GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"On average, people are idiots."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/02/03 at 16:34
Regular
I thought we were going reasonably well on the whole "we're not going to discriminate because of nationality" thing, until I was shown a few news articles earlier:

http://www.local6.com/orlpn/news/ stories/news-200517820030226-080202.html

'In a move that may anger some Francophiles or menu writers, a Palm Beach County commissioner has requested a resolution that would change the name of the American food staple known as "french fries." '

They want to call them "freedom fries" - taking that propaganda drive just a little closer to home.

and

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/ sm_754383.html?menu=news.quirkies

"A Danish pizzeria has banned French and Germans from dining there because of their country's stance on a war with Iraq."

I think that speaks for itself.
Fri 28/02/03 at 08:21
Regular
"Mudda owns BEARDS :"
unknown kernel wrote:
> I think you're being too kind. On average people are murderous bigots
> on whom life is wasted.

Indeed. And especially as a large chunk of the population are American, it all works out :D

That is one of the most retarded stories I've ever read.

Oh, and Danish are now retarded :)
Fri 28/02/03 at 01:58
Regular
I guess it depends on how you value things, and how you determine what's 'best' for the people.

If you consider pragmatics and practical benefit more important than having a say in how things work then yep, keep joe public out of the decision-making. If you value having a say in your future enough, maybe it outweighs efficiency of leadership.
IMO, democracy balances the two, giving people a say in how power is delegated to those who are (supposedly) best able to use it. Of course, the system has its flaws. Pleanty of flaws...

But when you have a group running things in the best interests of the people, who gets to decide what these interests should be?
Topically, Blair may think it in the British populations' best interests to take military action where necessary to minimise risk of outside attack, but the population may have other ideas, and figure it's in our best interests not to have blood on our hands.
Not about whether Blair or the people can best bring about their goal, but it comes down to what the goal actually is.
And I'm not sure the minority are really always capable of accurately deciding what the peoples' goals are.
Again, there's a balance with the electoral vote.

Not the best system, not the worst. IMO, of course.
Fri 28/02/03 at 01:34
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> You think you can run the world? So does every other uneducated peon
> around the world. The fact is, however, that you can't, and shouldn't
> have any influence over matters that don't fully understand.

No, I fully realise that I'd be incapable as a leader. I'd have a hellofalot more morals that most of the power-wielding monkeys out there at the moment though.

Actually, I agree with you, and was pointing out the hypocrasy of a well run democracy. Democracy, literally means the rule of the people. It's widely touted as the government of the free, wereas in actual fact, it's often little more than a totalitarian state where the elite ruling class control the ignorant masses through propoganda and fear. It's not the noble idea of democracy that I grew up with, but it's the sad truth.

It probably is better than letting every numpty have a say on every issue, but only assuming that the people at the top are acting in the best interests of the people, which I think many of us will agree is not happenning at the moment in places very close to you and me.
Thu 27/02/03 at 11:24
Regular
Insane Bartender wrote:
Stuff

Ah, I was going to go check the notable results...
Well done :^)
Thu 27/02/03 at 10:31
"Darth Vader 3442321"
A recipe for freedom:

Liberty Lasagne, Sycophantic Soup, Democratic Duck, Constitutional Carrots, Badly run Government Beans and Condoleeza Rice.

Cooked by Robin Cook and served by Bush tucker man.

Eaten by an anorexic supermodel and then chundered into the White House.

Blurgh, arughh, BLLAAIIIRR!!!
Thu 27/02/03 at 08:51
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
BEARDS. wrote:
> "A Danish pizzeria has banned French and Germans from dining
> there because of their country's stance on a war with Iraq."

Absolutely stupid! It's not their fault Chirac is a gutless worm
Wed 26/02/03 at 20:55
"Darkness, always"
Jonman wrote:
> So, by that, you mean that the govermental elite should keep the
> public in the dark, NOT do what the public wants, and just do what
> they think is best.
>
> Thanks for the insight, George.

You think you can run the world? So does every other uneducated peon around the world. The fact is, however, that you can't, and shouldn't have any influence over matters that don't fully understand.
Wed 26/02/03 at 19:36
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> The problem is, the vast majority of non-political people are
> pointedly incapable of digesting political information, and should be
> banned from seeing any politically slanted information of any kind
> whatsoever.
>
> Otherwise, they misinterpret the information they are given, come to
> unwarranted conclusions and undertake poorly considered actions.

So, by that, you mean that the govermental elite should keep the public in the dark, NOT do what the public wants, and just do what they think is best.

Thanks for the insight, George.
Wed 26/02/03 at 17:26
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Well, if they had proper chips, filled with potato, then they would be far too healthy, and there wouldn't be enough fat for them to taste good.
Wed 26/02/03 at 17:19
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
But the French didn't really invent them. Sure, Americans took the word "frites" and turned it into "fries", but French chips aren't that thin. You'd have thought the Americans would've supersized by now.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.