GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ghosts"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/03/03 at 16:41
Regular
Since I was young I was interested in the occult, ghosts in particular. I have read many books about ghosts over the years, all of which interested me but none that explained how ghosts appear to be. Various explanations from experts say that ghosts are spirits of living creatures that have unfinished business on earth. Other explanations state that ghosts are spirits of people who met an untimely end and are doomed to face eternity on earth in spirit form. I cannot believe either of these theories or the many versions of them people have concocted.

My own theory about ghosts is that there are many different realities occurring in the same place at different times. When a ghost is seen, we simply see into a different reality for a length of time because there is a temporary lapse between realities. This would explain why ghosts are generally unaware of human presence and act of everyday activities. This would also make sense because ghosts appear everywhere, not just historical places like castles and churches. Just because people see a ghost that looks to be wearing Victorian clothing, they assume it is a trapped spirit from that time period. Who is to say that the reality occurring behind us aren’t still in their Victorian era? Personally I am not a sceptic at all and I fully believe in ghosts due to several experiences I have had in my past

Three Times

This was the first apparition that occurred to me in my life, and probably the one I remember the most. It happened when I was eleven, almost twelve years old but I can remember it as if it was yesterday. One night I awoke at exactly 3am, and looked over to my bedroom door, which I used to leave open a crack. As I looked at my door it started to slowly open, and once it was fully open I witnessed the figure of a young girl walk in. At first I thought this was my younger sister who was nine at the time, but the girl looked about five, much too young to be my sister. She wore a long white nightgown and had very long blonde hair. The girl stood in my doorway for a couple of seconds then moved over to my desk chair. It was one of those office style chairs that have wheels on the bottom and the seat rotates. The girl kneeled on the chair and spun herself round. After she pushed herself around for the third time she simply faded to nothing.
At first I thought this was just a dream or that I was seeing things, but that was not the case. The evidence was clearly there, my bedroom door was fully open and my office chair was facing a different direction to usual. This was when I realised I has indeed seen a ghost. But this wasn’t the end of the experience with the little girl. The next night I woke up again at exactly 3am, and witnessed the exact same apparition, and it occurred on a third night also. After the third night it simply ceased to occur. I am not sure as to the relevance of the apparition but the number three seemed to play a large part in them. It occurred for three consecutive nights, it occurred at 3am each night and the girl spun three times on my chair. What this means I really have no idea, all I do know is that every time I wake up at 3am in my bedroom, I am unnerved.

Laughter

A few months after the apparitions of the young girl had ended I had an unnerving experience. I awoke one night needing the toilet, so I rose from bed and answered the call of nature. On my return to my bedroom I heard a faint noise, but ignored it and put it down to been my overactive imagination. As I got into bed again the noise got louder and I recognised it as young children’s laughing. At first I assumed it was a child in a nearby house laughing, but realised that it was the dead of night and there were no particularly young children who lived near me. The sound of laughter got louder and louder until it sounded as if it was coming from right outside my window. I could now make out each delighted shriek of child’s laughing and could tell that there seemed to be more than one child.
I wasn’t scared as much as baffled as to why there were some small children playing in my back garden in the middle of the night. I lay in bed waiting for the noise to go away but after a few minutes it was unbearable. I kneeled up on my bed and tore open my curtains to see who the culprits were but was faced with an empty garden. The split second I did this, the laughter stopped and everything was silent again. I was puzzled about what has happened and it crossed my mind that it could somehow be related to the apparition of the little girl I saw. It never happened to me again but I am still ready to tear open the curtains should it ever happen again.

