GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"We are all gamers together"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 20/02/03 at 19:31
Regular
So, we are all gamers right? So, why do we have meaningless arguments amongst ourselves, when we all enjoy the same thing? Gaming! Sure, that is not all our lives depend on; I mean, no offence, but if you wake up, play your games and go to bed, you need to get out more. Even though this is the case, we can still have quite fiery arguments about games and which console is the best etc. but there is no point in these arguments.
Surely if someone else thinks ISS is better than FIFA, then you should let them think that. If you are a hardened Tekken fan, it doesn’t mean that everything that you do is absolutely perfect, and that Dead and Alive is the worst game ever. Some people say that a game is rubbish without even playing it; they window-shop and make an opinion on it. Unfortunately, these people are often very stubborn, and if you ask them to come round and have a go at this “hopeless” game of yours, then they often refuse, just in case they are proven wrong. It is people like this that tear gamers apart, when we should all live as one big community. We should be able to share news, information and opinions, and our beliefs should be respected, whatever they are. Why can’t the Spyro games be good just because the Crash Bandicoot ones are? There is no law against making a decent game, you know.
Also, does it really matter what console you own? Aren’t we all glad that at least we have a games console, when people around the world don’t even have food? It is completely ridiculous to accuse someone of being sad or “old-hack” because a newer edition of his or her console is out. Maybe they don’t have the money to buy this console, or maybe they actually have lives, unlike the accuser, and so want to spend their money on something different, like a new bike, or a musical instrument. Why is this bad? “Why are you getting a bike instead of a Playstation 2?” people have asked me. Well, to start with, it isn’t up to them, it is my life, yours is yours, so go and live it. If you are sad enough to tell me what to spend my money on, just because you did, I don’t think I want you in my life anyway. In the end, just to annoy the people that told me to get a Playstation 2, I went and bought a GameCube. This may seem spiteful and pointless, but to be honest, I don’t need anyone’s advice on what console to buy, as I have my own mind and opinion, and I thoroughly enjoy playing on my GameCube.
The worst argument of all, though, is the stupid “No, my consoles better than yours” one. Are we this cocky and up ourselves these days that even when someone has spent a fair bit of cash getting hold of a new console, we accuse them of making a mistake. I heard a fellow GameCube owner at my school accusing people with an X-Box of “Owning a brick”. I don’t think this is the way to go about making friends and joining a network of friends in the console world. To be honest, new consoles are almost pulling gamers further apart, as everyone seems so competitive when it comes to gaming. Even when you are playing are game with someone, you see him or her throw down his or her controller in anger. Sure, it is great to be passionate about things, but to be frank, is this not pushing it a bit far? Stupid arguments, pointless battles, worthless comments. Normal society is full of them, but I would think that such a common interest as gaming would bring people together, not tear communities and friendships away from each other.
I still don’t understand why people argue about something that they enjoy, and why people don’t discuss the gaming world properly, instead of throwing insults at someone else’s console or game. The only positive side of gaming is when people like myself and hopefully some others play multiplayer games on the same console, on the same game, even though they own different consoles. You can have a really great time if you play a game with a friend, but if you act like a sad, “I am always right” kind of person, I guess that you probably don’t have any friends to play multiplayer games with anyway. I have seen people take magazines to school, give them to someone else to read, and that person, who has just been handed someone else’s property, fling it over their shoulder pronouncing “that’s naff, why have you got that?” I think I would reply with “Why did you just throw my magazine across the room. “Why have you bought that game, you should get…” All I can say to these people is get lost, and you wait until people read this post and damn you to hell and I hope that you never get to try out another console again, as you don’t deserve the prospect. I am begging these people to please, please see that we are all gamers together.
I hope that people reading this will agree with me. If anyone can help me find out why, please reply to this message. Thanks for reading, it was great to get all this stuff off my chest. If you read this, please comment, and prove to me that I am not alone in this fight.

By Highly Excitable
Fri 21/02/03 at 18:47
"period drama"
Or a ga mer.
Mer is french for sea if I remeber correctly.

Which, sorta, means we're all queer oceans.
Hmm.
Fri 21/02/03 at 17:59
Regular
"Incomprehendible"
Gamers are people that enjoy playing videogames or PC games. Although it could be someone who plays board games...
Thu 20/02/03 at 22:05
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
Memorandum wrote:
> Whats a gamer????

