GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game a Day"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/08/05 at 14:10
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Dunno if you guys knew this (probably do), but SR are supposedly doing away with the membership thing. I was going to update it the other day and the guy was like "actually its not worth it, you might as well save your money cause as of the next magazine, which should be pretty soon, we're not doing the membership anymore."

Was hoping to win a game before the 360 comes out. ;-) Thing is I'm reluctant to try it now cause my membership has run out and I'm guessing the whole membership thing is still in effect for the competition. Hmmmmmmmmm.
Sun 04/09/05 at 22:37
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Edgy wrote:

> Game do, Gamestation do, so why should SR be any different.

With the greatest possible respect, I used to work at GAME,.. they DON'T buy games in for £28. Rarely do they buy them in for more than £20.
Sun 04/09/05 at 22:34
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Edgy wrote:
> SR don't buy games for £28, Edgy.
>
> Game do, Gamestation do, so why should SR be any different.

What? Are you saying that SR make £1 profit on every game they sell? I'm saying they don't buy the games from the publishers for £28, that's just what they sell them on for.
Sun 04/09/05 at 22:19
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> Edgy wrote:
> To buy a brand new release game: £28 (approx)
>
> SR don't buy games for £28, Edgy.

Game do, Gamestation do, so why should SR be any different.

It obviously depends on the title. Hulk, for example, was so cheap for retailers to buy, that they were able to give it away with consoles. Whereas most the big retailers deals involve only a maximum of 50% off a game with consoles.

Seeing as most people are going to pick the biggest games for GAD prizes, then most GAD prizes are likely to cost SR more than £20.
Sun 04/09/05 at 17:01
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Edgy wrote:

SR don't pay £28 per game. For GTA, granted, it might be as much as £20-22, but Ubi games can be as low as £12 so I imagine the average to be around £18.

> To pay a member of staff minimum wage to pick game as part of duties:
> £5 (approx)

Yes, but they do other things. If the Prize.php page (opr whatever it is) was updated every day, it'd take about 15 minutes max.

> Postage: (can't be bothered to look up)

The chances are they pay once big payment a year and they can post between 'x' and 'y' parcels a year. They certainly don't (shouldn't) pay what we pay if they're sending stuff in bulk.
>
> It benefits SR moreso if people pick games that have already been out
> for a while.

I don't see how. Especially if SR paid £20 for that game and a newer games only cost them £16. Okay, so it'd be good to get rid of old stock, but financially it'd make little difference, if any!
Sun 04/09/05 at 14:39
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Edgy wrote:

SR don't buy games for £28, Edgy.
Sun 04/09/05 at 14:31
Regular
Game wrote:

> Hopefully they won't stop GAD... from a business point of view it's
> genius.. it attracts loads of people to the site and that
> £10-20 a day (that it costs to give away a game) it the price
> of some peoples lunch.

To buy a brand new release game: £28 (approx)
To pay a member of staff minimum wage to pick game as part of duties: £5 (approx)
Postage: (can't be bothered to look up)

It benefits SR moreso if people pick games that have already been out for a while.
Sun 04/09/05 at 13:34
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
I heard, from a friend, that in the shops there will be no longer membership prices, so everyone will be charged the same and (I'm guessing replacing the Reddys) when you spend over £15 you get some kind of token and when you get five of these you get £5 kocked off your next purchase. Uncomfirmed, obviously, but that's what I heard.

Apoligies for the pop
Thu 25/08/05 at 10:01
Regular
I just bought two years the other day, stupid bas'
Wed 24/08/05 at 18:03
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I review my old back catalogue out of sheer boredom... I wish there was a mountain somewhere where I could snowboard...

I should play golf more.

Or maybe go somewhere. Tokyo, maybe... Iceland... Yellow Stone National Park....

Hopefully they won't stop GAD... from a business point of view it's genius.. it attracts loads of people to the site and that £10-20 a day (that it costs to give away a game) it the price of some peoples lunch.

I hope they update it soon... but I guess the site rebuild is taking up a lot of time.
Wed 24/08/05 at 17:57
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I'm guessing GAD will still go on - just the membership will be stopped so people don't have to pay the £7.50 each year. Its just that right now, with my membership being expired, its not worth me trying for GAD until I know I can win a game instead of a membership for a few weeks.
;-))

Not saying that I'd definatly win of course, just putting the situation across if I did. ;-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.