The Old Woman

A few years ago in the summer holidays I spent quite a lot of time messing around in the woods near my house with my friend. One day we were cycling up to the woods when we noticed a large old house that we hadn’t noticed before. It had a dirty white exterior, old-fashioned windows and was surrounded by large trees. How neither of us had noticed the house before was exceptionally strange but we both decided it looked distinctly eerie. This house backed onto the woods in which we were making our way to so we decided we would take a look at the back of the house from the safety of the woods. The upstairs windows had a thick white netting in them so we couldn’t see inside, but we could clearly see into the kitchen. We viewed an old gas cooker with a large metal kettle on it. There was a sink with dirty long-necked brass taps, and the walls were bare and dirty looking. We came to the conclusion that the house was probably abandoned, this accounted for the bad state of repair and the old-fashioned interior.
However been quite inquisitive that wasn’t the end of investigating the house. Whenever we were in the woods we would go and look at the house, hoping to see something, what we hoped to see I don’t know. On nights the house never had any lights on and we never witnessed anyone leaving or entering the house. This built up our theory that the house was abandoned. But if the house were abandoned, why wouldn’t an estate agent claim the house and sell it? There was no “for sale” sign in the garden so this couldn’t be the case. There was one time, and just one time, after we had probably been looking at the house three weeks, that we saw something. We were looking at the front of the house at the upstairs windows and an old woman just appeared from nowhere in the window, she looked at us for a few seconds as we stared back, amazed. After a couple of seconds she faded to nothing and the house was empty again.
I assume it is possible that an old lady lives alone in the darkness and never leaves the house but I feel it is doubtful. Both my friend and I know what we saw and it was definitely an old woman, she wore and old blue sweater, had curly white hair and glasses. We agreed not to tell anyone about the experience but then something happened. Another friend of mine was taking a shortcut through the woods and looked into the kitchen of the same house and saw an old woman watching him. He waved at the old woman and told me that as he waved at her she faded to nothing and the kitchen was empty. He described the old woman as having curly white hair, glasses and wearing an old blue sweater. Whether the house is abandoned and haunted, or an old lady lives there without lights and a change of clothes, I do not
know. What I do know however is that I don’t dare knock on the door to find out

Ghost Dog

One night I was walking back from the cinema alone, it will have been about 8 O’clock. I was walking towards my house when I saw a dog on the other side of the road alone. I thought it strange that a dog would be out on its own on a housing estate, especially late at night but continued to walk. The dog caught sight of me and began walking across the road getting faster and faster until it was running right at me. I panicked and began to walk quickly trying to avoid it but it was running at me too fast. When it got right in front of me it leapt at me and I covered my face fearing the worst, the dog however had disappeared.

These are my experiences and my proof and except you to only beleive as much of it as you want to, I am not going to impose my views onto any of you. I hope you enjoyed reading this, long as it may be, thanks - kyz
Sun 02/03/03 at 14:46
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Wow the link stole my idea (except the scientific jargon) I am going to have to write that up or steal it for my site - cheers mate!
Sun 02/03/03 at 14:42
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Yeah Tóm, I sort of didnt explain that we could be ghosts in a different reality without been aware of it. Im going to take a look at that link now :-)
Sun 02/03/03 at 14:34
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
It's a very interesting thought, that ghosts are infact people in parallel worlds. Especially after reading this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2001/paralleluni.shtml

What makes me even more interested, is the idea that the people in the parallel universe could see us, when we can't see them. To some people, somewhere, maybe we could be ghosts?

At times when we think we're alone - what happens if we're in clear view to some people in another world?
Sun 02/03/03 at 14:22
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
In reply to Simon Says:

Thanks for reading in-depth and bringing forward such a thoughout out reply instead of the other numpties who just say "heh, cool".

I would like to beleive in ghosts and my theory of paralell existences is my way of explaining things, not what I think is entirely true. I suppose some of my experiences could be investigated and logicalised however I think some of them are inexplicable by modern science. I assume a large number of people won't beleive me and I am the only one who knows exactly what went on and I am sure I didn't imagine the occurances.

I will write the events up in more detail one day and perhaps they will be easier for people to understand and maybe people will even be able to give me a reason why I saw the things. I assume if I think deeply about it, the events were not at stressful or nervous times of my life (Right now I have my GCSE's coming up and I havent seen anything!)

