GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cigarettes and alcohol"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/02/03 at 13:07
Regular
I bought some fags this morning, and thanks to the new legislation on advertising, they now come with a warning that covers over half the pack. Mine says “SMOKING KILLS”.
Good job they told me that, I had no idea. Wow, just think – there I was thinking I was going to live forever but now I guess I’m doomed to pass away like a mortal.
Bummer.

Now, it’s all very well the government suddenly taking such an interest in my well-being and physical health. But something just doesn’t add up for me.
They want to protect me from indulging in something that may be harmful should I continue over a long period of time. Fair enough, thanks for caring.
What I’m wondering is when they will do the same for alcohol?
When we will have warnings on beer that says “Warning, alcohol kills. Oh, and it can also make you obnoxious, violent, unfit to drive, impairs functionality of your body, can induce vomiting if ingested, has been known to exaggerate feelings of depression and unhappiness when consumed in quantity and is also responsible for unprotected sex – which can lead to sexually transmitted diseases, unwanted children and even death”

Seems a little unfair to me to single out cigarettes. Sure they may eventually cause cancer, but that’s all. That’s the most serious thing that can happen to me should I continue to smoke, I die.
Same holds true with alcohol though. Smoking damages the lungs, true. Drinking damages the liver.

So the government decides to ban tobacco advertising in an attempt to “prevent youngsters from starting”.
What they neglect to mention is that cigarette advertising is not aimed at luring new customers, it exists to promote brand loyalty. The idea behind is not “Let’s get people smoking”, but let’s convince the addict that our brand is better than their current choice.
But they have decided to band cigarette ads. Oh, but not in Formula One for another couple of years. This has no link to Bernie Eccleston donating over £2 million to the Labour Party though, and you’d be a fool and a terrorist sympathiser to think so.

So why ban advertising? If the government feels that strongly about it, then ban it. But they wont, because of the billions generated in revenue from smokers. If they were that concerned, they’d treat it like they do cannabis (which is less harmful than cigarettes because of the lack of carbon monoxide, carcinogens and ammonia included to keep it burning. That’s why joints go out so easily, there are no chemicals impregnated to ensure it stays lit).
Why do you think government got so huffy about Duty Free and the abolishment of personal limitations (or at least the relaxing of amount)? Because we all go to France, pay half-price and the UK loses out hundreds of thousands of pounds in taxation.
Bad smokers! Imagine that, an addict seeking the cheapest method of feeding the addiction.

Yet smoking has become almost as intolerable as child-molesting in the eyes of some people. People who, in all probability, drink.
Now to me, drink is far worse than a fag. Why?
Because I cannot ride up on the pavement and kill a child because I smoked 9 before driving home that night.
Because I am not going to have a fight with a stranger because I’ve been out smoking all night with my mates.
Because I can never end up homeless because of a raging nicotine addiction.
Because an alcoholic is unable to function correctly without a drink, whereas a smoker just gets angry.
Now I’m not saying ban drink, I’m saying take a step back and think like a reasonable human being instead of reacting immediately and condemning.
It’s an addiction, other addictions are looked upon as medical conditions. But not smoking.
“Well it stinks” – so does someone out boozing all night
“It can damage my lungs” – so can a drunk driver
“It can kill if used correctly” – so does alcohol.
“It’s anti-social” – worse than public disorder and violence?

Where I get really angry though is the smokescreen (pun intended) that is deployed every single year come budget day.
Fags rise by 10-15p a pack every year. Yet spirits and beer rise minutely, if at all.
Yet more people drink than smoke, it would be faster to collect revenue by taxing alcohol more than cigarettes.
So why doesn’t this happen?
Simple.

Because if booze is cheap, it’s the easiest way to escape the problems you are faced with every day.
You work in a climate of fear and uncertainty about job security. You are being told over and over about terrorist threats and tanks on the streets. You worry about money, whether you’ll be happy, whether your kids will grow up well and safe.
A climate of induced fear and paranoia.
And a carpet-bomb method of advertising a quick and easy way to escape those troubles – Have a drink!
Get drunk and forget your worries, it’ll be alright.
Soap Operas with the pub as central gathering point. Commercials on tv for beer, ads in cinemas making booze look cool, alco-pops aimed at the lucrative teenage/underage drink market.
Hook ‘em young and they’ll be in forever.
Flavoured vodkas, jelly-shots, shandy (for kids to drink and pretend to be drunk! Laugh at your 7yr old already displaying signs of seeing alcohol as an amusement center!!!!).

Keep the population frightened of imminent attack from Arabs or immigrants, they’ll be compliant and too scared to question things like military vehicles at airports.
But hey, keeping them scared isn’t enough because after a few months of waiting for this soon-to-happen end of world event that never occurs, they’ll start to question you.
But don’t panic, booze is cheap and readily available. Encourage your citizens to drink. They’ll soon forget about things and be so terrified by the news each day and papers screaming about Albanian refugees that before you know it, we’ll all be begging for identity cards to keep us safe and could we please have CCTV in our homes in case Saddam uses his bombs on us.
Let’s just stay in and lock the door, if things get too hard we can have a drink and feel better.

