GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"war novels"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/02/03 at 16:43
Regular
Anyone read any decent ones recently? the last good ones I read were 'Against the Day' and 'Empire of the sun'.
Fri 28/02/03 at 17:37
Regular
"gsybe you!"
ADH wrote:
>> > Net Force series(a series of books he wrote with another guy

I have Breaking Point.

One of the dullest and least innovative books ever.

The really bad part of Clancy.
Fri 28/02/03 at 17:35
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
They were typically included in the term "allies", especially seeing as they took Berlin first, and suffered the associated casualties...

~~Belldandy~~
Thu 27/02/03 at 22:32
Regular
"That's right!"
I'm sure Russia didn't come into the "allies" term. Sure, they were allies, but when people said "the allies", they thought of America, Canada, Britain, France etc. The Soviets were always kept seperate.
Thu 27/02/03 at 17:23
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
froots wrote:
> Read 'All Quiet On the Eastern Front' Its a WW2 novel, written by a
> German soldier, and it tells how the allies were sometimes just as
> brutal as the axis powers. It is greatness.

Surely, if it was written by a German soldier, the word "biased" comes to mind.....undoubtedly the allies were brutal at times, but anyone who has read the Berlin book, or the previous Stalingrad one by the same author, can see how the Germans effectively set themselves up for horrendous treatment by the Russians by demoninsing the russian forces. German people were led to believe the Russians we're little better than dirt, and this meant that was how the Russians who were invaded/captured were treated. Then, when the Germans found themselves on the retreat, the surviving Russians had vengeance on their minds. I'm not justifying the actions of the allies, except to say that the whole problem began with the Germans themselves.

Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy is excellent, and he showed remarkable foresight in this novel, and in others. One of the great things about Clancy, for all his critics, is that you often read the book, then years later you see it or something similar, in the news, for real. That is talent.

~~Belldandy~~
Wed 26/02/03 at 23:25
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Cyclone wrote:
> Clancy gets really dull.
>
> *generic this, generic that, adds generic situation, to create, oh!
> Genric result*
>
> This is of course, the staple diet of most bestsellers, but his gets
> REALLY dull.
>
> Red Storm Rising is good, having said that.
>
> *does a hypocrite dance*
>
> And the Sharpe novels. Classic yarns.
>
> :)

You don't often find someone who finds Clancy "ok". Generally people like him or hate him. I personally find all his work fantastic.

Rainbow Six, Without Remorse (possibly his best?), Patriot Games, the Net Force series(a series of books he wrote with another guy), and The Bear and the Dragon, are all fantastic in my opinion.
Wed 26/02/03 at 23:14
Regular
"That's right!"
Band Of Brothers (which I'm almost finished) is great, and I guess D-Day is too (by the same author, but I haven't read it yet, it's gathering dust on my bookshelf)
Wed 26/02/03 at 23:14
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Clancy gets really dull.

*generic this, generic that, adds generic situation, to create, oh! Genric result*

This is of course, the staple diet of most bestsellers, but his gets REALLY dull.

Red Storm Rising is good, having said that.

*does a hypocrite dance*

And the Sharpe novels. Classic yarns.

:)
Wed 26/02/03 at 23:07
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Belldandy wrote:
> Try Berlin: The Downfall by Antony Beevor , only thing is that it's
> not fiction but real, and kinda brings home what really happens in a
> war.
>
> Other than that I only read Tom Clancy war stuff so I'd say any of
> his, Rainbow Six is great read.
>
> ~~Belldandy~~

Rainbow Six... by FAR my favourite Clancy book, and considering current world affairs, it's a great read.

I found it particularly frightening though, and the concept truly does make you think, especially when we find various world powers so hell-bent on destroying one another at the moment.
Wed 26/02/03 at 21:04
Regular
"Not a Jew"
No, I've read that one too, Spot gets blown up on a landmine in that book, this book is called something different.
Wed 26/02/03 at 21:02
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Spot goes to war

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.