GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Time"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/02/03 at 19:23
Regular
How many of you scrolled down to see how long this post was?

Can't be bothered to read something if it's over a certain length?

Have you got some place else to be, or something else to do?

Would reading this be a waste of your time?

Just how much time have you got?

Do you want to read a few posts before you stop to watch a specific program on the television later? Or do you have nothing else to do, and you're just going to keep on reading posts, reply to messages until you're bored, then find something else to do?

For the last few years I don't feel that I've had enough time. I've had the same amount as everybody else though, surely. My days last 24 hours just like yours, 1440 minutes just like yours, 86400 seconds, just like yours. Am I just selfish to want more?

Or is the problem that I'm not doing the right things with the time I have, and am blaming something I have no control over for it?

Right now, is writing this a good use of of my time?

Quick answer, yes, I feel I need to write it down, as it will help me to see it the way I want to, help me to get over another one of those stumbling blocks that happens to fall into my way.

Alternative answer, and indeed the only alternative to yes, would be no. If I check the forums later, and see that I have no or just a few replies, then I'll feel it was a waste of my time. Even though it's something I'm trying to get clear in my head, I still need you to recognise it in some way.

Yes that's right, I need you, I still need you, as much as I ever did.

Since these forums were cruelly taken from me by my evil employers things haven't been the same. I mean, I can understand them doing it, I'm paid to work, not spend all day on the forums, writing, reading, enjoying myself.

So these 8 hours, they used to be the main time I spent here, and I felt part of something special. Now I have plenty of work to do in those 8 hours, (not always my employers...) but things have changed so drastically here, that it will never be the same again, and I can't get it back.

It really does upset me when I get no, or few replies to a post. I think it means nobody read it. A hit-counter on each thread would make my day, week, month, as I would then no for sure whether you people were reading or not.

Which comes back to time.

I want to know if I'm wasting my time, writing as I do.

Things I write on these forums tend to be ideas, things I'd like to develop, but then if nobody has anything to say about them, I figure that they must not be any good.

Why should I care what a bunch of people on a forum think?

Feedback.

It's so much better than sending out letters, waiting for a reply that's a simple yes or not.

"Good post Meka!"

That gives me confidence, empowers me. Sad isn't it?

Without these forums I would never have even believed that I could write anything. So I haven't got anywhere so far, but i have the confidence to try.

All because I was 'wasting' my time on the forums.

If I do get anywhere with this, I wonder if I'll still feel like I never have enough time.
Wed 19/02/03 at 12:02
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
I know this feeling and was only considering this today. It was interesting to read this thread as I have only started a few posts in the forums and only ever seem to get 1 reply to each. That one reply though makes me (sorry, stuck for the right word) to know that at least one person has read it and has taken the time to comment.

I don't check the length of the posts or even who posted it and I do tend to read most of them. The only problem I seem to have is that I am always quite late at reading posts and someone else has usually said what I would like to have said. So I don't bother to add anything.

Having said that, if I find that the post is getting overly long or boring I tune out and will read something else.

Another habit I have for long posts, that I am late visiting, is that I often check the replies to see what other people have commented.

It is good, not sad, that replies empower you and give you confidence.

Good post by the way.
Tue 18/02/03 at 16:35
Regular
"I like cheese"
Tiny bit off-topic but still, this is why I get as many people as possible to reply to SRW matches with their thoughts and views. I mean, yeah, we can just read it (which is the main point of it, obviously) but getting replies proves to you that people read it (if they talk about their favourite part etc.) and boosts your confidence. We can also give advice.

As you said, there's no hit counter for threads here so replies, I feel, are a must.
Tue 18/02/03 at 16:13
Regular
"Excommunicated"
To be honest I usually check the length of a post before reading it... not on purpose but after reading lots of crap I like to spend my 'time' reading stuff I like.

I usually only read people's stuff that I like or read something from a newbie to see if they'll be worth reading later on. I don't mean to, but it happens.

Sometimes if I'm in the mood and you post a story I'll read it... sometimes I might not. Sometimes I reply and sometimes I don't... not much else to reply rather than 'Good'.

I spend a bit too much on this forum I guess, mainly because I enjoy it and like reading good topics. And I don't watch TV and go on net instead really.

Yep
Tue 18/02/03 at 15:34
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
maddmun wrote:
> I've never actually visited the retro games forum, or the game idea's
> (If they aren't the same forum)

Then shame on you!

**wags finger!**
Tue 18/02/03 at 15:32
Regular
I've never actually visited the retro games forum, or the game idea's (If they aren't the same forum)
Tue 18/02/03 at 14:48
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
It's a good point Meka, I make the odd post in Retro Games, but never seem to get many replys, Is that because no-one reads them, or because they can't be bothered to reply or make a comment! A hit counter though would show that i'm not mearly writing just for my pleasure but for others as well (Not that they'd care though obviously!).
Tue 18/02/03 at 00:48
Regular
That post sucked.....

Only joking Meka, don't cry.
Tue 18/02/03 at 00:43
Regular
"everyone says it"
Good Post Meka!

No but really, you are a superb writter, write a book about my life and I'd buy it!

On another note. Grix and Pink Floyd - he must be thinking he can steal my tag from me. I am their biggest fan ! :P
Mon 17/02/03 at 20:52
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Time waits for on one, apparantly. But still, I feel the same. A hit counter would be great, as I tend to have the same predicament. Spend time writing a post, and then watch it sink.

So you're not alone, and don't worry about it. People *do* read your posts, and trust me, with a reputation like yours Meka, you shouldn't worry at all. :)
Mon 17/02/03 at 20:38
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I read, I think, I fail to compose my thoughts coherently, I give up, and read something else. Repeat to fade.

Not this time. I'll just post them incoherently and see what happens.

Some thoughts:

I should post something to acknowledge Meka's thread.

I don't like it when my posts aren't acknowledged.

The reason I post here, rather than just read, is to get a reaction. It's the same for everyone. Just about eveyone here can identify with Meka's
thread in some way.

I'm still not going anywhere with this post. Why am I bothering?

Ah, there's a point. Need to stop thinking of myself. I shouldn't just be posting here to get a reaction or provoke thoughts, I should be doing it so that other people get some feedback too.

Even if that means I'm posting gibberish?

Hmmm. Not sure about that. Can't hurt occasionally I suppose. Then again, there's a lot of rubbish on these forums anyway. Not in the Life forum though. Except for this post perhaps.

That's it. Mind blank. No sudden inspiration. Overpowering urge to delete and restart, make some point revolving aroudn the selflessness idea.

I'd end up not posting it though.

*click*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.