GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Blockbuster movies??"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/01/01 at 23:38
Regular
What do you think of these so called 'Blockbuster' movies. Such examples as Godzilla, Independance Day, Armaggedon and Batman and Robin. I think most of them a very poor and a complete waste of time. There is no doubt that the effects are absolutely mind blowing but what about everything else??
Generally the acting is abysmal and there is always some corny line such as "time to kick meteorite butt". The story line is a half finished attempt burried beneath the multi million pound special effects. They are always so predictable aswell, some guy saves the world from destruction with only a matter of seconds remaining. Something that made me laugh was near the end of Independance Day. The character Wil Smith played somehow managed to get into an alien craft and miraculously knew how to fly it, HOW?? I know it is just a film but a sense of realism wouldnt go a miss!!
How many more of these ridiculous action films can they make, what happened to good old fashioned originality??
Thu 11/01/01 at 23:38
Regular
"Whatever!"
What do you think of these so called 'Blockbuster' movies. Such examples as Godzilla, Independance Day, Armaggedon and Batman and Robin. I think most of them a very poor and a complete waste of time. There is no doubt that the effects are absolutely mind blowing but what about everything else??
Generally the acting is abysmal and there is always some corny line such as "time to kick meteorite butt". The story line is a half finished attempt burried beneath the multi million pound special effects. They are always so predictable aswell, some guy saves the world from destruction with only a matter of seconds remaining. Something that made me laugh was near the end of Independance Day. The character Wil Smith played somehow managed to get into an alien craft and miraculously knew how to fly it, HOW?? I know it is just a film but a sense of realism wouldnt go a miss!!
How many more of these ridiculous action films can they make, what happened to good old fashioned originality??
Thu 11/01/01 at 23:40
Regular
You can tell by some names that some are crap.
Fri 12/01/01 at 10:13
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
I've been waiting for a post like this.

Films are a form of entertainment and, in my opinion, the more that stop trying to be 'art' the better.

Take American Beauty. What a loads of cack that was! Absolutely nothing of any interest was to be found in that film whatsoever.

Why judge the quality of the acting in a film? If you've watching a film and thinking about how well or badly acted it is then you're watching it in the wrong way and for the wrong reasons. Just sit back and try enjoy watching the people in the film and ignore the fact that they are actors at all.

OK so a lot of blockbuster films have far fetched moments in them but surely that just adds to the pure escapism.

Corny lines I'll give you - these are often annoying, but they are not as widesperead as you seem to think.

Are you the sort of person who moans about lack of plots in games as well? These two forms of entertainment have more in common than you think.

I await responses...

Fri 12/01/01 at 11:05
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I think it depends on the genre that you are watching. Armaggeddon was definately a blockbuster judging by box office receipts, and those shuttles must have been fuelled by pure liquid testosterone, and it was an end to end fest of great tag lines and fantastic visuals, so the acting didn't really matter. The Muppets could have played those roles, the adrenaline effect would have been the same.

But say if you chose a film with more of an emotional impact, like On Golden Pond. There you had Henry Fonda putting on one of the best acting displays you are likely to see from the 20th Century, and the only stunt was a boat hitting a rock. But it was the actors and actresses in that film that kept you on the knife edge of emotion all the way through.

Then you have the cerebral type of film. In this category you can include the multi-layered Total Recall, (was it a dream or not?), bad example I know, but it satisfies a lot of needs, because for action buffs it had the lot, for sci-fi fans in need of escapism it had the lot, for star seekers it had Arnie and Sharon Stone, and for pure acting ability it had Michael Ironside.

So films are different things to different people. You can watch the same film many times to satisfy different cravings at different times. One time to enjoy it, another to follow the plot, another to watch the effects, another to perhaps learn something.
Fri 12/01/01 at 12:21
I think you all have good points. Big budget films are never made to win oscars, they are made to get bums in seats and make lots of cash. American Beauty (which wasn't exactly cack by the way) is a fantastic film which won oscars but didn't make much money at the box-office.

When i go to see a film i just want to switch off. Films like Godzilla are terrible, yes but they are never meant to be viewed as a masterpiece, are they? The main reason for watching Godzilla is to see a huge lizard destroying New York - you don't watch it for a gritty urban love story do you?
Films have admirable qualities whether they are big budget no brain action film or quiet, indie art-house movies. So there.
Fri 12/01/01 at 12:42
Regular
"not dead"
Yes indeed, I don't watch films for any reason other than to be entertained.

I can be entertained by lots of running around with big explosions.

I can be entertained by a well acted out story (with little or no explosive action).

Best of all I like to be entertained by watching bad actors try to work out who is trying to kill them, as they get slashed open with an array of weapons.

But sometimes these blockbuster movies really are dire though! Batman and Robin was just terrible!

Godzilla o the other hand was quite fun. It had a very strange sense of humour that seem ed to appeal to me.

And I watched it in a cinema with squeaky seats, so if i tried to move, I make too much noise.

meka_dragon PQMS8/00

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.