GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Real Football?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 28/02/03 at 08:36
Regular
Football, nowadays hey, what the hell has happened? What happened to insane amounts of supporters having to actually stand ON the pitch because so many people had come to support their team? This is real football and this is what football is about.
Unfortunately, this is not the case in the modern world, and football is no longer a source of entertainment for the public, but a business for rich people that happen to own their own clubs. People now have to pay absurd amounts, by comparison, just to watch their team form their own living room. I mean, what is up with that Premiership Plus thing on Sky? Why would you do that to people who simply want to have some way of entertaining themselves? Football used to be something that people could live, eat and breathe, and many a passionate supporter would break down after an important defeat. Nowadays, you go to say, Stanford Bridge, as I do regularly, and all you can hear is cursing and shouting. If a player is not playing well, they get booed or people get frustrated at them, but then when that player scores a goal, all of a sudden he is God to all watching. This shows that football is now more about appearance on the field, and keeping reputations and having a load of fans to follow you. The young star in the Scottish Third Division that will soon be playing for his country does not have this problem with fans; they applaud him for his efforts. People say that some footballers slack off on the field, and in some cases this is true, but not in the amount of cases that it is made to appear. For one, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is always called “Lazy” by the Chelsea fans, but how do they know this? Maybe he is tired, or is simply having a spot of bad form? We’ve all had them, so why cant footballers, as they are people too, just like anyone else.
Money is now such a large part of football that sometimes where or when a player is transferred to depends on the amount of money that they will receive. Who would not rather play at Barcelona on £10,000 a week instead of Plymouth at £12,000? Well, a lot of footballers. They all have their big houses and flashy cars and pop singer girlfriends (I’m looking at you Mr. Beckham) but do they still have the passion to play football? Sometimes I go to a match and it does appear that the player is just cruising along, happy to just come on as a sub every now and then, as long as their wallet is bulging. Also, transfer fees. £10 million for El Hadji Diouf? Then again, would you pay that much for anyone? Ok, if they are going to be so good that they tear defences limb from limb all over the planet, are named the best player in the world by a mile, and play endless games for club and country, then maybe they are worth a lot of money. But, some managers say they buy players to get them in the Champions league or to help them progress in the Champions League. What do you get at the end of the Champions League for winning it? Ah, yes, about £8 million, how could I forget? Please correct me if I am wrong. The players, admittedly, love to win the Champions League, but the club itself doesn’t. They see that cash as an opportunity, an opportunity to increase profits and make burning holes in pockets. The only current exception to this rule that I can think of is Leyton Orient, who are using some newfound cash (although there is not much left thanks to ITV) to build smart accommodation in the corners of their ground, Brisbane Road, so that their loyal fans can truly be a part of the club. Now then, THIS is football. Shame it is not replicated in the larger teams hey?
Fri 28/02/03 at 08:36
Regular
"Incomprehendible"
Football, nowadays hey, what the hell has happened? What happened to insane amounts of supporters having to actually stand ON the pitch because so many people had come to support their team? This is real football and this is what football is about.
Unfortunately, this is not the case in the modern world, and football is no longer a source of entertainment for the public, but a business for rich people that happen to own their own clubs. People now have to pay absurd amounts, by comparison, just to watch their team form their own living room. I mean, what is up with that Premiership Plus thing on Sky? Why would you do that to people who simply want to have some way of entertaining themselves? Football used to be something that people could live, eat and breathe, and many a passionate supporter would break down after an important defeat. Nowadays, you go to say, Stanford Bridge, as I do regularly, and all you can hear is cursing and shouting. If a player is not playing well, they get booed or people get frustrated at them, but then when that player scores a goal, all of a sudden he is God to all watching. This shows that football is now more about appearance on the field, and keeping reputations and having a load of fans to follow you. The young star in the Scottish Third Division that will soon be playing for his country does not have this problem with fans; they applaud him for his efforts. People say that some footballers slack off on the field, and in some cases this is true, but not in the amount of cases that it is made to appear. For one, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is always called “Lazy” by the Chelsea fans, but how do they know this? Maybe he is tired, or is simply having a spot of bad form? We’ve all had them, so why cant footballers, as they are people too, just like anyone else.
Money is now such a large part of football that sometimes where or when a player is transferred to depends on the amount of money that they will receive. Who would not rather play at Barcelona on £10,000 a week instead of Plymouth at £12,000? Well, a lot of footballers. They all have their big houses and flashy cars and pop singer girlfriends (I’m looking at you Mr. Beckham) but do they still have the passion to play football? Sometimes I go to a match and it does appear that the player is just cruising along, happy to just come on as a sub every now and then, as long as their wallet is bulging. Also, transfer fees. £10 million for El Hadji Diouf? Then again, would you pay that much for anyone? Ok, if they are going to be so good that they tear defences limb from limb all over the planet, are named the best player in the world by a mile, and play endless games for club and country, then maybe they are worth a lot of money. But, some managers say they buy players to get them in the Champions league or to help them progress in the Champions League. What do you get at the end of the Champions League for winning it? Ah, yes, about £8 million, how could I forget? Please correct me if I am wrong. The players, admittedly, love to win the Champions League, but the club itself doesn’t. They see that cash as an opportunity, an opportunity to increase profits and make burning holes in pockets. The only current exception to this rule that I can think of is Leyton Orient, who are using some newfound cash (although there is not much left thanks to ITV) to build smart accommodation in the corners of their ground, Brisbane Road, so that their loyal fans can truly be a part of the club. Now then, THIS is football. Shame it is not replicated in the larger teams hey?
Fri 28/02/03 at 10:36
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Football is based around money these days, but it helps keep the econonmy running. And there are also safety standards nowadays. If you want no-money-unsafe-fun, watch the conference on Sky sports.
Sat 01/03/03 at 16:54
Regular
"Incomprehendible"
Cheers. Will do.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.