at 19:47
Regular
Ooooops sorry Hmmm I did mean to include you in that post as I know you did answer it first - Eccles originally said that it was a no no as it would over load his server but then came back with an update

Your wisdom is always appreciated on here and I value you as a regular poster and am cross with myself that I forgot to say thanks

Digi
Tue 02/12/08 at 09:22
"Are you sure?"
Digitrader wrote:
> Hi Eccles
> thanks for the prompt feedback on this and going by all the
> edits you have been busy on this case its much appreciated...

*Re-reads the whole thread...*

Yeah, well done Eccles - suggesting using the Instant site HTTPS was a great idea and shows brilliant lateral thinking!? :¬P

why didn't I think of that!... ;¬)

Search Freeola Chat My Freeola Instant Site
Mon 01/12/08 at 19:01
Regular
Hi Eccles
thanks for the prompt feedback on this and going by all the edits you have been busy on this case its much appreciated. I currently have the image on our instant site ( its a tiny file and not a busy paypal shop) so we wont kill your server honest :) we did add the https and had to alter the url slighty but it is working and no errrs about secure and non secure pages now from paypal.

Digi
Mon 01/12/08 at 16:54
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
I'm going to see it I can work out a way of allowing secure images to be served on the next Instant Sites update, which is going to be run off several new servers instead of just one. The idea is that the servers would be load balanced so sites would load even faster. We don't want all images served off one server via HTTPS as this will slow down the service unnecessarily for all users (HTTPS is slower due to the overheads involved in creating a secure connection).

Edit: Good news is the images will still be served via HTTPS but you will have to add HTTPS and change the URL slightly to get it to work.

Non HTTPS images will be served by a different web server whose only purpose is to serve images quickly via HTTP.

Edit number 2: As for HTTPS on normal hosting, we may be bringing this to VIP hosting in the futures, probably as a shared SSL solution to start with (this is where anything you want served in secure mode uses the same URL) but I don't think this will be possible for free hosting.
Mon 01/12/08 at 14:40
Regular
Hi Hmmmm and Eccles

Yeah Hmmm you got it spot on we dont want the error message about secure and non secure pages on Paypal to keep the shopping experiance neat and clean.

I see by your example that the instant example site does work, but if Eccles is going to be changing the urls thats twice the work lol I will go with the site builder option just now as thats space we already have and can use (after all we are paying for it)

Eccles you should take this suggestion to to IT wizards and ask them very kindly if they can supply us with a HTTPS option, notsure how it works? is it as simple as adding a new folder in to our web space and name it SECURE? so when we FTP we have

HTDOCS CGI-SHL and SECURE?

Naturaly at no extra cost to us poor subcribers

PS love the new monthly bill with VAT @15%

Digi
Mon 01/12/08 at 09:15
"Are you sure?"
Eccles wrote:
> The HTTPS location is only in secure mode when you are editing
> your instant site. The images are served to the web via normal
> HTTP, changing the image address to HTTPS will cause an invalid
> SSL certificate error, which I expect Paypal won't like. Also the
> image URLs will be changing in the near future so I advise
> against using this method for now.

Hi Eccles, I can assure you it works.
FWIW - example HTTPS image

Search Freeola Chat My Freeola Instant Site
Sun 30/11/08 at 23:11
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Hmmm... wrote:

> 1/
> As a Freeola ADSL customer you have access to a Free Instant
> site. You could upload your PayPal header/logo to the image
> 'store' which happens to be an HTTPS location. You can then
> successfully use this image on PayPal without any
> 'secure/non-secure' warning messages! The address of the image
> doesn't contain the Instant Site address (uses a 'sitebuilder'
> one) so it works well.

The HTTPS location is only in secure mode when you are editing your instant site. The images are served to the web via normal HTTP, changing the image address to HTTPS will cause an invalid SSL certificate error, which I expect Paypal won't like. Also the image URLs will be changing in the near future so I advise against using this method for now.
Sun 30/11/08 at 20:20
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
> Hi Dragonlance,
> But when you go to pay via PayPal your site uses a bland text
> header rather than keeping the graphic that you have on the
> 'actual' website!
>
> This is where PayPal custom pages let you brand
> their payment page to try to integrate things and make the whole
> checkout experience look better. I think this is what Digi was
> after.

Thanks Hmmm, ok I see what you mean but the 'client' is always right and that is what they wanted and what they stipulated ....

The 'customer' is still aware that they are paying the 'correct' recipient and that they have selected the 'correct' service that they require ... job done. No complaints, so far:-)

In website building requests, such as the linked example, I always go with my 'old Russian coding mistress's theory' ...KISS...Keep it simple, stupid!

Only, she didn't say it as politely as that:-)
Sun 30/11/08 at 17:49
"Are you sure?"
Hi Dragonlance,
But when you go to pay via PayPal your site uses a bland text header rather than keeping the graphic that you have on the 'actual' website!

This is where PayPal custom pages let you brand their payment page to try to integrate things and make the whole checkout experience look better. I think this is what Digi was after.

Search Freeola Chat

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.