Thanks for reading :-)
Sun 02/03/03 at 01:39
Regular
"cachoo"
I remember seeing this link. Its not very nice. Something about a ghost appearing in a photo someone took.

http://www.tallrite.com/LightRelief/ghosthouse.htm

You might have already seen it though.
Horrible!
Sat 01/03/03 at 19:38
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Ghosts are the product of an overactive imagination. And a little naivety.
Sat 01/03/03 at 19:37
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I thought you might put this in Life.
Sat 01/03/03 at 17:31
Regular
"I ush!"
Well, they certainly make for entertaining anecdotes if nothing else.

Personally I am a sceptic. However there are too many stories of such things to simply write them off completely. I don't think that there are such things as ghosts in the conventional meaning. I think that for the most part ghosts are tricks of the light, of peoples imaginations, or tricks that the brain plays on us in situations of extreme anxiety or stress to force us to take necessary action.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that I think you are telling porkies. I just think that there has to be a more plausible explanation.

Playing devils advocate though, I do find your ghost theory interesting, but if it were true, and there were several different realities (which I find highly plausible) then chances are there would never be any reconisable Victorian era to speak of. Also, if they are largely unaware of human's how could they be aware of other things in our reality, like your office chair?

My theory is that certain people are psychologically more susceptible to such things. Call it an overactive imagination if you will, but you must be somehow special for such things to have happened three times to you, and none to me.

I have to slip out a while, but I do look forward to your reply.
This is an interesting one : )
Sat 01/03/03 at 16:41
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Since I was young I was interested in the occult, ghosts in particular. I have read many books about ghosts over the years, all of which interested me but none that explained how ghosts appear to be. Various explanations from experts say that ghosts are spirits of living creatures that have unfinished business on earth. Other explanations state that ghosts are spirits of people who met an untimely end and are doomed to face eternity on earth in spirit form. I cannot believe either of these theories or the many versions of them people have concocted.

My own theory about ghosts is that there are many different realities occurring in the same place at different times. When a ghost is seen, we simply see into a different reality for a length of time because there is a temporary lapse between realities. This would explain why ghosts are generally unaware of human presence and act of everyday activities. This would also make sense because ghosts appear everywhere, not just historical places like castles and churches. Just because people see a ghost that looks to be wearing Victorian clothing, they assume it is a trapped spirit from that time period. Who is to say that the reality occurring behind us aren’t still in their Victorian era? Personally I am not a sceptic at all and I fully believe in ghosts due to several experiences I have had in my past

Three Times

This was the first apparition that occurred to me in my life, and probably the one I remember the most. It happened when I was eleven, almost twelve years old but I can remember it as if it was yesterday. One night I awoke at exactly 3am, and looked over to my bedroom door, which I used to leave open a crack. As I looked at my door it started to slowly open, and once it was fully open I witnessed the figure of a young girl walk in. At first I thought this was my younger sister who was nine at the time, but the girl looked about five, much too young to be my sister. She wore a long white nightgown and had very long blonde hair. The girl stood in my doorway for a couple of seconds then moved over to my desk chair. It was one of those office style chairs that have wheels on the bottom and the seat rotates. The girl kneeled on the chair and spun herself round. After she pushed herself around for the third time she simply faded to nothing.
At first I thought this was just a dream or that I was seeing things, but that was not the case. The evidence was clearly there, my bedroom door was fully open and my office chair was facing a different direction to usual. This was when I realised I has indeed seen a ghost. But this wasn’t the end of the experience with the little girl. The next night I woke up again at exactly 3am, and witnessed the exact same apparition, and it occurred on a third night also. After the third night it simply ceased to occur. I am not sure as to the relevance of the apparition but the number three seemed to play a large part in them. It occurred for three consecutive nights, it occurred at 3am each night and the girl spun three times on my chair. What this means I really have no idea, all I do know is that every time I wake up at 3am in my bedroom, I am unnerved.

