GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MiniDisc ---> PC"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 23/02/03 at 13:31
Regular
Right. I have something on a MiniDisc that I need to transfer to PC. I have a lead that will go into my MDs headphone socket and into another headphone jack size socket. I also have a mic socket on my PC speakers, but when I run the MD through there the quality is crap...

I've looked at the back of my PC and there are 5 headphone sized sockets. They are yellow, blue, pink, green and black. The pink and green ones are used (my speakers are plugged into them) so they must be output not input sockets. I can't pull the PC out far enough (due to short cables) to see the symbols next to the various sockets, so I was wondering if anyone knew which would be the input socket, or if I need some special cable to get an MD recording onto PC...

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.
Mon 24/02/03 at 17:23
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I got it in using the input socket and recorded using the 'Sound Recorder' program (I think it comes with all versions of Windows, I found it in accessories in the Start menu).

But thanks for all the help :-)
Mon 24/02/03 at 12:45
Regular
"How Handy."
Minidisc Data Drive == v. expensive and v. rare...
Mon 24/02/03 at 00:01
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yeah you'll be hard pressed to find a soundcard which reads optical digital

http://www.esdl.co.uk/body/mdte/mdte.htm

Read the last requirement though.
Sun 23/02/03 at 23:23
Regular
to do it properly tho you will need to use an optical cable but pcs wont use them yet. ive seen cables that link your pc to mini disk! through usb. not cheap tho.
Sun 23/02/03 at 21:04
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Ah, excellent, Found the input socket, twas the blue one.

Now just need to find a way to record... *commences searching PC for programs that allow recording from line in*
Sun 23/02/03 at 15:15
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Green, pink and black are 5.1 outputs, so you can ignore those. The one next to pink should be line-in, so you can plug your minidisc into this.

However, you'll need a way to capture this, which I'm afraid I can't help you with. You could try windows sound recorder and change the input to line-in, maybe...

Make sure you haven't muted line-in in your volume control before you start.
Sun 23/02/03 at 14:21
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
MD to PC. Well, I'm thinking that you have a 3.5mm Jack to 3.5mm Jack lead. Which is good.

Put one end in the MiniDisc headphone socket, and put the other into the input of your soundcard. Sounds to me like your soundcard is 4.1/5.1 so maybe you have a special input socket or something.

You need to pull your pc back a bit. :o)
Sun 23/02/03 at 13:31
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Right. I have something on a MiniDisc that I need to transfer to PC. I have a lead that will go into my MDs headphone socket and into another headphone jack size socket. I also have a mic socket on my PC speakers, but when I run the MD through there the quality is crap...

I've looked at the back of my PC and there are 5 headphone sized sockets. They are yellow, blue, pink, green and black. The pink and green ones are used (my speakers are plugged into them) so they must be output not input sockets. I can't pull the PC out far enough (due to short cables) to see the symbols next to the various sockets, so I was wondering if anyone knew which would be the input socket, or if I need some special cable to get an MD recording onto PC...

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.