Erm... I think it's a cross between a "game" and an "er".
Thu 20/02/03 at 21:50
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Whats a gamer????
Thu 20/02/03 at 19:31
Regular
"Incomprehendible"
So, we are all gamers right? So, why do we have meaningless arguments amongst ourselves, when we all enjoy the same thing? Gaming! Sure, that is not all our lives depend on; I mean, no offence, but if you wake up, play your games and go to bed, you need to get out more. Even though this is the case, we can still have quite fiery arguments about games and which console is the best etc. but there is no point in these arguments.
Surely if someone else thinks ISS is better than FIFA, then you should let them think that. If you are a hardened Tekken fan, it doesn’t mean that everything that you do is absolutely perfect, and that Dead and Alive is the worst game ever. Some people say that a game is rubbish without even playing it; they window-shop and make an opinion on it. Unfortunately, these people are often very stubborn, and if you ask them to come round and have a go at this “hopeless” game of yours, then they often refuse, just in case they are proven wrong. It is people like this that tear gamers apart, when we should all live as one big community. We should be able to share news, information and opinions, and our beliefs should be respected, whatever they are. Why can’t the Spyro games be good just because the Crash Bandicoot ones are? There is no law against making a decent game, you know.
Also, does it really matter what console you own? Aren’t we all glad that at least we have a games console, when people around the world don’t even have food? It is completely ridiculous to accuse someone of being sad or “old-hack” because a newer edition of his or her console is out. Maybe they don’t have the money to buy this console, or maybe they actually have lives, unlike the accuser, and so want to spend their money on something different, like a new bike, or a musical instrument. Why is this bad? “Why are you getting a bike instead of a Playstation 2?” people have asked me. Well, to start with, it isn’t up to them, it is my life, yours is yours, so go and live it. If you are sad enough to tell me what to spend my money on, just because you did, I don’t think I want you in my life anyway. In the end, just to annoy the people that told me to get a Playstation 2, I went and bought a GameCube. This may seem spiteful and pointless, but to be honest, I don’t need anyone’s advice on what console to buy, as I have my own mind and opinion, and I thoroughly enjoy playing on my GameCube.
The worst argument of all, though, is the stupid “No, my consoles better than yours” one. Are we this cocky and up ourselves these days that even when someone has spent a fair bit of cash getting hold of a new console, we accuse them of making a mistake. I heard a fellow GameCube owner at my school accusing people with an X-Box of “Owning a brick”. I don’t think this is the way to go about making friends and joining a network of friends in the console world. To be honest, new consoles are almost pulling gamers further apart, as everyone seems so competitive when it comes to gaming. Even when you are playing are game with someone, you see him or her throw down his or her controller in anger. Sure, it is great to be passionate about things, but to be frank, is this not pushing it a bit far? Stupid arguments, pointless battles, worthless comments. Normal society is full of them, but I would think that such a common interest as gaming would bring people together, not tear communities and friendships away from each other.
I still don’t understand why people argue about something that they enjoy, and why people don’t discuss the gaming world properly, instead of throwing insults at someone else’s console or game. The only positive side of gaming is when people like myself and hopefully some others play multiplayer games on the same console, on the same game, even though they own different consoles. You can have a really great time if you play a game with a friend, but if you act like a sad, “I am always right” kind of person, I guess that you probably don’t have any friends to play multiplayer games with anyway. I have seen people take magazines to school, give them to someone else to read, and that person, who has just been handed someone else’s property, fling it over their shoulder pronouncing “that’s naff, why have you got that?” I think I would reply with “Why did you just throw my magazine across the room. “Why have you bought that game, you should get…” All I can say to these people is get lost, and you wait until people read this post and damn you to hell and I hope that you never get to try out another console again, as you don’t deserve the prospect. I am begging these people to please, please see that we are all gamers together.
I hope that people reading this will agree with me. If anyone can help me find out why, please reply to this message. Thanks for reading, it was great to get all this stuff off my chest. If you read this, please comment, and prove to me that I am not alone in this fight.

By Highly Excitable

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.