Alcoholism is an affliction, just as smoking is. Nobody forces you to drink, just as nobody forced me to smoke.
So why is a substance that can alter moods, destroy brain cells, incite violence and hatred, affect your reactions and perceptions (wow, it’s almost like I’m talking about cannabis – except for the violence) deemed acceptable and ok to promote on tv, cinema, magazines and billboards?

Again, for the reactionaries or those that haven’t manage to reach the bottom – I’m not saying ban alcohol.
I’m saying grow up and think for yourself instead of meekly accepting what you are told.
Because cigarettes don’t kill people, people do.
Let’s ban us instead.
Fri 28/02/03 at 11:07
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
However I choose to see the world is my perogative.

Thank christ I'm not stuck in a humourless, self-important existence that appears bereft of any ability to think outside of black and white.
Fri 28/02/03 at 11:02
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Goatboy wrote:
> Honestly, sometimes I wonder what planet I'm on

Your obviously just misunderstood......

Seriously though, your constant "I want you all to die and me too" complaining is getting boring, strange as it may seem Bill Hicks did not hold the key to all the world's problems, and neither does Armageddon or anything else.

Holiday ? Yep, 28th March - 5 April, and two other dates this year, so you'll all be able to have a holiday from me for a week.

~~Belldandy~~
Fri 28/02/03 at 10:20
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Goatboy wrote:

> Honestly, sometimes I wonder what planet I'm on

My planet Earthling, so behave yourself. By the way does anyone have any ideas what I could do with the appendix? The tail thing is old hat and I'm sure blokes wouldn't want two willys, would they?
Fri 28/02/03 at 02:27
Regular
I think the goverentment is taking the a bit with all thier advertising on TV at the moment. They've reached record levels with some almost stupid ones...

You seen the one about warning people about postal scams? WTF? Are people really that stupid? Does tax money really have to be spent to stop idiots thinking they can make millions in a matter of moments?!

As for smokers, they are a constant drain on the NHS. Considering the amount of tax they pay though...I guess your paying for your operation to cure any cig smoking disease well in advance. So its all good (in theory)
Fri 28/02/03 at 01:24
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
Goatboy wrote:
>
> Honestly, sometimes I wonder what planet I'm on.

I get like that sometimes, but 15 pints,a few scotchs, a healthy tumbler of absinthe and 60 Marlboroughs see me straight. Amazing the clarity you can achieve when you're puking blood.
Fri 28/02/03 at 00:12
Regular
But I believe a significant amount of the point of the post was justified through the comparison of treatment of alcohol against tobacco.
And some people would consider there to be legitimate reasons for the different treatment.

Meanwhile the general points expressed through the examples relating to tobacco advertising are also subject to interpretation.
A combination of generally weak arguments to defend smoking and the lack of credible oposition, coupled with other distiraqtions, allowing Blair to go off on some crazy tangent with no real reprisals by way of election changes, could also explain most of what we've seen from labour of late.

So there's pleantly of scope for different views, IMO.
Thu 27/02/03 at 23:48
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Bell mate, take a holiday from yourself.

And it appears nobody got my point here. It's nothing to do with Iraq or whatever stick is lodged up your butt today.

Everyone here should learn some humour and actually read a post before contributing.
It's nothing to do with the effects of smoking or the benefits of smoking over drink.

Honestly, sometimes I wonder what planet I'm on
Thu 27/02/03 at 19:44
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
And, while I'm on a rant;

http://www.globalsecurity.org/ military/world/iraq/airfields.htm

My, thats an awful bloody lot of military airfields for acountry with no airforce isn't it ?

http://www.globalsecurity.org/ military/world/iraq/air-force-equipment.htm

Those aircraft and copters are for pleasureflights, obviously....

And for added fun value;

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd /library/news/iraq/2003/iraq-030226-dod01.htm

Another read showing how the dictators love of his own people does not apparently stop him placing military targets amongst them, and also includes comments on the voluntary human shields who have gone out there, notice how skittish the responses get when it comes to whether they have foregone their civilian status......

~~Belldandy~~
Thu 27/02/03 at 19:27
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
My Grandad smoked from when he was a boy, until he was 75. Heart Attack #1.

Quit, 4 years later heart attack #2.

One year ago, bowel cancer - treatable.

2002, lung cancer shows up on an Xray, untreatable. He spent the last 8 weeks of his life in hospital, and the last three of those in a near coma. He died late november.

You may not die young, but it gets most smokers in the end, so yeah, smoking is cool.

~~Belldandy~~
Thu 27/02/03 at 19:20
Regular
"¬_¬"
The sooner cigarettes themselves are banned, the better.

And you're an absolute for smoking, you know that. It reeks, it's not cool, and you're just being ignorant thinking the government is stupid. The government is being sensible, because no longer can adverts put across smoking as cool or anything else.

Fair enough if you're addicted, because I know what it's like. But if you aren't persistent enough to quit, then you really deserve the agony that smoking can put you in. My grandad got gangrene from smoking, and now he only has one leg. Let's hope the same happens to you. Then you'll see what the government's on about.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.