GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Discs of trouble"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/01/01 at 22:09
Regular
You can tell DVD is a newish format, there are still so many teething problems with it.
My DVD player will play everything bar the extras on Godzilla (though I'm not missing much, I've seen them on my PC DVD) but other players won't play entire films like the Matrix, this was never a problem with video, unless you count the different format wars between Betamax and VHS in the early days, at least we don't have that problem with DVD.
My main bugbear is flipper discs. These are the discs that you have to turn over to watch the other half of the film. Admittedly,there are flipper discs that are good. City of Angels has the whole film on one side and extras on the other, as does the Exorcist. This is an excellent idea for getting more extras on a disc. Bugs life has the wide screen version of the film on one side and pan-scan version on the other (it's also a very good film and well worth getting on DVD, if only for the outtakes and the movie)
Now, I would get Starship Troopers if I hadn't already found out that half way though an important scene in the film a hand rudely pops up and starts gesturing you to get out of your comfy armchair and flip the disc over. The cheek of it! Mary Poppins and early versions of Armageddon are the same.
My other gripe is film companies that think they can get away with releasing a dvd with little or no extras, or even worse, calling the different languages EXTRAS!! how dumb do they think we are?
That said, dvd is still a top format and well worth investing in for those films the companies DO get right!
Thu 11/01/01 at 22:09
You can tell DVD is a newish format, there are still so many teething problems with it.
My DVD player will play everything bar the extras on Godzilla (though I'm not missing much, I've seen them on my PC DVD) but other players won't play entire films like the Matrix, this was never a problem with video, unless you count the different format wars between Betamax and VHS in the early days, at least we don't have that problem with DVD.
My main bugbear is flipper discs. These are the discs that you have to turn over to watch the other half of the film. Admittedly,there are flipper discs that are good. City of Angels has the whole film on one side and extras on the other, as does the Exorcist. This is an excellent idea for getting more extras on a disc. Bugs life has the wide screen version of the film on one side and pan-scan version on the other (it's also a very good film and well worth getting on DVD, if only for the outtakes and the movie)
Now, I would get Starship Troopers if I hadn't already found out that half way though an important scene in the film a hand rudely pops up and starts gesturing you to get out of your comfy armchair and flip the disc over. The cheek of it! Mary Poppins and early versions of Armageddon are the same.
My other gripe is film companies that think they can get away with releasing a dvd with little or no extras, or even worse, calling the different languages EXTRAS!! how dumb do they think we are?
That said, dvd is still a top format and well worth investing in for those films the companies DO get right!
Fri 12/01/01 at 00:02
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
I congratulate you on (probably) winning filmaday (although at the time of writing this message, it has not been announced).

I feel I should point out that I am in no way indicating that you have contrived this post for that purpose - you are making a very valid point. It's just that this forum seems to be very unpopular at the moment. Only myself, Jimmy, SNIPER and yourself seem to have contributed today (including reviews) and since me and Jimmy have already won very recently and SNIPER hasn't really said anything (no offence) you must be the winner by default (even though the message you posted would probably stand a very good chance on a busy day as well).

Why is there so little interest in this forum?
Fri 12/01/01 at 18:02
Regular
SmokedKipper, i`m also am one of the few that has posted something nearly everyday since filmaday started, not just for the chance to win a DVD, but to hear the view`s about this new format and to get help when i don`t understand it, i only missed yesterday due to being very busy.......although my mum did a short but sweet review of The Green Mile :)
Anyway`s on to troubled discs, i know of none more that have been mentioned, although the South Park DVD is one of those `good` 2 sided DVD`s, with the normal version on one side and widescreen on the others, and the extras on both sides too.
You`d think that there would be more 2 sided "good" dvd`s, especially with TV series DVD`s, you could get alot of episodes on both sides, instead of more one sided DVD`s, cheaper for the manufacture and maybe.....dare i say cheaper for the average joe public to buy.
Fri 12/01/01 at 18:42
Regular
The problem you mention with some discs (like The Matrix) is specific to your DVD player.

Early models could not cope with "dual-session" discs (i.e. those with a film and something for your PC).

Take your player back to where you purchased it !

...especially if it was Woolworths
Fri 12/01/01 at 19:20
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
SickMan2001 wrote:
> SmokedKipper, i`m also am one of the few that has posted something
> nearly everyday since filmaday started, not just for the chance to
> win a DVD, but to hear the view`s about this new format and to get
> help when i don`t understand it, i only missed yesterday due to
> being very busy.......although my mum did a short but sweet review
> of The Green Mile :)

I think you've misunderstood me a bit. What I was indicating was that there are so few people contributing to this particular forum that anyone can come in with a contrived message, win a film, and then naff off. I didn't mean to sound like I was saying this applied to bluebeetle - his post was a good one (I haven't read the review which actually won him the film yet, but I will). With so little interest in this forum there'll end up being about half a dozen of us who win films on a rota just for posting any old cack. There would be no reward for making a particualrly good statement.

I won on the second day and yet I've continued to post here with my comments and opinions. Notice who it was who advised Non-Zero not to get Starship Troopers because of it's 2 sided format? I didn't post that to win a film.
Fri 12/01/01 at 19:46
Cheers Smoked Kipper, I always enjoy talking about subjects to do with my hobbies and watching/collecting films is something I'm really in to. I was honestly suprised to see my review was the winning entry, but it looks like they enjoyed the train quote, and that's what made it win.
Reviewing discs mean (to me at least) that I can tell everyone else if I've found a really good film/disc or even a real stinker. It might help someone decide what to buy if they are stuck for a new film. I'm not sure what I'll get myself yet.
Fri 12/01/01 at 19:46
Regular
Well if i win i`ll still be coming back nearly everyday to see whats happening, if Special Reserve decided to scrap the Filmaday, i`d hope they`d keep this discussion borad open as it`s a wealth of information for is newbies, and it`s a good place to share views on DVD`s, such as the great debate of........hmmmm should i get it on DVD? i already have it on VHS, yourself but my mind at ease about layer changes, i`d probably have been running round like a healess chicken thinking my player was broker if i didn`t get the info from this board:)
Fri 12/01/01 at 19:51
Regular
i`ll have to learn to spell one day:)
Fri 12/01/01 at 19:56
I've replaced most of my VHS tapes. I took them to a second hand video store and part exchanged them for DVDs or music CDs. Then I bought more DVDs!
Fri 12/01/01 at 19:58
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Spelling rite is four luzers. Keap riting as yew lyke. It dozent botheh me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.