GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BBC TV to be streamed live from next week."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/11/08 at 15:36
"Are you sure?"
Good news for all BBC TV fans out there...

I like the BBC iPlayer and find it handy to catch up with the odd program I miss.

So I'm pleased that the BBC are now going to stream 'live' TV - it worked well for the Olympic coverage.

The only downside is that ADSL congestion is likely to increase - as it does already when events like Wimbledon or the Olympics are on :(

Link to BBC news item

Search Freeola Chat
Sat 22/11/08 at 16:18
"Are you sure?"
Machie wrote:
> Do you think this will include movies too? America already has
> Hulu and IMDB for their free tv shows and movies. :(

Not sure yet if films will be available - normal 'catchup' iPlayer doesn't show them, so we'll have to see how the BBC treat the live streams.

Tip for dual monitors
I have a dual monitor set up. Frustratingly if you try to watch iPlayer in full-screen mode and then use (click mouse etc.) the other screen it breaks full screen mode on iPlayer. It seems to be an Adobe Flash issue rather than an iPlayer one and there doesn't seem to be a way of stopping it from happening!

I've found that using the 'zoom' function on your browser (CTRL+ '+') to increase the video size works well. Increasing to around 180% works well for me. Here's a picture of my desktop showing it in action.

Back to streaming TV.
ITV do also stream live TV now (as well as their catchup service) for some programs - obviously you have to put up with the adverts and also a website that doesn't work as well as the BBC's iPlayer.

Search Freeola Chat
Wed 19/11/08 at 21:16
Regular
Do you think this will include movies too? America already has Hulu and IMDB for their free tv shows and movies. :(
Wed 19/11/08 at 20:56
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
awesome.
no TV right now and they dont have MOTD or MOTD2 on iPlayer.

hooray for 2good 2bad returning to my screen! :D
Wed 19/11/08 at 16:21
"possibly impossible"
It's all moving in the right direction. All we need now is for someone to kick BT up the backside and get them working on vast improvements for our networking infrastructure.
Wed 19/11/08 at 15:51
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
ITV do it for some football now, but they use Silverlight :(
Wed 19/11/08 at 15:43
Regular
That's great news, now I just need Channel 4 and ITV to do the same. :)
Wed 19/11/08 at 15:36
"Are you sure?"
Good news for all BBC TV fans out there...

I like the BBC iPlayer and find it handy to catch up with the odd program I miss.

So I'm pleased that the BBC are now going to stream 'live' TV - it worked well for the Olympic coverage.

The only downside is that ADSL congestion is likely to increase - as it does already when events like Wimbledon or the Olympics are on :(

Link to BBC news item

Search Freeola Chat

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.