GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Right, Networks..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/02/03 at 20:11
Regular
I need a very simple, layman's terms guide to networking 2 computers together.

They must be able to :

1) share files
2) share users
3) share desktop
4) share peripherals
5) be able to connect to BB (I have BB on one computer at the mo).

What will I need? Exactly? How do I do it? Both will run Windows XP. And keep it simple :D

Sun 23/02/03 at 11:41
Regular
Your the 2000th person to say that. cant you read what other people have put

Turbonutter wrote:

> You could get two network cards and a length of crossover for
Sun 23/02/03 at 03:17
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Er

You could get two network cards and a length of crossover for £20 and that's all you really need. If you want to go for a network with more than two computers you're looking at £8/computer for NICs + £30-$50 for a switch/hub and then your cabling costs, which vary massively depending on where you get them from.
Sat 22/02/03 at 19:53
Regular
well, like i said,it mite disconect. lol, yeh i forget about that, you oculd do with a hub,i think thats an option anyway. not cheap tho.
Sat 22/02/03 at 19:33
Regular
If you put a USB - USB cable then i would think it would go BOOM, you will need to get a proper USB network kit, although it is cheaper to buy 2 NIC's and a length of crossover cat5 cable.

c.b.
Sat 22/02/03 at 16:36
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Nasty boy wrote:
> USB-one big usb lead from one pc to the other, althought you may
> encounter many problems with it disconecting a lot

Won't that go boom?
Sat 22/02/03 at 12:20
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Thanks to ya all :D

I'll try it out, and get back to you as to how I get on.
Fri 21/02/03 at 21:46
Regular
to do it i think you could do either of these

a HPDN- Use your phone line as a networking system, Plug a rj 11 lead from your network card to your phone line on both pcs. (not sure about it tho)

USB-one big usb lead from one pc to the other, althought you may encounter many problems with it disconecting a lot

Cat5- Use cat5 cables, link one pc to the other directly
Fri 21/02/03 at 21:25
Regular
"bing bang bong"
phuzzy wrote:
> 1) share files
> 2) share users
> 3) share desktop
> 4) share peripherals
> 5) be able to connect to BB (I have BB on one computer at the mo).

1 is pretty straightforward, although XP may try and trip you up royally
2 is not possible without a domain name server
3 is a bit trickier, and probably not worth the effort
4 I've never tried to do
5 is very straightforward, XP practically gifts it to you
Fri 21/02/03 at 21:23
Regular
"bing bang bong"
The walkthrough answer for this would be about 5 pages long, so I'm not going to bother. You only need the equipment Whooo! recommended (unless you're planning to add more computers to your network in the future - then I'd recommend two network cards, a hub and two non-crossover network cables), make sure you get the right sort of network cable for your setup (crossover versus non-crossover/straight through). I'd recommend you set your gateway PC (that is, the computer connected to both the internet and the LAN) to have an internal ip of 192.168.0.1, and the other to have an ip of 192.168.0.2. If you have any problems working it out, do ask questions, but please make them specific, we don't like sorting your life out for you.

You may find www.practicallynetworked.com a useful site to visit. Good luck!
Fri 21/02/03 at 20:46
Regular
"How Handy."
2 Network cards and a crossover cable. simple.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.