GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"More XP questions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 28/02/03 at 13:29
Regular
Right, so after looking for that password peogram, I've instead set up users on the machine, and given myself the administrator status.

That's great. My files are secure, and noone can install software but me.

the trouble now is that none of the other accounts will use the same dialup connection. It's there, on the list of accounts, but it won't just pop up the connection box like it does on my account. Any ideas?

Also, it says in the help stuff that the administrator has access to all the files on the computer, including all the files in other users directories, but doesn't tell you where they are. Any ideas?

Ta.

Slave (hating XP on a dialy basis)
Tue 04/03/03 at 22:28
"High polygon count"
DeltaJava wrote:
> After SP1, it takes 50 seconds to load up, and the welcome screen eats
> up a lotof this time.

Have you tried turning the Welcome Screen off to see if that helps?

From the WinXP Help & Support Center...

-----

To turn the Welcome screen on or off
You must have a computer administrator account to turn the Use the Welcome screen feature on or off.

Open User Accounts in Control Panel.
Click Change the way users log on or off.
Do one of the following:
To specify that users log on to the computer using the Welcome screen, select the Use the Welcome screen check box.
A user logs on to the computer by clicking his or her user account name on the Welcome screen. If a password is assigned to the account, the user is prompted to type it.

To specify that users log on to the computer without using the Welcome screen, clear the Use the Welcome screen check box.
The Welcome screen will no longer appear when you start the computer. To log on to the computer, type your user name (and password, if you have one) in the standard Log On to Windows dialog box.

Notes

To open User Accounts, click Start, click Control Panel, and then click User Accounts.
Fast User Switching is available only when the option to log on using the Welcome screen is turned on.
For more information about user accounts, click Related Topics.
Tue 04/03/03 at 15:51
Tóm wrote:
> My XP loads up very quickly.
>
> Sure you haven't got some program starting up each time you turn on
> your computer, that's hanging a bit?

Looking at msconfig, here is a list of the things starting up:

AVG (virus checker)
smc (firewall)
taskswitch (?)
fast (?)
Netrun (Program that opens programs when connecetd to internet)
InCD (enables CDs to be read and wriiten to like floppies)
ctfmon (something to do with handwriting recognition I think; I've tried getting rid of it, but it keeps coming back)

Cthelper (?)

and two nv pograms which have something to so with my graphics card. Although the above programs were installed after SP1, that still doesn't explain why it takes significantly longer after installing SP1, even when they weren't installed.
Tue 04/03/03 at 09:07
Regular
""
and did XP still work after you put SP1 on?
Tue 04/03/03 at 08:35
Regular
You will find most operating systems take longer to load if they have a network card, do you? also SP1 is causing a few problems with peoples pc's, my moto is if it aint broke then don't fix it, although i have installed SP1 but that was just testing something (to do with xp pro) i think you know what i mean ;).

c.b.
Tue 04/03/03 at 08:30
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
My XP loads up very quickly.

Sure you haven't got some program starting up each time you turn on your computer, that's hanging a bit?
Mon 03/03/03 at 21:29
"High polygon count"
Odd... my XP is completely up to date, and loads pretty quickly. Most of the time is the initial boot; my welcome screen appears and disappears almost instantly!
Mon 03/03/03 at 15:58
Here's a piece of pointless info - before installing SP1, XP took 32 seconds to load, and the welcome screen was non existent. After SP1, it takes 50 seconds to load up, and the welcome screen eats up a lotof this time. Then yeseterday, I found through Windows Update that I needed 17 critical patches to my computer! 17! It may be the fastest OS to load up when you buy it, but it certainly if you want to be on the safe side.
Mon 03/03/03 at 10:14
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Wookie was right, It's everyone on the same connection that I'm after, and this sounds like the solution I need.

Cheers guys!
Fri 28/02/03 at 15:11
"High polygon count"
I think he wants all users to use the connection.

What Azul says is almost right, except that the connection is set up to "Me only" by default - you need to double-click on the connection as if you were connecting - as he says - and select "Anyone who uses this computer".

As for other people's files - if you're talking about their documents etc., by default they'll be in "C:\Documents ad settings" under each user's name.
Fri 28/02/03 at 14:39
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Right, for the connection one, I'm not sure, but I think what your saying is, is that you want to connect using a differemt Connection from the others, right?

Well, go to Start > Connect To > [Your connection], and there should be a "Who do you want to use this connection", or something along those lines.

Click on "Me Only", and that's it.

If this ain't what you need, well, sorry, but I think that's what your saying....

:-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.