Laughter

A few months after the apparitions of the young girl had ended I had an unnerving experience. I awoke one night needing the toilet, so I rose from bed and answered the call of nature. On my return to my bedroom I heard a faint noise, but ignored it and put it down to been my overactive imagination. As I got into bed again the noise got louder and I recognised it as young children’s laughing. At first I assumed it was a child in a nearby house laughing, but realised that it was the dead of night and there were no particularly young children who lived near me. The sound of laughter got louder and louder until it sounded as if it was coming from right outside my window. I could now make out each delighted shriek of child’s laughing and could tell that there seemed to be more than one child.
I wasn’t scared as much as baffled as to why there were some small children playing in my back garden in the middle of the night. I lay in bed waiting for the noise to go away but after a few minutes it was unbearable. I kneeled up on my bed and tore open my curtains to see who the culprits were but was faced with an empty garden. The split second I did this, the laughter stopped and everything was silent again. I was puzzled about what has happened and it crossed my mind that it could somehow be related to the apparition of the little girl I saw. It never happened to me again but I am still ready to tear open the curtains should it ever happen again.

The Old Woman

A few years ago in the summer holidays I spent quite a lot of time messing around in the woods near my house with my friend. One day we were cycling up to the woods when we noticed a large old house that we hadn’t noticed before. It had a dirty white exterior, old-fashioned windows and was surrounded by large trees. How neither of us had noticed the house before was exceptionally strange but we both decided it looked distinctly eerie. This house backed onto the woods in which we were making our way to so we decided we would take a look at the back of the house from the safety of the woods. The upstairs windows had a thick white netting in them so we couldn’t see inside, but we could clearly see into the kitchen. We viewed an old gas cooker with a large metal kettle on it. There was a sink with dirty long-necked brass taps, and the walls were bare and dirty looking. We came to the conclusion that the house was probably abandoned, this accounted for the bad state of repair and the old-fashioned interior.
However been quite inquisitive that wasn’t the end of investigating the house. Whenever we were in the woods we would go and look at the house, hoping to see something, what we hoped to see I don’t know. On nights the house never had any lights on and we never witnessed anyone leaving or entering the house. This built up our theory that the house was abandoned. But if the house were abandoned, why wouldn’t an estate agent claim the house and sell it? There was no “for sale” sign in the garden so this couldn’t be the case. There was one time, and just one time, after we had probably been looking at the house three weeks, that we saw something. We were looking at the front of the house at the upstairs windows and an old woman just appeared from nowhere in the window, she looked at us for a few seconds as we stared back, amazed. After a couple of seconds she faded to nothing and the house was empty again.
I assume it is possible that an old lady lives alone in the darkness and never leaves the house but I feel it is doubtful. Both my friend and I know what we saw and it was definitely an old woman, she wore and old blue sweater, had curly white hair and glasses. We agreed not to tell anyone about the experience but then something happened. Another friend of mine was taking a shortcut through the woods and looked into the kitchen of the same house and saw an old woman watching him. He waved at the old woman and told me that as he waved at her she faded to nothing and the kitchen was empty. He described the old woman as having curly white hair, glasses and wearing an old blue sweater. Whether the house is abandoned and haunted, or an old lady lives there without lights and a change of clothes, I do not
know. What I do know however is that I don’t dare knock on the door to find out

Ghost Dog

One night I was walking back from the cinema alone, it will have been about 8 O’clock. I was walking towards my house when I saw a dog on the other side of the road alone. I thought it strange that a dog would be out on its own on a housing estate, especially late at night but continued to walk. The dog caught sight of me and began walking across the road getting faster and faster until it was running right at me. I panicked and began to walk quickly trying to avoid it but it was running at me too fast. When it got right in front of me it leapt at me and I covered my face fearing the worst, the dog however had disappeared.

These are my experiences and my proof and except you to only beleive as much of it as you want to, I am not going to impose my views onto any of you. I hope you enjoyed reading this, long as it may be, thanks - kyz

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.