GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Food- (HUH!!) what is it good for?"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/02/03 at 13:18
Regular
Food- we all eat it. Whether it’s bacon for breakfast or lettuce for lunch. We all eat something. It is estimated that in Britain alone this year we will spend over 75 billion on food. So imagine the savings that could be made if we simply gave it up. In a single year there would be enough money saved to build 37,000 hospitals, or to buy well over 3 million Variety Club ‘Sunshine Coaches’. So just how important is food? Do we really need it, or is it just a waste of time?
Up till now scientists have always believed that we use food to keep us going, in much the same ways as a rocket uses fuel or a television set uses electricity. But now the experts are beginning to think again.
Over the years we have all heard reports of perfectly healthy people who eat nothing at all. There was the Australian Aborigine who hadn’t eaten for 50 years, who recently celebrated his 140th birthday. Or the story from Peru about a small child who fell down a well in 1938 and emerged forty years later a fully grown man, despite having had no food at all. And closer to home it is said that popstar Cliff Richard stays young by fasting all year round.
These are the rumours but what about the facts? Scientists need concrete evidence befire they burn the cookery books. So I decided to carry out my own experiment to see exactly how long the human body can survive without food. I used two people- Person A and Person B. I allowed person A to eat as much food as they wanted, but allowed person B no food at all. After two hours I asked them both to complete a crossword puzzle. Then, two hours later, I invited them to play Space Invaders. Half an hour later I had to stop the experiment when Person B remembered he had to go to the bank, and left in a hurry.
So I decided to take my experiment out onto the streets to see what you, the public, thought. Pub landlord Bob Taylor told me he eats three meals a day. When asked if he could do without food, he said ‘no’. Factory worker Graham Durkin had just bought a steak and kidney pie at the bar. When I asked him if he’d like to try and do without the pie, he became abusive and I was forced to leave.
Later, the manager of a nearby bakers shop admitted that his business would suffer if people stopped buying food altogether. But he refused to comment further and then asked me to leave, as there was a queue of customers building up behind me.
Nothing lasts forever- and food is certainly no exception. And whether we need it or not, we may find ourselves having to do without food sooner than we think. For experts have predicted that by the year 2200 supermarket shelves around the world will be completely empty. Food items that we all take for granted, like bread, sausage rolls and frozen pizza will be like gold dust to our grandchildren.
And as supplies run out, prices will soar. A tin of ham costing 60p today could fetch a staggering £100,000 in 75 year’s time. And as food becomes more expensive so people will have to find alternative things to eat. Scientists have already started looking for the foods of the future. They believe that oil, gas and coal could soon be part of our regular diet. In contrast, researchers in Russia believe that by the year 3000 humans will lead a strange, worm-like existence, living underground and eating soil.
I tried eating soil to see what life would be like in the year 3000. But I got diarrhoea.
Thu 20/03/03 at 07:46
Regular
True.
Tue 18/03/03 at 18:27
"Gracia senoir"
John.J© wrote:
> You can only go on without food for a couple of weeks.

And water for around three days.
Thu 27/02/03 at 14:24
Regular
You can only go on without food for a couple of weeks.
Wed 26/02/03 at 13:18
Regular
Food- we all eat it. Whether it’s bacon for breakfast or lettuce for lunch. We all eat something. It is estimated that in Britain alone this year we will spend over 75 billion on food. So imagine the savings that could be made if we simply gave it up. In a single year there would be enough money saved to build 37,000 hospitals, or to buy well over 3 million Variety Club ‘Sunshine Coaches’. So just how important is food? Do we really need it, or is it just a waste of time?
Up till now scientists have always believed that we use food to keep us going, in much the same ways as a rocket uses fuel or a television set uses electricity. But now the experts are beginning to think again.
Over the years we have all heard reports of perfectly healthy people who eat nothing at all. There was the Australian Aborigine who hadn’t eaten for 50 years, who recently celebrated his 140th birthday. Or the story from Peru about a small child who fell down a well in 1938 and emerged forty years later a fully grown man, despite having had no food at all. And closer to home it is said that popstar Cliff Richard stays young by fasting all year round.
These are the rumours but what about the facts? Scientists need concrete evidence befire they burn the cookery books. So I decided to carry out my own experiment to see exactly how long the human body can survive without food. I used two people- Person A and Person B. I allowed person A to eat as much food as they wanted, but allowed person B no food at all. After two hours I asked them both to complete a crossword puzzle. Then, two hours later, I invited them to play Space Invaders. Half an hour later I had to stop the experiment when Person B remembered he had to go to the bank, and left in a hurry.
So I decided to take my experiment out onto the streets to see what you, the public, thought. Pub landlord Bob Taylor told me he eats three meals a day. When asked if he could do without food, he said ‘no’. Factory worker Graham Durkin had just bought a steak and kidney pie at the bar. When I asked him if he’d like to try and do without the pie, he became abusive and I was forced to leave.
Later, the manager of a nearby bakers shop admitted that his business would suffer if people stopped buying food altogether. But he refused to comment further and then asked me to leave, as there was a queue of customers building up behind me.
Nothing lasts forever- and food is certainly no exception. And whether we need it or not, we may find ourselves having to do without food sooner than we think. For experts have predicted that by the year 2200 supermarket shelves around the world will be completely empty. Food items that we all take for granted, like bread, sausage rolls and frozen pizza will be like gold dust to our grandchildren.
And as supplies run out, prices will soar. A tin of ham costing 60p today could fetch a staggering £100,000 in 75 year’s time. And as food becomes more expensive so people will have to find alternative things to eat. Scientists have already started looking for the foods of the future. They believe that oil, gas and coal could soon be part of our regular diet. In contrast, researchers in Russia believe that by the year 3000 humans will lead a strange, worm-like existence, living underground and eating soil.
I tried eating soil to see what life would be like in the year 3000. But I got diarrhoea.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.