GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Email failure messages if address doesn't exist."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/11/08 at 13:02
"Are you sure?"
Hi,
One of my clients has just pointed out that if you write to an invalid email address you don't seem to receive any type of failure message or notification.

I've tested this out and it's also what I'm seeing.

Can you say if this how things are supposed to work?
I'm guessing you might have filtered these types of failure messages to stop SPAM that makes use of them perhaps?

Thanks.

Freeola ADSL Central Pipe Status
Sat 22/11/08 at 09:56
"Are you sure?"
Thanks for that.
It seems to be the same for all the addresses I've tested - so perhaps lots of providers don't send failure messages anymore.

Perhaps to stop Joe Job type attacks?

Search Freeola Chat Freeola ADSL Central Pipe Status
Fri 21/11/08 at 19:30
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
No as far as I'm aware we're not. Although how servers handle bounce messages and other errors varies a lot. AS we use grey listing then there is a chance the repsonses from other servers might not make it through if they are setup to only send the error message once.
It's a tricky one to get round. Welcome to the minefield that is spam filtering!
Tue 18/11/08 at 17:53
"Are you sure?"
Thanks for that Bob.

I've seen my client today and the problem is where they send to non-Freeola accounts and don't see any type of failure message.

Reading your reply you mention that Freeola servers don't send a message but are you also filtering similar error messages from other providers?

Thanks.

My Freeola Instant Site
Mon 17/11/08 at 17:09
Regular
Hi Hmmm,

Your correct in that our servers do not send out messages if an address does not exist. This is a server load issue due to spam. In effect when a spammer sends a dictionary attack (sending to a few million guessed dictionary words at a domain) we would then send back a whole load of bounce messages which would make the servers run slow.

I hope that helps to explains the issue.
Fri 14/11/08 at 17:44
"Are you sure?"
Hi Eccles,
No, not using a 'contact form'.
Just using a standard email account from a Freeola registered domain (using a Freeola ADSL connection) to send an email.

Nothing clever going on - [email protected] sending an email using Outlook but miss-types the address - nothing ever comes back?

I've tried to re-create things sending to Freeola and non-Freeola addresses but it all has the same result.

Sorry if my first post wasn't very clear...

Fri 14/11/08 at 16:57
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Do you mean when using the contact form and putting in an email address contact email should be send to or when filling out the contact form on the web site?

If you fill out you email address when sending someone a message through the contact form then firstly you have to pass the Captcha check and then your email address is validated to check its formatting is correct.
We don't check to see whether the address is actually in use as that would have to potential to slow the process down and also if a mail server was temporarily down then we'd reject the address.
Fri 14/11/08 at 13:02
"Are you sure?"
Hi,
One of my clients has just pointed out that if you write to an invalid email address you don't seem to receive any type of failure message or notification.

I've tested this out and it's also what I'm seeing.

Can you say if this how things are supposed to work?
I'm guessing you might have filtered these types of failure messages to stop SPAM that makes use of them perhaps?

Thanks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.