GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DVD: The Pro`s & Con`s - A DVD story"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 10/01/01 at 18:32
Regular
There`s been alot of discussion on this board about, the pros & the cons of DVD players & DVD Movies.
Here`s my views:

First off, i purchased a DVD player because at the time, my cd player (a sperate) died on me and i was looking for a new CD player seperate to go with my ampilfier and speakers. Then someone suggested to me, "Well why don`t you geta DVD player, you can blast your CD`s and watch movies that are better quality in sound and picture (a Pro).
So after looking around i found out that the Special Reserve prices of DVD players were the same as a high quality cd player seperate, and the DVD players all were quality so i purchased one and put it away for Xmas.

Christmas day arrived and after a easy setup and M:I:2 was the first DVD in the player, And i had the DVD reaction of my jaw dropping and the sound bouncing around the room, excellent quality picture & sound plus lots of extra`s on the DVD to play with (another Pro)

Now the extras on some DVD`s are crap, if you already have the film on VHS then it can put off buying the DVD version ( a con)
But saying that there`s always the better picture and sound quality, and some DVD`s do the film their rightly `justice` by having that movie experience and make hteir VHS conterparts....well crap. (a Pro)

Now some extras on DVD are a complete waste of time in my view, you watch them once and that`s it, and i still don`t get this director commentary on some DVD`s, i wanna watch the film not have someone talk through it.(a con in my view)

But then you have the extras that are really great, finding out how the film was made or how those stunts were done (like M:I:2) (a Pro)

The region issue will be going on until the next new fangled format comes out, i live in England (Region2) and i have a region 2 player, yes region 1 DVD`s come out first and they have extra `extra`s` sometimes, but saying that, if you have a multi-region player then are you gonna buy this DVD from America, play lots more just to get it first and some extra`s, well thats upto you. (a con)

Prices, yes there are more expensive and rightly so everyone should complain about it, they are probably cheaper to manufacture than VHS tapes anyway. (a con)

But saying that you do get those extras on some and on some you get 2 version`s of the movie e.g. South park, where you have widescreen and normal versions on different sides, where as if you got them on VHS you`d have to pay £12.99 twice if you were daft enough buy them both.

Anyway to finish this long waffiling, i own a DVD player, i`m very happy with it, i can blast CD`s and buy DVD`s of new and classic films, plus rent DVD from local video shop. And in a few years time when recordable DVD players are out and at a reasonable price i will probably get one when my current DVD player dies.

SO that is my views:)

Wed 10/01/01 at 18:32
Regular
There`s been alot of discussion on this board about, the pros & the cons of DVD players & DVD Movies.
Here`s my views:

First off, i purchased a DVD player because at the time, my cd player (a sperate) died on me and i was looking for a new CD player seperate to go with my ampilfier and speakers. Then someone suggested to me, "Well why don`t you geta DVD player, you can blast your CD`s and watch movies that are better quality in sound and picture (a Pro).
So after looking around i found out that the Special Reserve prices of DVD players were the same as a high quality cd player seperate, and the DVD players all were quality so i purchased one and put it away for Xmas.

Christmas day arrived and after a easy setup and M:I:2 was the first DVD in the player, And i had the DVD reaction of my jaw dropping and the sound bouncing around the room, excellent quality picture & sound plus lots of extra`s on the DVD to play with (another Pro)

Now the extras on some DVD`s are crap, if you already have the film on VHS then it can put off buying the DVD version ( a con)
But saying that there`s always the better picture and sound quality, and some DVD`s do the film their rightly `justice` by having that movie experience and make hteir VHS conterparts....well crap. (a Pro)

Now some extras on DVD are a complete waste of time in my view, you watch them once and that`s it, and i still don`t get this director commentary on some DVD`s, i wanna watch the film not have someone talk through it.(a con in my view)

But then you have the extras that are really great, finding out how the film was made or how those stunts were done (like M:I:2) (a Pro)

The region issue will be going on until the next new fangled format comes out, i live in England (Region2) and i have a region 2 player, yes region 1 DVD`s come out first and they have extra `extra`s` sometimes, but saying that, if you have a multi-region player then are you gonna buy this DVD from America, play lots more just to get it first and some extra`s, well thats upto you. (a con)

Prices, yes there are more expensive and rightly so everyone should complain about it, they are probably cheaper to manufacture than VHS tapes anyway. (a con)

But saying that you do get those extras on some and on some you get 2 version`s of the movie e.g. South park, where you have widescreen and normal versions on different sides, where as if you got them on VHS you`d have to pay £12.99 twice if you were daft enough buy them both.

Anyway to finish this long waffiling, i own a DVD player, i`m very happy with it, i can blast CD`s and buy DVD`s of new and classic films, plus rent DVD from local video shop. And in a few years time when recordable DVD players are out and at a reasonable price i will probably get one when my current DVD player dies.

SO that is my views:)

Wed 10/01/01 at 19:09
Alot of good points there, I totally agree with your veiws, a good summary.
Fri 12/01/01 at 18:36
Regular
Well, folks, I'd like to point out there there are some "techhie" points to DVD that are positively poor compared to good old analogue video:-

1. Better picture quality ?

Infact, most digital decoders leave artifacts ! Try playing a scene where the whole screen is changing quickly like the surface of a pond. You'll see blocking...

2. Layer change

When the DVD changes layer on the disc, the film tends to
"stick" for an instant. This is really annoying.

We're all sold on better picture quality which isn't 100% true. After all, our eyes are analogue aren't they ?
Fri 12/01/01 at 19:30
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Both of your points lean towards the poorer DVD players (including some big names). Picture quality isn't perfect due to the extent the data on the DVDs is compressed. All players produce the same data when the disc is initially decompressed - it's what they do on top of this that sorts the men from the boys.

As I have said before there is NO JUSTIFICATION WHATSOEVER for layer changes to be noticeable on ANY DVD player. They exist simply because of cost-cutting tactics resulting in slower data transmision rates and decompression speeds.
Fri 12/01/01 at 20:51
Regular
SmokedKipper wrote:
> Both of your points lean towards the poorer DVD players (including
> some big names). Picture quality isn't perfect due to the extent the
> data on the DVDs is compressed. All players produce the same data
> when the disc is initially decompressed - it's what they do on top
> of this that sorts the men from the boys.

As I have said before
> there is NO JUSTIFICATION WHATSOEVER for layer changes to be
> noticeable on ANY DVD player. They exist simply because of
> cost-cutting tactics resulting in slower data transmision rates and
> decompression speeds.

Well it`s too late for me, my DVD player is 2 months old now, i can`t say "Oi! Special Reserve, exchange my DVD player for a one that doesn`t recognise layer changes", but here`s a weird piece of tencho malarky, on the back of my DVD player, theres the PAL/NTSC/AUTO switch, now if i keep it on PAL most of the layer changes are seamless or microscopic, but on AUTO they are about half a second.....weird!
Fri 12/01/01 at 21:06
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Believe me, your Pioneer will handle layer changes a lot better than many very big named players and most of the seamless ones are a bit on the rubbish side in terms of picture quality. Don't regret your choice because of one slight (and very common) problem.

The PAL/Auto difference it weird though. I'll get back to you if I think of anything.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.