GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tell us your PS2 1st time experiences"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 12/01/01 at 13:37
Regular
When I initially heard about the PS2, I was excited.
Saw the spec, read the reviews and watched the launch date in Japan and US. Didn’t bother to pre-order one because I didn’t expect this situation that exists now.
The UK got some, they sold out and a few people went home happy. I was content to wait until mid-2001, cheaper price, easier to get hold of etc etc.
Until one morning I was in Tesco in Peterborough, saw a line of people and realised it was for a PS2 shipment.
I got in line and waited for 2 hrs, handed over my money and just walked out of the store with one. No pre-order, no fights, no hassles, just lined up and left with the fabled PS2 in my hands.

Now, I’m 27yrs old, but waiting in that line made me feel like a 9yr old on Xmas eve.
I had not cared, truly, whether I got one or not, but there they were, in front of me and I could get one.
Standing there chatting with the other people, inching forwards to pick it up, driving home with it next to me – Immature maybe, but made me grin all the way back home.
Phoned up some mates, invited them over that evening without telling them why and left it sitting in the box as I went back to work.
I loved the fact that I was (am) a responsible adult (almost), yet I felt like a big kid in that line, grinning from ear to ear and yakking with the others in the line.
It’s just a game system, but to get hold of one so easily, with no problems when I wasn’t expecting it made my month, I mean you pop in to a store for some grapes and soda, and you come out with a PS2 4 days before Xmas?????
Top planet I live on I tells ya.

Got home, they all came over, I took the PS2 out and they fell to their knees and worshipped me.
As they should do anyway, but that’s a different story.
We set it up, watched the load screen, tried out the demo disc and then Tekken Tag.
Pretty damn impressive.
Then SSX, fantastic and then NFL 2001 – Jaw Dropping.

So, those that moan about how rubbish the PS2 is, wait until you’ve got one or had the option to get one before you start screaming.
If you don’t like PS2, don’t buy one. If you’re happy with Dreamcast, good for you.
It doesn’t matter at the end of the day.
But I read “I think the PS2 is pants” posts, and invariably they are from people that don’t have the system.
Calm down people, play whatever system you like or don’t play any.

But take it from a former “PS2 looks alright but I won’t bother getting one until next Xmas” person, the machine is great fun, fantastic visuals, plays DVD a charm and just looks like the mutts nutts sitting under your tv.
Tue 16/01/01 at 09:29
Regular
Vai, I had exactly the same thing! I ordered early september and got mine launch day.
Unfortunately I am staying about 100 miles away from home, so I didn`t see the letter or PS2 until a whole day later!
Tue 16/01/01 at 07:02
I ordered mine back in september (last year) i didnt really think i was gonna get one until after christmas, got home one day and there was a letter for me with P S 2 on the front, opened it up and found i was gonna be geting one on the 24th of November :) sufice to say i was happy
Mon 15/01/01 at 21:50
Regular
Hey Tappa, I reckon you must have had an N64 or a PC, because you reckon the controller is prehistoric. I personally prefer the PS versions to the N64 by far, but I have noticed that most people who have got used to a keyboard or N64 controller claim that the PS controllers are bad when they convert. Is dis twue?
Mon 15/01/01 at 20:04
Regular
I had a PS2 but I sold at a massive profit and I can tell you I was pleased to see it go. I had TTT and Fifa and felt badly let down by both games.The hardest thing i found to swallow was actually how bad the PS2 looked And how prehistoric the controllers seemed.After saying this though you could tell that this was a quality console and i am sure there will be some superb games out soon. For now i am just as happy with my dreamcast which was close to being made redundant by the promise of the all new PS2. I am definately going to hang on to see what the Competitors have to offer before i make any descisions on my next console purchase
Mon 15/01/01 at 13:39
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Exactly.
£299 is not that much really, when you consider that the cheapest DVD player is about £150, so for another £150 you get a state of the art console that has yet to hit it's prime.
I've got SSX, and it's fantastic, DOA2 and that rocks and NFL 2001 which is stunning.
This is 1st generation, so the best is yet to come.

Every console has teething trouble, give it time and the vast majority of people will calm down and get one.

Dreamcast is ok, I've just got reservations based on Sega track record.
They get the jump by releasing their console early, promote the hell out of it and then forget about it 1yr after releasing it because they can't compete with Sony.

They both have merits.
Sega is good at coin-op conversions, Sony is good at things with more depth.
I mean, MGS2 or Sega Bass Fishing???
Different people like different things, each system has it's good and bad.

Let's all just calm down, get either or both and enjoy it.
So what if the Dreamcast is rubbish?
So what if the PS2 is rubbish?
They are both good, they are both bad.
It's a matter of taste.
Mon 15/01/01 at 12:33
Regular
"Complete Banker"
I've got to agree. OK so the PS2's not perfect and Sony have made a few mistakes but reading EDGE I saw that Sega and Nintendo have made mistakes too - BIG ones!!
But all in all the ps2 is a excellent console, the 3 games that I have are all very good - Ok so they're not gonna change the world, but that doesn't mean that they're bad. Many of the people who slate the PS2 haven't got one and probably have only played it once in HMV. If these people have an opinion, feel free to share it, but at least make a constructive argument than the usual : "It looks C**P", "I don't like Tekken" etc.

In my opinion the PS2 is well worth the £299 asking price and is a very good piece of Kit. However it's real strengths will not become truely apparant until the end of this year/beginning of next.
The future is blue!
Mon 15/01/01 at 12:10
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yep, know what you mean.
I’d be screaming like a girl if I dropped mine. That’s why it stays under the tv, protected from the elements.
I had to replace my PS1 after a couple of years because the laser skipped, but I wonder if we’re seeing all these problems because so few PS2s are available at the moment?
There are bound to be a few duff ones, but if we had more than a couple hundred thousand consoles, we wouldn’t notice it as much.
I do feel for those who have problems, but (touch wood) I haven’t yet.
The DVD plays fine, old games work and zero complaints.

I've played most of the games (courtesy of Blockbuster) and even the less impressive games are still fun.
PS2, lots of fun and a nice little black box that just looks cool

Mon 15/01/01 at 12:09
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yep, know what you mean.
I’d be screaming like a girl if I dropped mine. That’s why it stays under the tv, protected from the elements.
I had to replace my PS1 after a couple of years because the laser skipped, but I wonder if we’re seeing all these problems because so few PS2s are available at the moment?
There are bound to be a few duff ones, but if we had more than a couple hundred thousand consoles, we wouldn’t notice it as much.

Mon 15/01/01 at 12:09
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yep, know what you mean.

Mon 15/01/01 at 11:30
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
ssxpro wrote:
> Spot on Goatboy!

The PS2 is exactly that, jaw-dropping. Its just
> a shame that those without one complain. However, there are some
> people with PS2s that have had problems, and these are being focused
> on more than the PS2s that work fine. This is also a shame, but if
> the console is given a few more months to get going, I believe it
> will get all the respect it deserves.

I know that the problems with the PS2 are being focussed on as you mentioned.
But do you feel as though the build quality of the PS2 (and PS) is poorer than the SNES, N64 etc?? Personally I have gone through 2 PSs and like a lot of others have had error messages on DVDs etc with my PS2.
I am happy with my PS2, but I had a snes for 5-6 years, and didn't even think about it maybe breaking. Perhaps because cd drives are more sesitive, or because the snes was built like a duplo brick!
PS2's sound piece of kit, but I would panic if I accidently dropped it from more than 1 foot!
Any opinions?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.